Wifi stopped working, Transmitted (TX), 0 OK, 8754 errors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bernardino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:53    Post subject: Wifi stopped working, Transmitted (TX), 0 OK, 8754 errors! Reply with quote
Today our wifi just stopped working. I haven't made any changes to the router settings or any of the physical connections in months. The router works fine, wired connections work fine, but no device can connect or even see the router's wifi.

When I look at Status > Wireless > Wireless Packet Info, I see Received, 0 OK, no errors and Transmitted, 0 OK, 8,000 errors and that number keeps going up!

When I hit Site Survey, I can see the APs of all my neighbors.

Linksys WRT54GL
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) vpn - build 13064

wifi.jpg
 Description:
wifi stopped working, wireless status
 Filesize:  59.23 KB
 Viewed:  42111 Time(s)

wifi.jpg

Sponsor
bernardino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
A factory reset appears to fix it, but if I try to restore my settings then the problem comes back. Guess I'll have to reset and redo all my settings by hand. :(

Anyone know what would cause this?
Phonism
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read the stickies, you'd know that the build you are running has issues. Try a more recent build and post your settings. Good luck =)

Asus RT-AC66U DD-WRT v24-sp2 giga - build 25015 [Main]
Linksys E3000 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega - build 15962 [Backup]
Linksys WRT600N v1.1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 [Retired]
Linksys WRT54GS v4 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini - build 15747 [Retired]
E3000 Info | WRT600N Info | Know-it-all thread
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
bernardino wrote:
A factory reset appears to fix it, but if I try to restore my settings then the problem comes back. Guess I'll have to reset and redo all my settings by hand. :(

Mainly interference, you probably will always have some rx/tx errors to some extent.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Packet_Info_-_RX/TX_Errors

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will not have 0 transmitted due to interference. You likely failed to do a proper hard reset when you flashed. See the announcements.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
bernardino wrote:

How did you restore? I recommend after a factory reset to manually restore, NOT from any backup files.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
bernardino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phonism wrote:
If you read the stickies, you'd know that the build you are running has issues. Try a more recent build and post your settings. Good luck =)

Yeah, but this isn't just poor wireless performance. I didn't have any wireless performance problems at all and I've been running that build for months! Just one day, BAM, wifi didn't work at all and a restart did nothing. "Restore Factory Defaults" fixed it, but it also wiped out all my settings which I have to re-enter now. Sad If it was the build, I should have been having this problem all along, and restoring to factory defaults should not have made a difference, no? I made a backup before I did the factory restore, and if I restore from that backup, the problem comes back, so I'm thinking something funky happened to the nvram?

What's a good way to grab all my settings, just do a show nvram and copy the text? I'll have to restore from backup to grab the settings again.

Peabody wrote:
You will not have 0 transmitted due to interference. You likely failed to do a proper hard reset when you flashed. See the announcements.

But the wifi stopped working without me doing any flashing. In fact, I had not made any changes to the router in weeks. The last time I flashed was when I flashed to my current firmware months ago.

mac913 wrote:
bernardino wrote:

How did you restore? I recommend after a factory reset to manually restore, NOT from any backup files.

I only restored after factory reset to see if the problem came back. The problem did come back with the restore, so I did a factory reset again and wifi works again but all my settings are gone.

By "manually restore" do you mean typing everything back in by hand, or is there another way to do it?

The fact that restoring the backup file (which is just a copy of the nvram, right?) causes the problem to reappear makes me thing that sometime was wrong with the nvram. The fact that the wifi problem just suddenly happened without me making any changes at all for weeks, and that a restart did not fix the problem, makes me think that either the nvram was corrupted or possibly ran out of space?

The backup bin file is 31kb, is that an acceptable size for nvram on a WRT54GL?
westvandude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try build 12874 I believe. That's what I'm using. Works good.

By manual settings, yes, I believe they are referring to the 30/30/30 reset procedure. Hold reset button 30secs with power on, hold it with 30 seconds power off, keep holding another 30 seconds after powering on. Now put in settings.

You want to do the 30/30/30 for your old firmware before upgrading, then load new firmware, then 30/30/30 again. Don't forget that part.

Any other wifi in your area on same channel or high power?

Not experienced enough to help you further.
bernardino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in case someone else has this issue with 0 OK 8,000 Errors TX, I figured out how to fix my issue. I didn't upgrade my build or anything, same build. I restored my backup, and of course the problem came back. I then disabled the WiFi security, I'm assuming this wiped the settings from NVRAM. I then re-enabled wifi security and set it up to be what it was before, same password and everything. It's working fine now, no problems, just as good as it was before.

So if you see this weird WiFi problem, disable your wireless security settings, save, then setup your wireless security again.

Probably, somehow the wifi security settings in my NVRAM got corrupted.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peacock thread note 1 would probably fix this as well.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
jhu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
bernardino wrote:

So if you see this weird WiFi problem, disable your wireless security settings, save, then setup your wireless security again.

Probably, somehow the wifi security settings in my NVRAM got corrupted.

I too was having a wifi problem, without security everything was working, with security (regardless of type) I saw 0 ok and 1000's of errors.

For me disabling and re-enabling security was not enough. DD-WRT kept remembering the WPA key.

I managed to fix this issue by using the following commands:

nvram set wl1_wpa_psk
nvram commit

The first command is usually followed by a key, but by omitting it I cleared it from the NVRAM, the second command writes the changes to the NVRAM.

Since these two commands my WRT610n is finally transmitting on the second radio (A/N on 5 Ghz).
If anyone else is having a problem with the FIRST wifi radio, please use nvram set wl0_wpa_psk.
ptruman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had 13064 running on 2 WRT54GS (1.1) boxes for the last few months with NO hassles.

Just moved to the latest beta (all working so far) - but I've not seen any issues alleged to be exist with 13064 - maybe I'm lucky?
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ptruman wrote:
I've had 13064 running on 2 WRT54GS (1.1) boxes for the last few months with NO hassles.

Just moved to the latest beta (all working so far) - but I've not seen any issues alleged to be exist with 13064 - maybe I'm lucky?

Very lucky. EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION: When someone recommends a build, you should take a look to the left of their post, look at their profile details, and see how long they've been on the forum, as well as how many posts they have. Yes, I'm suggesting you discriminate. Who would you rather get advice from...a complete novice, or someone who's been around here for a while and knows what they're doing? The solid names in the game are Murrkf, redhawk0, barryware, phuzi0n, crashfly, Peabody, and obviously Eko and Brainslayer, to name a few. Keep in mind that the latter two are dedicated devs, and work on debugging and developing the code...they don't work on helping everyone get third party stuff working. So when your optware doesn't work, they aren't the ones to ask. They have plenty on their plates anyway.

My point is...When you're told to read the peacock thread, we aren't telling you this simply because we don't want to deal with you. We're telling you this because 99% of the time, a new user who posts here has failed to follow proper instructions exactly, decided they knew better, and wound up with their hardware working incorrectly. I have NEVER had my rigs go down, EVER...I have never had major bugs, other than what known bugs have been present in previous builds. Why? Well, on the one hand, I don't mess with them much...I set up my 610nv1 to act as the gateway and AP for my network, and other than that, I pretty much leave it alone. But most importantly, I followed the instructions. All of them. To the letter. And I have yet to be steered wrong.

Original poster: You are using a KNOWN BUGGY BUILD. READ THE PEACOCK THREAD, up/downgrade to one of the recommended builds there (while following the proper instructions for flashing), reconfigure your rig (don't use the nvram backup) THEN come back here and let us know how you're doing. For this particular issue, if your hardware hasn't failed (which is quite unlikely) then whatever is causing your transmitted packets to drop will most likely be resolved by doing what you've been told.

As for everyone else: I don't suggest you recommend a build just because it works good for you. I don't recommend anything other than what the regulars and the mods recommend, because I'm only running one router, and I'm not doing a whole lot with it. People like Barryware have dozens of routers (they actually save on their heating and lighting bill), configured for all sorts of things including WDS, client-bridge, repeater/repeater-bridge, you name it. When they recommend something, pay attention...chances are, what they're using will work for you.

I think I've said enough.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

ptruman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did I suggest my post was a recommendation?
Did I suggest my post was advice?

No.

It was an *observation* (possibly in the wrong thread, granted, since I can't see anything listed against 13064 other than "poor performance" - which I've not had)

I also stated (quite clearly) "maybe I'm lucky?".
I also stated (quite clearly) I've upgraded.

I've been using DD-WRT for a couple of years, and have had issues that others users both have and have not had - some may indeed (have) be(en) build related.

Perhaps some people should consider reading things a little more objectively, rather than mistaking comments for something they aren't.
bernardino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Peacock thread note 1 would probably fix this as well.

But that'd wipe out my settings as well. I was trying to find a temporary workaround for the problem without requiring a complete wipe of my settings as I didn't want to have to go through and re-enter all my settings.

socal87 wrote:
Original poster: You are using a KNOWN BUGGY BUILD. READ THE PEACOCK THREAD, up/downgrade to one of the recommended builds there (while following the proper instructions for flashing), reconfigure your rig (don't use the nvram backup) THEN come back here and let us know how you're doing. For this particular issue, if your hardware hasn't failed (which is quite unlikely) then whatever is causing your transmitted packets to drop will most likely be resolved by doing what you've been told.

Read the peacock thread, know it's a buggy build, just don't have time to go through the process of up/downgrading firmware and re-entering all my settings. Posted to see if anyone knew of this issue with this build (yes, knowing it's buggy) and had a "workaround" until I actually have the time to go through the ideal steps.

My hardware hasn't failed (guess I must be extremely lucky, like ptruman), in fact it's been working great. Whatever caused my transmitted packets to error out was fixed by what appears to be resetting the wireless security settings, either as I did or jhu did. I also noticed that uPnP was creating a boat-load of forwarding entries that were getting saved to nvram, a quick way to fill up nvram I'm sure.

I don't think fiddling around with this build is the best solution, but given that I feel like I don't have the time (yet) to go through with the ideal solution, this solution will have to do. If I end up bricking the device, I take responsibility with it because I took the risk in order to save time. Someone else may be in my position though (such as jhu) and this info might be helpful to them, knowing that the better solution is of course to upgrade to a better build. I don't think this post causes any harm though.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: