VLAN Detached Networks on R9000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to know that you found the guide useful.

Looking closely at your diagram, i realised i made a translation error in my guide which is then reflected in your diagram. You're very polite in telling me that. I think. Embarassed

The error does not affect the CLI in the guide. But, to correct the error, the links between the two switches should be as follow:

- Switch0-Port4 should be connected to Switch1-Port5, and
- Switch0-Port6 to Switch1-Port0

My knowledge is based on the attached diagram. However, it does not show SFP+ port. But yours does.

Thanks for your contribution. I have amended the guide accordingly.

(I included herewith the diagram on which i wrote the guide, FYI).

Cheers
DWCruiser

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noticed the SFP+ port is not part of any of default VLAN 1 or 2. Does it have its own network? has nay tried to plug in the SFP+ port and what happens?

My understanding is it should be part of VLAN1 or the LAN network.

How can we make it part of the custom VLAN using your guide? eg. VLAN 8, 10, 12 or 14 in your setup?

thanks
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
tigs wrote:
Noticed the SFP+ port is not part of any of default VLAN 1 or 2. Does it have its own network? has nay tried to plug in the SFP+ port and what happens?

My understanding is it should be part of VLAN1 or the LAN network.

How can we make it part of the custom VLAN using your guide? eg. VLAN 8, 10, 12 or 14 in your setup?

thanks

"However, the SFP+ port can be easily segregated into its own VLAN since it's the only port associated with the eth0 interface. Read below for how to unbridge eth0, which is bridged to br0 by default . "

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R9000#Detaching_the_SFP.2B_port

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
My guess of the SFP+ port not being part of VLAN1 or 2 is because its own interface (i.e. eth0) can be set up either a WAN or LAN connection. I am not an engineer behind its design so i can't give a definite answer.

But, in terms of using SFP+ as a LAN port,

A. In its own subnet

1. Follow Alozaros' linked document. In brief, SFP+ port can be set up in its own subnet (similar to how vAP is set up).

2. Enter relevant details for DHCP at bottom of same page.

3. Manually assign it to bridge br0.

Save Settings at each step. And avoid conflict, also do a reboot afterwards after each step (via s/ware - Administration/Management/ Reboot Router)

---------------------------------------

B. If as part of existing VLAN.

1. Leave 'Bridge Assignment' option at Default, then assign SFP+ interface it to the desired bridge.

2. Manually assign it to the corresponding bridge. Note: the bridge's IP subnet will also apply to SFP+.

Save Settings. Again, do a reboot the router via s/ware at end of each step.

The above suggestion may not work right away as i do not have the right gear to test SFP+ port at present. But i feel confident to say that a tweak here and there will make it work in the end, if you're patient enough. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have module to test the SFP+ port either. I guess this should work.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am confused.

Without the right connector, the SFP+ port cannot be utilised.

That being the case, what the point of you asking how to set it up in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
DWCruiser wrote:
I am confused.

Without the right connector, the SFP+ port cannot be utilised.

That being the case, what the point of you asking how to set it up in the first place?

yep true so true...you'd need a compatible one as not all of them work with DDWRT...for more info on SFP compatibility, check the thread ...if im not wrong there was a discussion...about those... Cool

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
tigs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying to put the cart in front of the horse.
I have a Netgear NAS that has 10g ports. Wonder how to utilize that. My switch is just a 1g switch. Nor sure it makes sense just plug the NAS to 10G port of R9000, with the rest of clients on the 1G network will change anything.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
In theory, a single 8K video stream requires some 50 megabits per second. Allowing generously for overheads (i.e. the NAS CPU has to transcode each stream), 1 gigabits per second connection still allows, say, half, or 10 concurrent streams, if the NAS is capable.

Or 20 concurrent streams of 4K.

A 10gbps allows ten times as much!

That's a lot of streams, unless it's a commercial arrangement like... Netflix. I doubt if Netflix staff would come here for technical advice. Smile

Having said that, i can't see any issue with utilizing the 10gbps connection b/w your NAS and R9000. Keep in mind that 'the traffic is as fast as at the slowest link' applies to both ends of a stream.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys. I downloaded the 5 page PDF document in order to setup just one port for VLAN. The PDF document instructs us to create several VLANS on all the ports. Is it possible to just assign 1 single port for VLAN and simplify things a bit? I'm a bit of a nerd and not afraid of CLI, but the document seems to be a bit complex and with my current setup, If I assign a VLAN to each port, my network will go down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I should also add that I have "Unbridged" the SFP+ Port following this guide: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R9000#Detaching_the_SFP.2B_port . I don't know if that changes anything on that document, but I thought I'd add that to the post in case it alters the instructions in any way.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can share my script(10x to DWCruiser) for 2 Vlan's so, you can take out one of them or use the script for two Razz (called vlan 3 and vlan Cool
And yes R9000 switch is complex...don't forget to make br to assign the vlan and dhcp to the br to be able to get an IP address

Code:

swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "3 5t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 3 set ports "0t 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 8 set ports "0t 1 2 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply
swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 1 set ports "0t 2 3 4 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 3 set ports "0t 1 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 8 set ports "0t 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 set apply
vconfig add eth1 3
vconfig add eth1 8
ifconfig vlan3 up
ifconfig vlan8 up
brctl addif br3 vlan3
brctl addif br8 vlan8

I m still using it as it is.. Laughing
last 2 LAN ports, opposite to the WAN port

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Icona
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
I can share my script(10x to DWCruiser) for 2 Vlan's so, you can take out one of them or use the script for two Razz (called vlan 3 and vlan Cool
And yes R9000 switch is complex...don't forget to make br to assign the vlan and dhcp to the br to be able to get an IP address

Code:

swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "3 5t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 3 set ports "0t 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 8 set ports "0t 1 2 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply
swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 1 set ports "0t 2 3 4 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 3 set ports "0t 1 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 8 set ports "0t 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 set apply
vconfig add eth1 3
vconfig add eth1 8
ifconfig vlan3 up
ifconfig vlan8 up
brctl addif br3 vlan3
brctl addif br8 vlan8

I m still using it as it is.. Laughing
last 2 LAN ports, opposite to the WAN port

Thank you so much, this simplifies things 1,000X!!! Smile The code there mentions 4 VLANS though? Do you know what part of the code I'd have to remove in order to just make the last port (#6) VLAN and leave the other 5 as is? The other five ports are in use and not easy to move those devices. I don't think it's as simple as deleting some of the code as it looks like it assigns specific ports to specific VLANS. Also, when I finally get that working, I'm going to be using that port to go into a Netgear S8000 Semi-managed switch in order to isolate several devices, but here's my confusion: Currently that S8000 switch has a static IP assigned on my regular network in order to facilitate management and accessing the UI. Once I set that VLAN up and connect that switch, won't that cause a conflict because it'll automatically get a new IP in a different range? I'm assuming that I'll first have to remove that static IP designation from the router correct?
Last question Razz : I'm trying to isolate a mining farm, which ia hardwired so no biggie there, a Eufy Homebase that's also hardwired so no issue there, but how about a nest thermostat that's wifi and the Eufy doorbell and cameras that are also wifi? All of these can be on the same VLAN with no issues, but how do I get the Wifi devices on the same VLAN? Again, thank you so much, that code was a great help as most of the jargon on that document was like another language to me. Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: