[SOLVED] Did I brick my Netgear R6700? gpio disable 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RoomClearInnTemper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 14:39    Post subject: [SOLVED] Did I brick my Netgear R6700? gpio disable 7 Reply with quote
I'm running the 4/6 firmware on my Netgear R6700-V1.

I was trying to disable all the annoying bright LEDs on the front, and ran this script I found for the R7000 in my Startup script.

Code:
for i in 2 3 8 9 12 13 17 18 ; do gpio enable $i ; done
for i in 14 15 ; do gpio disable $i ; done

On reboot, most of the LEDs turned off, but the LAN lights were still flickering, so I SSH-ed in and tried to enable/disable a couple other gpios not listed in the script (stupid, I know, and I now know these last lines of code at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1061297&sid=88eaf54625244acc3e28a2dac32e31b6 might be the fix for the LAN LEDs). When I entered

Code:
gpio disable 7

The power LED came on and turned orange, I lost my connection, and the router rebooted itself. But then I couldn't connect anymore wired or wirelessly. I tried opening up my subnet and pinging the default IPs and the old IP, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.48.1, but nothing came back.

So right away, I tried to factory reset by pushing a paper clip in the hole for 7 seconds, then tried again holding it for 30 seconds. Now I see a dd-wrt protected SSID being broadcast and the LEDs are back to normal, so looks like it factory reset itself. However,

When I'm hardwired in set to DHCP/automatic for everything, I get an IP address of 192.168.0.126 but no gateway (and it says No Network Access in Windows)
    I can't ping 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, even when I set everything manually
    arp -a doesn't give me any real physical MAC addresses, so it looks like the router doesn't have an IP address
    running a layer 2 LLDP scan, I see no devices
    running a Wireshark scan while plugged into the router, I see nothing to/from the router

Is there anything I can do besides throwing my router in the trash?

Last edited by RoomClearInnTemper on Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:21; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be getting a 192.168.1.x IP. You should only have to push the reset button for ~10 seconds when powered up. Not sure if you enabled some magic voodoo recovery mode, but it would be using the 192.168.1.1 address if so. Try resetting with the button again.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
RoomClearInnTemper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed! I was able to get into the dd-wrt SSID by using the password listed under the router, and from there I could use my restore using a router IP of 192.168.1.1. Whew. No idea why hardwiring wasn't working.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could've been something to do with holding reset too long, no telling. Marked as solved, glad you got it sorted.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: