howto use multiple routers?

navtis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 22:26    Post subject: howto use multiple routers? Reply with quote
I have a very limited understanding of networking and an overcomplex setup! But I'm hoping to learn.

I have two routers: connecting to my modem is a Firebrick. One of the subnets on the Firebrick has an ethernet connection to a number of hosts and a printer.
This subnet is allocated addresses 192.164.0.2-127.

The Firebrick doesn't do wifi. I have an R7000 running dd-wrt attached to another subnet of the Firebrick. The Firebrick is allocating that router the WAN address 192.168.0.128.

I want some limited access from the wireless subnet to the wired subnet. In particular, I want wireless hosts to be able to print to the printer, and I want to be able to ssh between hosts on the two subnets.

I can't work out how to do this. I tried setting dd-wrt to provide clients with addresses 192.164.0.129-355, so that hosts on the two subnets would not have colliding address but could have a 255.255.255.0 netmask. If I do that, hosts on the wireless subnet can neither access hosts on the wired subnet, nor do DNS lookups or access the net. If instead I set dd-wrt to provide addresses 192.168.1.* then hosts on the wireless net can do DNS lookups and access the net. But they still can't access the wired subnet, even if I set all netmasks to 255.255.254.0.

Should there be a way to get communication between these subnets or am I trying for the impossible?

Thanks for any advice

Graham
PS if its relevant there aren't any windows hosts in this setup, it's all varieties of linux
Sponsor
newsboost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried looking here https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point ?
navtis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks newsboost.

I had trouble matching the variable names on that page with the ones I had. I did find a variable that seemed to say setting it would pass DHCP straight through from the main router, so I set that - after which I can no longer connect to the R7000 at all. All the instructions for reset have variations on 'hold the off button down for a certain number of seconds'. Having done that, I still can't access it. It doesn't respond to pings from the parent router any more, either. So I'm kind of stuck at the moment- wasn't expecting to effectively brick it by changing one setting value.

Graham
newsboost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it's bricked, although I'm not really that much an expert - see here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot for factory reset...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: