USB, Optware, Samba, xinetd, Qos trouble on E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 15:29    Post subject: USB, Optware, Samba, xinetd, Qos trouble on E3000 Reply with quote
I'm running an E3000 with 14929 (THE recommended trailed build from the wiki for initial flashing, actually).

Last night I decided to format my portable hard drive and try getting Samba working. The hard drive is partitioned as such:
Code:
partition 1: 2GB EXT3 (For /opt)
partition 2: swap (I can't remember how big, maybe 256MB)
partition 3: The rest of the drive (~900GB) for data (EXT3)

I enabled USB support in the web interface, enabled USB 2, ext, and automount as /opt. Plugged the drive in and I noticed it connected fine and the first partition was mounted as /opt.

Then I ran Frater's "Optware - The Right Way" script following the wiki guide on it and it went without a hitch. After it installed and I rebooted the router, I followed the directions to replace Samba with Samba 3.5 (My clients are Win7, and according to the wiki Samba 2 wasn't going to work for me).

Once that was all set up, and I could see the share from Windows, I started transferring a file to it to see how it worked. This is where the trouble started. Apparently QoS kicks in and counts traffic to the USB port of the device in the downlink queue. There are some firewall rules to fix that according to the QoS wiki, but rather than deal with that at the moment I just disabled QoS for the time being (I'll get back to that at another time).

I also disable my web interface with the checkbox in the web interface and only fire it up when I need it (using httpd -h /www) and kill it when I'm done (using killall httpd). This is because for some reason after about an hour of running httpd pegs the CPU at 100% on my E3000 (Not on my E2000 running 14929 though), and since the router is fully configured how I'd like, except for tweaks, I figured I'd just not run httpd if I didn't need to.

When I installed Optware, however, when I start httpd and go to 192.168.1.1 in my browser instead of getting the web interface I just get a 404. If I unmount /opt my web interface starts working again. (I have been searching for an answer to why, but haven't come up with anything so far...anyone?) Does it have something to do with enabling xinetd so that I could use SWAT? If so, is there a fix? I couldn't find any information in the wiki about that though.

So I'm stuck on that and I have yet to try the QoS fix, but some light reading indicated it didn't work on K2.6 builds (I didn't get too far into it, other than shutting it off to test later).

My other question is this: In the OTRW wiki article, it says "Use the LATEST build." I've had some trouble with the latest builds on my E2000 (I didn't think I was having trouble, but then I noticed a couple things, so I went back to 14929, and that's what I am also using on my E3000). By "LATEST", what build is recommended if it's not 14929?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of these questions.

Cheers!
Sponsor
carnelain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running into some trouble myself and especially your last questions intrigue me:
Quote:

My other question is this: In the OTRW wiki article, it says "Use the LATEST build." I've had some trouble with the latest builds on my E2000 (I didn't think I was having trouble, but then I noticed a couple things, so I went back to 14929, and that's what I am also using on my E3000). By "LATEST", what build is recommended if it's not 14929?

If somebody has a sensible answer I would like to have it for a wl500g deluxe Embarassed

ps. Not trying to hijack your topic.
bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
No worries...I'm still stuck on this as well...no amount of futzing around has solved my problems.

Actually tempted to go back to stock firmware on the E3000 just to see if that works. Anyone know if stock has a samba server (I didn't even look at the stock firmware other than the upgrade page)
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
For an E3000, some swear upon build 15962, others on 16785. Myself I played it safe using 14929, until I needed miniDLNA. I used neither 15962 nor 16785, 14929 worked good for me, with Optware and MyPage. I used neither Samba nor QoS. Now I am very satisfied with version 18730M by Kong: it has good USB speed, good automount support, it has privoxy in it (the vpn version) and if you need Samba, it is there by default (version 3.6). The only thing which does not work in this build is WiViz. The miniDLNA can be ripped from the DLNA version and it works on the vpn version (I had to do this, because I downgraded miniDLNA to the version available in 18050M).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
For an E3000, some swear upon build 15962, others on 16785. Myself I played it safe using 14929, until I needed miniDLNA. I used neither 15962 nor 16785, 14929 worked good for me, with Optware and MyPage. I used neither Samba nor QoS. Now I am very satisfied with version 18730M by Kong: it has good USB speed, good automount support, it has privoxy in it (the vpn version) and if you need Samba, it is there by default (version 3.6). The only thing which does not work in this build is WiViz. The miniDLNA can be ripped from the DLNA version and it works on the vpn version (I had to do this, because I downgraded miniDLNA to the version available in 18050M).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving 15962 MEGA a whirl now. I see it has Samba support built in, so perhaps I'll forgo Optware (I only wanted Optware to do Samba to begin with).

I'll report back how it works out.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: