easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
People don't report after flashing and then we have people asking, "What's the latest build that works / is stable for my router?"... flash and report.
I also think that question is very subjective, because there are so many variations in the router modes/existing firmware version & settings/network setup/connected devices... and because BS is releasing new build every few days, so any answer given will become obsolete very fast. Probably there's answer if people provide usage scenario and ask for "baseline", but beyond that is self-exploration.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not doing so is a complete disservice to the forum and community at large and it is cumbersome dealing with the lack of reporting (because everyone was horning in on the device threads and creating a cesspool of (mis)information).
I guess one reason that people don't submit report after FW upgrade is that the info to fill in the report form is scattered everywhere:
- File: dir868a-webflash.bin <-- need to copy the downloaded FW file's name, or from the build folder online
- Kernel: Linux 4.4.261 #2248 SMP Fri Mar 12 09:59:49 +07 2021 armv7l <--- need to get from ddwrt control panel, status page, but must login first.
- Previous: DD-WRT v3.0-r45993 std (03/12/21) <-- need to copy *before* upgrading FW, otherwise it's gone
After gathering all info then one still needs to login to forum and finds the correct new build thread to post.

I remember you've shown me the link to the tomato FW auto-reported database (I can't find it now), but I know a lot of people will scream for privacy if BS includes that in ddwrt, and as everyone said, automated build thread reports are pointless without user feedback. But if yoyoma2 includes the report-generation feature in his easyddup, so that the basic info are already filled in, then there will be much less hassle to report (read: please give him mental nudge to implement that feature)

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Templates are fine, but autopost is blargg (only opinion, just as before). Johnny 5 needs input, not Skynet.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually I'm still a bit not clear why autopost is not welcomed, at least for my case, because I've been manually posting the reports for every build since May last year, and I realize that most of my reports are the same. I even have the template.txt saved on my desktop so that I can quickly change the info and post after FW upgrade. Can you please elaborate on the "user feedback over time and logs"? Is the way I report wrong all along?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:46    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote
Thanks OP, nice work.

Tutorial: How to monitor DNS traffic in real-time
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Populating or template autofill is cool, to free yourself from mundane entry such as router model/revision/version, build numbers, dates, file, kernel, modes and these are fine and objectively reasonable.

Once you enter reset/status/issues/errors/comments territory this requires human interaction and becomes a wide range of possibilities to reproduce.

As you mentioned earlier there are so many variations from hardware, network layout, clients, to user's needs and their own configuration habits.

Show us your findings with steps to reproduce, configuration, output, logs and important information below!

When a problem occurs this requires troubleshooting and analysis from a human perspective for example webUI misbehavior, or a specific case configuration issue only under certain conditions a setting is problematic which is otherwise totally fine.

Even if you managed to somehow automate everything, then congratulations DD-WRT users are now free from reporting focused useful information and developers left with robot spam.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Populating or template autofill is cool, to free yourself from mundane entry such as router model/revision/version, build numbers, dates, file, kernel, modes and these are fine and objectively reasonable.

Once you enter reset/status/issues/errors/comments territory this requires human interaction and becomes a wide range of possibilities to reproduce.

As you mentioned earlier there are so many variations from hardware, network layout, clients, to user's needs and their own configuration habits.

Show us your findings with steps to reproduce, configuration, output, logs and important information below!

When a problem occurs this requires troubleshooting and analysis from a human perspective for example webUI misbehavior, or a specific case configuration issue only under certain conditions a setting is problematic which is otherwise totally fine.

Even if you managed to somehow automate everything, then congratulations DD-WRT users are now free from reporting focused useful information and developers left with robot spam.
I totally agree with you that troubleshooting and analysis require human intervention. Can I get the green light from you to let the script auto sends the email with the following info: router model/revision/version, build numbers, dates, file, kernel, modes?
reset/status/issues/errors/comments will be left blank for user to fill in. If there's no error then there's not much to type anyway.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is not my call or decision, only my opinion. If users configure, adding their email, this is enough consent.
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tried easyddup on one of my routers. Got this error message: ./easyddup.sh: line 159: files: No builds found in folder asus-rt-ac68u-c1

Seems like it adds the board revision to the board name and doesn't pick up the file from the folder 'asus-rt-ac68u'

Like the effort and your script can make upgrading your firmware much smoother!

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
wabe wrote:
Just tried easyddup on one of my routers. Got this error message: ./easyddup.sh: line 159: files: No builds found in folder asus-rt-ac68u-c1

Seems like it adds the board revision to the board name and doesn't pick up the file from the folder 'asus-rt-ac68u'

Like the effort and your script can make upgrading your firmware much smoother!

This is definitely good feedback, thanks for this!

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can people with an AC-68U give their revision and the output of:

nvram get DD_BOARD

Thanks.
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own AC68Us with revision A1 and C1.
The A1s show "Asus RT-AC68U" for DD_BOARD while
C1s show "Asus RT-AC68U C1"

I know there are rev B1s and possibly higher revisions too.

The firmwares work without issues on both my revisions.

Good thing I tested on the C1 first and caught this small issue.

I could easily strip the string myself but better to try to keep your script general so it works globally.

Good initiative!

yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
New version posted in OP (March 16th).

Changes:

Added option -R to strip a revision suffix on routers for which dd-wrt does not have a revision specific build.

easyddup -R c1

Creating an update alias that includes the option as @IONK explained earlier could be a good idea on routers that need it.
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
New version posted in OP (March 16th).

Changes:

Added option -R to strip a revision suffix on routers for which dd-wrt does not have a revision specific build.

easyddup -R c1

Works as described!

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13    Post subject: Re: easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
WARNING: This is an beta version (updating firmware by any method has some risks).

Former Kong users know ddup. Here is easyddup for BrainSlayer builds.

Features:

o Menu driven firmware download
o Secure https firmware download
o Automatic hardware identification (usually: see -r option)
o Caching of previous downloads
o Option to erase nvram or not
o Preserve basic settings (LAN and username/password)
o Possibity to save & automatically restore user settings
o Possibity to get email notifications of new builds
o Supports FAT and ext USB storage
o In place installation even if subnet not 192.168.1.x
o Store some basic settings in an ini file
o Multi-part setting for faster curl downloads

HELP NEEDED: The file nvram-dd-wrt.ini lists the user settings variables that are stored in the restore point. When you find settings that you regularly enter manually that are missing let me know and I'll add them or better yet make the changes and I'll integrate them. There will be a lot missing at first...

Credits:

Uses a modified version of this no longer maintained project. That project seemed to be quite a time saver as discussed here. The included QuickStart.txt file is from that project.

Used multipart curl download script from here and the progress reporting from here.

Help:

easyddup -h

Easy ddd-wrt update Utility
easyddup.sh Version 0.9
Options: -h this help msg
-c Return count of available versions (does nothing)
-d Downgrade (default is to upgrade)
-f Force download even if build is cached
-m maxcount Search at most maxcount versions ahead/behind current
-n No firmware will be written but everything else is done
-p cache Path to local build cache (default ./fwcache)
-q Quiet (use with -c to check for updates silently)
-r rev Specify revision folder suffix (BRICK DANGER!!!)
-R rev Opposite of -r, revision suffix to strip
-w wipe individual cache items or -W to wipe all
-y xxxx Use year xxxx (default is current year)

Install:

mkdir -p /path/to/where/easyddup/subdirectory/is/wanted
cd /path/to/where/easyddup/subdirectory/is/wanted
cp /my/downloads/easyddup.tgz .
tar zxvf easyddup.tgz

The easyddup subdirectory is created and contains the required files.

Run:

You should already have a BrainSlayer build installed. (can sort of work from Kong).
You need USB storage but so beginners might want to read this guide.

To upgrade:

easyddup.sh

To downgrade:

easyddup.sh -d

To restore user settings:
After initial reboot, enable USB support and run nvram-restore-latest.sh or the restore script with the date/time of your choice. Reboot and your settings are back.

Tips:
o You can answer q to any prompt to quit
o Read the warning about passwords in QuickStart.txt

i wont support tools written by a impostor (kong)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:54    Post subject: Re: easyddup a simple upgrade/downgrade utility Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i wont support tools written by a impostor (kong)
Can anyone please explain the details for those who are not aware of what happened (including me)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: