Isolated 'Powerline' Guest Network

will-12345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 14:14    Post subject: Isolated 'Powerline' Guest Network Reply with quote
Hi. I was wondering if you could help, please.

I have everything set up pretty much as I would like it, with both a private network and an isolated primary guest network. In addition to the 2 wireless networks broadcasted by my DDWRT Router, I also have a Netgear Powerline [PLW1000] extended wireless network [plugged into my DDWRT with LAN] for guests at the far end of the property who are not in range to access the primary guest network.

The only change I would like is to ensure that the secondary guest network, transmitted wirelessly from the Netgear Powerline, is isolated from all other networks. At the moment, the secondary guest network seems to be bridged to my private network.

I'd be grateful for any help. This is my first post, so please go easy on me! Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Router Model Netgear R7000; Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r43136 std (05/13/20)
Kernel Version Linux 4.4.223 #108 SMP Wed May 13 08:27:55 +04 2020 armv7l
CPU Model Broadcom BCM4709; CPU Cores 2; CPU Features EDSP; CPU Clock 1000 MHz

The IP for my DDWRT Router is 192.168.1.1; The IP for my primary guest network is 172.16.1.1; The IP for the Powerline connected to my DDWRT Router is 192.168.1.117
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
You weren't very clear about this "isolated primary guest network" as to whether that's wired, wireless, or both. Typically it would be wireless by creating a VAP specifically for guests. Any other remote network (regardless of the specifics of its infrastructure, e.g. powerline) can connect to that VAP using a wireless client device (e.g., wireless ethernet bridge). It's no different than any other wireless client that connects to the guest VAP.
will-12345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks so much for looking at this eibgrad and sorry that I wasn't more specific.
Both the 'private network=A' and 'isolated primary guest network=B' are wireless. The third wireless network (C), for further away guests, is broadcasted by the Wireless Powerline, which is plugged into the router with a LAN. I would like C to be isolated in the same way that B is, but can't work out how to do it.

Does that make sense? Thanks.
-------------------------------
A: Wireless Physical Interface wl0 [2.4 GHz TurboQAM] Physical Interface wl0

B: Virtual Interfaces wl0.1
DHCPD
Multiple DHCP Server
Interface wl0.1: IP 172.16.1.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP 0 wl0.1 On Start 100 Max 50 Lease time 1440
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Separate a LAN port on the switch into it's own VLAN.

As your router is Broadcom, you have to post in that forum. We cannot give you a generic answer for this chip-set dependant question.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Detached_Networks_using_VLAN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: