Better speeds with stock firmware on Netgear R8000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dcohetti407
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 17:52    Post subject: Better speeds with stock firmware on Netgear R8000 Reply with quote
I just recently purchased a new Netgear R8000 router and loaded the latest version of DD-WRT (v3.0-r41811). I am noticing that the stock firmware that came with the Netgear has much better performance vs. when running ddwrt.

With the Netgear stock firmware I am able to achieve speeds of 300Mbps (via speedtest.net) on the 5Ghz band. However, with ddwrt I am only getting about 25Mbps (again via speedtest.net).

Anybody run into this before with this router, and is there a setting I'm missing that could be the cause?

Here are my current settings:
- Shortcut Forwarding Engine: Enabled
- STP: Enabled
- QoS: Disable

Radio 1 Settings:

Radio 2 Settings:

Radio 3 Settings:

Radio3Settings.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.74 KB
 Viewed:  16075 Time(s)

Radio3Settings.JPG

Radio2Settings.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.07 KB

Radio2Settings.JPG

Radio1Settings.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.3 KB

Radio1Settings.JPG

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Every other post of yours besides this one, please delete.

Google basic wireless settings dd-wrt wiki

Google advanced wireless settings dd-wrt wiki

Google R8000 dd-wrt wiki

I'm not carrying any spoons today and you spammed the forum.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Took care of the duplicate posts.

You aren’t going to get what you got on stock with the 5ghz set to auto and 20Mhz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
This post is of a lot of interest to me.
I cannot see your images as it looks like they are removed but you will need to make the settings different (from what another poster states).

I also have an R8000 and have a 350/35 Mbps connection with Virgin Media. I am able to get past this speed easily with the right settings. I get a average of 370/37 Mbps in speed (and real world) tests.
But this is where I am most interested in your post. I am on an old firmware (Kongs). If I switch to the latest firmware I am unable to make the necessary changes to the settings.

Can you try to make the following settings on Wireless Physical Interface wl0 [5 GHz/802.11ac] (this should be the first one in the list).
Please make the changes in this order and *Save* (not apply) after each change:

Wireless Network Mode: AC-Only (or you could try AC/N-Mixed).
Save.

Channel Width: VHT80 (80MHz).
Save.

Extension Channel: lower upper (or choose one of the other 3).
Save.

Wireless Channel: 120 - 5.600 GHz) (or whatever is available, dependent on your choice above).
Save.

The last change is where I have the big problem. I am unable to select any wireless channel (the list is empty). It defaults to 'Auto' and cannot be changed.

Can you please try and let me know how you get on.
If you are able to select a Wireless Channel you will easily get your maximum speed.
But if you also cannot choose a Wireless Channel and get stuck at Auto then there is a bug in the system.

For me Auto limits me to an average of 100 Mbps, so for now I am sticking to the old firmware.

Many thanks.

ISP: Virgin Media 350/35 Mbps

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lower upper 120 is not a valid selection

First set channel width (80 Mhz) and Save
Then set Lower Upper and Save
Then select channel, I use 104, Save and Apply

But I do not have an R8000 I have an R6400v2 Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Lower upper 120 is not a valid selection

First set channel width (80 Mhz) and Save
Then set Lower Upper and Save
Then select channel, I use 104, Save and Apply

But I do not have an R8000 I have an R6400v2 Smile

Its a valid selection on the kong firmware as I am using it now and it gives me the best speeds I have ever had on this router.

Thanks, yes I saw you mention the save thing between each setting on a thread I started about the issue. I have tried this and just about every variation on the possible order of doing so, using several different Regulatory Domains too. Trying both AC-Only and AC/N-Mixed.
Spent a couple of hours trying every possible variation on the settings (with and without a save between each one).

On all other channel widths I get the wireless channel options. But on the 5GHz I am stuck at Auto.

wifi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.52 KB
 Viewed:  15931 Time(s)

wifi.jpg

Betch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but given this thread was one of the top hits when I was scrabbling to configure my network. I thought I'd share my experience with SKY / VIGOR130 / NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK R8000.

1. You need to come to terms with the fact that the R-series (no modem) do not support DHCP Option 61 - DD-WRT or equivalent is required.

2. The stock Netgear firmware is great, but DD-WRT is the answer.

3. Not all versions of DD-WRT will work, you need to have patience.

When you flash, make sure you 30/30/30 reset, the first thing you need to do after setting the admin login is check the:

Wireless Regulatory Domain - needs to be set up for your country or none of your devices will connect as they should.

Once the Reg Domain is checked, download an appropriate WIFI Scanner and set the the 2G/5G1/5G2 settings. If the wifi scanner gives you confirmation that the radios are working as expected, continue. If not abort, 30/30/30 reset and try another flash.

The best, I have found is: DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M kongac (06/08/19) - willing to take advice on other stable builds.

Add your login credentials to Admin/Commands and save to startup.

Once you are happy that you can achieve, a 5ghz radio in the 30-40 range and a 5ghz radio in the 100+ range conduct another 30/30/30 reset.

Your WIFI Scanner should show all radios 2g/5g1/5g2 all within a couple of dBs of each other. Now continue with setup:

My 5ghz0 channel is as follows VHT80 / Lower-Lower / 116 / Explicit - Y / Implicit Y.

My 5ghz2 channel is as follows Wide HT40 (allows for an old firestick) / Wide HT40 / Upper / Explicit - Y / Implicit Y.

Make sure both 5ghz radios are set to AC only (if you have clients that don't support ac you should follow these steps:

**Warning for non ac clients..

Unplug AC client.
Place in appropriate recycling bin.
Allow your outdated kit to be recycled.

I use my 2ghz network for printers and my wife's friends - yr 5g radios should nail it, there is no need to touch advanced Wireless settings.
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice but I don't think I will be doing any 30-30-30 resets, let alone all the ones you suggest.

Betch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
How are your radios working with 41813?
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look at my speed test result Smile
That is on a 350/35 Mbps line.

That is about my best one but other tests from various sources are close to it.

Large file LAN transfers to my NAS are about 70MBps on average.

Betch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was running the same firmware, but my WL0 would not seat on a proper channel.

It led me to disable the prime 5GHz channel.

Any reason you’ve not updated to one of the 2020 builds?
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The latest brainslayer builds don't work correctly on my R8000 (and have similar problems on another router/s apparently), with regards to wifi:

There are no Wireless Channels available, except for auto. When using auto on all extension channels my speed maxes out at <100Mbps (LAN and WAN).

The last kong build works really well for me and I wont change it until a newer bs one works equally as good.

I did try stock for a while but kept getting wifi disconnect issues and thought it was down to the load I was putting on the router. I have now found out this was actually due to an app ( a mouse cursor app of all things, go figure) that was running on my Fire-stick 4K and then got a similar issue on kongs build too.
Removed the app and kong is stable again now.

So now I have isolated the problem I *may* try stock again (I was very impressed with the VPN server on it).

knowmansoul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
flakie wrote:
The latest brainslayer builds don't work correctly on my R8000 (and have similar problems on another router/s apparently), with regards to wifi:

There are no Wireless Channels available, except for auto. When using auto on all extension channels my speed maxes out at <100Mbps (LAN and WAN).

The last kong build works really well for me and I wont change it until a newer bs one works equally as good...

Thanks for your experience. It's been a few years since last running dd-wrt firmware. Over the holidays I installed shibby's Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -3.5-140 K26ARM USB AIO-64K on my R8000, because I wanted to run my network via a VPN set up on my router.

Does the firmware you're running allow netshare of USB drives? Back when I used dd-wrt on an old netgear router, the firmware was pretty specialized to intended purposes and USB wasn't common. My current shibby tomato is AIO, so, it has everything I want. I like dd-wrt layout and I have experience with the interface, so, thinking about giving it a try. Thanks again.
Betch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Over the last few days I've flip-flopped between Netgear and DD-WRT, I really wanted to like the stock FW but it's really poor.

In terms of DD-WRT I've been on KONG - FLAKIE got me to upgrade to 40270 but since I've retired my R8000 to an AP I've been getting really slow Download speeds.

Just upgraded to: Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r42015 std (01/18/20)

And all is good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: