Isolating LAN port on Archer C7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mrumble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 20:17    Post subject: Isolating LAN port on Archer C7 Reply with quote
I have been hitting my head against a wall for the past few hours and hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have an Archer C7 V2 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 ver 1 rev 1.0 (0x1130) Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 (11/21/19)

I also have a D-Link DIR-605L with stock firmware. All of my IoT devices are now connected to the DIR-605L. That router, in turn, is attached to the Archer C7 by Ethernet cable.

I want to isolate the DIR-605L from anything connected to my Archer C7. I have 1 other wired device (VoIP ATA) and the rest connects wirelessly. I thought I had it all figured out when I discovered vLANs, but after a few hours of trial and error I seem to have discovered that's not supported on Atheros. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 22:48    Post subject: VLAN tagging Reply with quote
VLAN tagging is supported on Atheros but the entire 4-port switch is a single port. You would only be able to separate it from Wireless clients.

What about via the firewall?

I am not versed in advanced firewall configurations, but some on this forum are.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 23:05    Post subject: Re: VLAN tagging Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
but the entire 4-port switch is a single port.

Wait a minute...how could that be possible? The switch needs to be able to tell traffic where to go...

I know TP link stuff is cheap and shady...but they can't violate that much when it comes to sending packets to the right place...

I'm no guru, but I think VLAN's are possible, you just have to know what you are doing.

You will need to see how the physical ports are allocated in the swconfig. Here is a link to the jpg with the commands you need to run in putty to learn more about the C7 architecture: http://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/EA8500/r7800-EA8500_switch-ports.png

Then more reading here:
http://mrjcd.com/EA8500_DD-WRT/vlans/

and here:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119771#1119771

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLANs are not true security though, no one has to honor that flag. But it would keep traffic separate, which is maybe what you want to do.

If you truely want security, get another router and connect in a "Y" configuration, then you are totally isolated, then you have a whole separate LAN for your protected devices.

But to work with the constraints that you have given, VLANs if supported are the way to go.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01    Post subject: VLAN vs VLAN tagging Reply with quote
VLANs: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports
This is located on the router, mostly or via the CLI: Setup->Switch Config

VLAN taggin, can't seem to find the wiki at the moment. I do know it is the info on this page on the router though: Setup->Networking->VLAN Tagging

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
mrumble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
VLANs are not true security though, no one has to honor that flag. But it would keep traffic separate, which is maybe what you want to do.

If you truely want security, get another router and connect in a "Y" configuration, then you are totally isolated, then you have a whole separate LAN for your protected devices.

But to work with the constraints that you have given, VLANs if supported are the way to go.

This was my answer! Thank you. I had 2 routers, I just had the order backwards. Your post gave me the right words to research and I'm all set up now. Simple and effective. Thanks!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
VLANs are not true security though, no one has to honor that flag.....

I use VLAN Detached Networks ... no VLAN tagged net Twisted Evil
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLAN keeps the traffic separated at layer 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: