DD-WRT wifi6 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
pvanamst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 17:22    Post subject: DD-WRT wifi6 support Reply with quote
A number of vendors are releasing wifi6 compatible routers. Are any of these being planned to support by dd-wrt or are they available ? When I look on the router database lookup, any that I have checked do not show up.

Examples are the Netgear AX12 wifi6 802.11ax router.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the few ways something like this might happen is if someone donates a router.

With that said I'm happy with R7800 and EA8500.

Don't rely on the router database. The build threads within Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell hardware etc are much more helpful.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
While everything above 802.11ac isn't quite supported in the firmware, some models do support WPA3. That's as close as you're going to get until someone ponies up a hardware donation. I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Bensam123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in this same boat, I very much like DDWRT, but the hardware that's supported by it is pretty darn old at this point. Was trying to purchase a AX upgrade and it seems like there aren't any newer routers that are talked about or on the list. I bought the 86u two years ago now hoping it would eventually get support like the 68u, but never happened. I would definitely just buy whatever new hardware it supports at this point, doesn't need to be Asus.

The other alternative besides stock firmware which is a crapshoot (one of the reasons to use DDWRT in the first place) is DUMAOS, but that also seems to be going the way of DDWRT.

EA8500 and R7800 are five years old.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like everyone wants to request, but nobody wants to invest. If you want new device support, you have to either do the homework for the single developer of this project or you have to donate the hardware or donate money to the cause. Pretty simple. This project isn't independently wealthy and doesn't receive free hardware support from the vendors or manufacturers.

----------------------
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus RT-AX88U is supported by Asuswrt merlin the only AX router as i am aware off that has 3rd party firmware support.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
well... AD, AX, AH or what ever...all above N/G or AC is a pure marketing trick....
very obvious for acknowledged people/developers/manufactures......there is not much mainstream support yet...no development/support, especially with nothing special, but even worst than AC / N....

Honestly, for WiFi- N, is fair enough, it provides good speed/range value, while AD, AX are even worst...fast speed on a very short range...hmmm not much idea in it...but addressing only very few cases that will benefit from that tech...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen manufacturers slap "wifi 6" on hardware incapable of meeting specs.

It's a joke. AC is all you need until the next breakthrough (AD/AX are not).

Product cycle is completely different; this isn't a cell phone.

Bling stealth bomber spaceship router is lol.

If you really need the extra processing power consider x86 at that price.
Bensam123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the 'no one needs more then 640K of memory' meme. Thing is, newer routers also come with newer hardware, that includes memory, storage, new things such as link aggregation and 802.3bz for internet connections exceeding 1gbps. There is also the whole faster CPUs to empower much more robust levels of QoS to keep networks under control. And 802.3AX is actually a thing, regardless of gen0 devices failing to deliver.

But if your 10 year old TPlink works fine for you, good, but that's not what everyone is looking for.

I wasn't looking for a specific router, just a router that's newer and yup, running Merlin on my 86u. However Merlin isn't nearly as good as DDWRT when handling multiple connections and the QoS isn't as good. It also periodically needs a reboot as there is a memory leak somewehere and the router slows down over time (or was, just upgraded my version last week).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have a 1GB/s fiber uplink, spend the money on a commercial-grade router and be done with it. Or get an x86_64 mini PC and load DD, OpenWRT, pfSense, or OPNSense and be done with it. All of the higher-end uplinks I have anything to do with don't run this firmware nor do they use consumer-grade junk. The support isn't really there for AD or AX devices, so really, unless you're going to send BrainSlayer a hardware donation, figure it out. It's not that difficult, it ain't rocket science. Besides, there ain't no 1GB/s fiber uplink in Dresden to test the hardware, anyway.

----------------------
Bensam123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you're trying to make me feel bad for wanting what DDWRT advertises itself as and we're all after. Commercial level firmware on SOHO devices, sometimes even better.

It's not about just wanting 'a' feature, such as 5 or 10Gbit and the ability to use it, it's about getting it all at the same time for SOHO prices.

I've used the standalone OS's and they always seem to have more jitter and worse pings then just a normal router. Best implementation I've seen for that is Untangle, however they for some reason still haven't implemented MAC cloning despite it being a needed feature for some people for over a decade (it was requested in 09), myself included. There are also compatibility issues with a lot of those OS's or they require specific debugging knowledge to fix them, hence why people tend to look for something that 'just works', DDWRT is good at that.

I feel as though development has pretty much halted here and while we can reminisce about the glory days of the $20 TPLINK that functions like the $80 Linksys, it doesn't perform like a $200 router with DDWRT on it nowdays... even the older ones. You pay for hardware as well now, not just firmware... Only usually one or the other is good. It's very difficult to find both.

There is gigabit cable all over the US, even here it's provisioned higher then 1Gb, if you have a modem with link aggregation you can definitely reach speeds higher then that due to over provisioning and d3.1 being deployed in a lot of places.

I'm not going to stop 'wanting' something because the current resources are lacking and you tell me to. Figure it out.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Entitlement and ignorance are a dangerous combination.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bensam123 wrote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to make me feel bad for wanting what DDWRT advertises itself as and we're all after. Commercial level firmware on SOHO devices, sometimes even better.

It's not about just wanting 'a' feature, such as 5 or 10Gbit and the ability to use it, it's about getting it all at the same time for SOHO prices.

So, you'd rather spend $300 on a WRT than $60 on a capable wired ethernet router that works for gigabit internet. Okay. There are a few devices that will handle the local side as an AP just fine with this firmware, and you'd likely spend less overall for things that WORK.

blkt wrote:
Entitlement and ignorance are a dangerous combination.

I know you're not aiming that comment at me. Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just reciting what's written on my morning fortune cookie.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
support is in progress in drivers, in terms of hardware, none here yet. but as usual first appearance of new wifi tech is always overpriced, may even have hw defects (lol qca9880 rev A), and drivers need time to get decent (remember ath10k at launch of support, mediatek before they apparently started picking up?) etc.. also cause devices are totally everywhere supporting 802.11ax already.. not. i hope it will take off better than vht160 and god forbid, 802.11ad.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55416 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55416 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: