easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Re: easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i wont support tools written by a impostor (kong)
I was using my own tweaked version of ddup with kong builds which I shared here. Kong never added that tweak to ddup AFAIK. Only one line in easyddup (the one that writes the firmware) was taken/tweaked from ddup since it was proven/tested.

IONK wrote:
Can anyone please explain the details for those who are not aware of what happened (including me)?
The only time I ever interacted with kong was discussing about privoxy memory usage. I also attempted to PM him once to plead for a final build after I fixed cron but the PM stayed in the outbox for months until I deleted it.

The only time I ever interacted with BS is on tickets and his response to my year old OP above. BS can you explain a little more?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did someone request to have easyddup added to official firmware releases or something? Someone definitely poked the bear on this one.

Please leave the subject of <Kong> elsewhere. If BrainSlayer chooses to discuss it openly, that is one thing, but otherwise, leave it alone. Thank you.

P.S. If you do enough looking through tickets and the forum, you will find your answer about what happened.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did someone request to have easyddup added to official firmware releases or something? Someone definitely poked the bear on this one.

Please leave the subject of <Kong> elsewhere. If BrainSlayer chooses to discuss it openly, that is one thing, but otherwise, leave it alone. Thank you.

P.S. If you do enough looking through tickets and the forum, you will find your answer about what happened.
I don't think anyone requested BS to add easyddup to the official firmware, because it's already stated in the first post that the script was still at "beta" stage, and up till now there're too few feedback to further improve it.
I highly suspect that BS checked the "new build" thread, saw the link in my signature, clicked on it due to curiosity, and read the intro of easyddup.
So, any advice on easyddup? Scrap it or continue?

P.S. Recently I'm too busy & too lazy to dig the tickets and the forum, so I'll treat it as a mystery for now.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

For the record I did not request easyddup be included in official builds. If this or a better update tool with more features was included in official builds I'd surely use it.

BS is the one who brought up Kong. By the bugs that I've encountered since switching from Kong to BS builds (eg. 7342, 7354) it appears Kong had fixed some things that he didn't share with svn. Lousy move by Kong. Evil or Very Mad
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe something lost in translation, but mentioned 10 times on page 1 alone is enough for confusion.

Maybe clarify this code was written from scratch, aside from credited nvram utility and multipart curl?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, however the event of BrainSlayer commenting on this thread happened, let's leave it at that. Now, is there anyway we can add a CHANGELOG section to the OP and clean things up a little? I mean, since my magic eraser trigger finger is getting a little twitchy Twisted Evil Laughing

----------------------
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Maybe clarify this code was written from scratch, aside from credited nvram utility and multipart curl?
Good suggestion. Clarified this in the OP's 1st line below the warning and in the credits section. Even the one line I earlier claimed was copied from ddup is actually different when you compare them.

IONK wrote:
So, any advice on easyddup? Scrap it or continue?
If people keep giving good feedback as recently I'll maintain it. The invitation given earlier for a dd-wrt enthusiast to take over still stands. Once it's working for all routers, I don't foresee many changes required to keep it going.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Now, is there anyway we can add a CHANGELOG section
Good idea but more work for me which I'm trying to avoid.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
Got the basic idea and 50% of the easyddup name from Kong's ddup but no code.

Consider renaming easyddup to upgrayedd, claim 100% idiocracy (two D's are for a double-dose of pimpin').
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@blkt No offense but sometimes your sarcastic jokes sound retarded (which I know you're absolutely not), and when I try to play along then other people think I'm uncool. Also, sometimes your replies are too compressed that they become cryptic (or maybe they're intended that way?). Just my two cents as a non-native English speaker who is also oblivious to high society humor and references.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you haven't seen the movie, but the entire point of that joke is retarded.

Anyway, I was being serious why not just "upgrade" as the command suggests?

Or update, whatever name is available, get rid of ddup totally out of the picture.

I knew this thread would be a problem, so we need clarity and sense of humor.

A clear distinction from past references, now move forward, cryptic suggestion.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's just revel in the fact that this thread was not locked or deleted. I am all in favor of removing the <K-word> references and utility name similarity while moving forward. Who's in favor of 'easyupgrade' or 'easyupdate'? /nosarcasm #nosarcasm #cryptichumormustdie

----------------------
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated my signature while waiting for the new name.
Let me feign all this mess was not triggered because of it.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
o This utility has existed since late 2019
o It has since been largely dormant/ignored
o Recently a few users have provided excellent reports and improvements
o BS makes a cryptic response to the OP bringing up Lord Voldemort
o Speculation about the cause/purpose of the response lead to a clarification about source code in the OP.
o Speculation about the cause/purpose of the response lead to a @IONK signature change.
o Speculation about the cause/purpose of the response lead to a utility rename request.

I have no emotional attachment to the name easyddup. It means "Easy dd-wrt upgrade". I put all of 5 seconds coming up with the name totally oblivious to the Lord Voldemort political implications.

If the name bothers BS I'll gladly rename it but if the clarification in the OP is enough I prefer to avoid the effort.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm playing with the send email function, but I encountered curl error 67 login denied. Is there any pointer/tip/trick?

my settings:
MAILSERVER=smtps://smtp.gmail.com:465
MYMAILSERVER=mydomain.com
EMAILUSERLOCAL="mylocalmailuser@$MYMAILSERVER"
EMAILUSER="******@gmail.com"
EMAILCRED="******"
EMAILTO="******@gmail.com"

I've already enabled less secure apps for the sender account
I've tried login using the username and password on a web browser and the it is successful.

EDIT:
my password has special characters/symbols *$#@!

EDIT: I've changed the password and removed all symbols, and it now can send email successfully. Do you known the correct way to handle the symbols in the password?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The shell on dd-wrt is ash so "the backslash ''\'' acts as an escape character, causing the following character to be treated literally" e.g.

\$ becomes $

Try adding special characters one by one and preceding the problematic characters with a backslash. You might have to html encode some characters like spaces? Please let us know what works.

Make a copy of your checknewversion.sh file so it doesn't get lost in the next upgrade. I was thinking of renaming it to checknewversion.sh.sample in the tar file to avoid overwriting user changes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: