Netgear XR500 boot issue with 2020-02-20 firmware...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Sephiroth
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Netgear XR500 boot issue with 2020-02-20 firmware... Reply with quote
I was updating my personal XR500 router and ran into a major issue. I updated to the firmware released on Feb 20 this year and upon doing so the router was nearly bricked. It would turn on and only LAN1 and POWER lights illuminated. It would stay that way forever. If I ran a ping against the default IP I would get returns but no services appeared to be running. TFTP would not work.

Two hours later I figured out that it would randomly work if I tried TFTP and ping while it was turned on. That is to say it would boot once every hundred or so times and, once booted, I could access the interface. The first time this happened I thought it was good so I configured the wireless and LAN, saved, and rebooted. Back into a loop. Eventually I got back in and the only thing I did was flash to the firmware prior to the 2020-02-20 update and now everything is golden.

I simply wanted to report this issue so others do not fear they bricked their expensive routers. Try TFTP2 with any firmware and ping the router IP constantly and it will boot once in a while. It will NOT copy the firmware over.

Admins, is there a reason this can occur? I did an "erase nvram" followed by a 30-30-30 like normal prior to upgrading, so old settings should NOT be an issue.

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
the problem is already solved.
If only the 2 LAN LEDs light up, simply reset the router using the reset button (press for a few seconds until it reboots)
and then set fixed WLAN channels
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 21:00    Post subject: Re: Netgear XR500 boot issue with 2020-02-20 firmware... Reply with quote
Sephiroth wrote:
Admins, is there a reason this can occur? I did an "erase nvram" followed by a 30-30-30 like normal prior to upgrading, so old settings should NOT be an issue.

Neither of those were required. You shot yourself in the foot. 10 second reset button push is all that is required on modern devices. 30-30-30 is only required for Broadcom MIPS R1 devices (WRT54* series and similar). You risk bricking or other issues otherwise. Also, the only time a reset is required is 1) when coming from stock oem firmware or 2) when nvram has corrupted or other issues dictate. Resetting is not required when upgrading whatsoever.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
r42460 has some issues with upgrading, sometimes leaving you locked out of the router (no GUI, telnet/ssh connection refused). I think it's related to the recent changes to channel selection and the existing cve-14899 mitigation. The next build should have these fixed among other goodies.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
r42460 has some issues with upgrading, sometimes leaving you locked out of the router (no GUI, telnet/ssh connection refused). I think it's related to the recent changes to channel selection and the existing cve-14899 mitigation. The next build should have these fixed among other goodies.

I had no issues flashing any supported hardware platform. R7800, standard Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell, or Ralink/MediaTek, etc. ad nauseum. No bricks, no lock-outs, no loss of wi-fi, nada, zip, zilch.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool story bro, others didn't have your luck.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given the posts, it ain't hard to figure out why. And people wonder why I have a permanently bruised forehead. Read posts, slam my head on the desk. Like you've stated, the information is out there. And like I've stated, but people obviously can't read.

----------------------
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
blkt wrote:

I had no issues flashing any supported hardware platform. R7800, standard Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell, or Ralink/MediaTek, etc. ad nauseum. No bricks, no lock-outs, no loss of wi-fi, nada, zip, zilch.

yep as we don't know your set up, your brag of flashing/working washes away...in regards to others set up's...
yep, if you use your units with basic set up, they are working, but than again there are ppl, that require some more complex set ups, and yep they complain about it...that's the way it is, its called try and err(testing/report) for progress...

even if you spend some time reading/fiddling, there are no guaranties that all will work..as it should...so you report and wait.. Razz

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
This specific firmware version also temporarily bricked my r9000. I couldn’t even log in or see the GUI, had to do a tftp firmware reload.

I’ve updated to every single new brain slayer version since last October. Never did a nvram erase via telnet or even reset to factory default settings. However with this firmware released on 2/20/2020, it legitimately bricked my R9000 (temporarily, thank God). I reverted back to the one released on 2/17/2020 and it is running better than the norm. In any case, my personal recommendation is to skip the firmware released on 2/20/2020.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
blkt wrote:

yep as we don't know your set up, your brag of flashing/working washes away...in regards to others set up's...
yep, if you use your units with basic set up, they are working, but than again there are ppl, that require some more complex set ups, and yep they complain about it...that's the way it is, its called try and err(testing/report) for progress...

even if you spend some time reading/fiddling, there are no guaranties that all will work..as it should...so you report and wait.. Razz

I am not going to post every client's router configuration as it would wind up being a text attachment, because there are that many devices and several different configurations, from simple to complex.... also, it would take me a week to compile the information. Time is money. Not like people listen to a damn thing I say, let alone read and comprehend known information that is already documented, anyway. It's almost practically pointless.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
New build is out today. Smile

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/02-25-2020-r42514/netgear-xr500/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: