When to move to BS from Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pastorbrendad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50    Post subject: When to move to BS from Kong Reply with quote
So I have an EA6500v2 and 3 EA6700s running the last kongac (RIP) 40270M.

I'm trying to figure out when I'll need to migrate to BS builds. Is there anything security-wise that's come up and been fixed since Kong released these in July? Otherwise I'll probably keep trucking along for now because they're so stable. If so, can anyone recommend a latest + most stable BS build?

Anyways, if I don't need to upgrade any time soon, what should I be looking out for as to when I WILL need to? Any advice?
Sponsor
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I migrated my gateway router and AP/Client bridge routers (all three are Netgear R7000 units) to BS from the last Kong build a month or so ago, and minus the key issue in the latest builds (seems fixed in the latest build 41664 though), I've had no issues with any stability or anything else for that matter. As for new stuff, if you use QoS, the new CAKE QoS stuff is pretty snazzy.

I was hesitant about switching them from the last Kong build to BS for a long while as well, as that's what I had used for a very long time (pretty much since having them), but am 100% happy with the new BS builds now that I've updated stuff (once again, today's build 41664 seems to have no issues with the keys/reconnect stuff)...

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
Pastorbrendad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice! I might check it out then!
booz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58    Post subject: Netgear EX6200 with BS firmware? Reply with quote
Have two EX6200s that have been on Kong's build from February 2019. They are reasonably stable although I have scheduled reboots once a week as the wifi speed tends to drop after time. Using VLANs and VAPS. Now I have had seen glitches where connectivity has died and only a power cycle will fix. Seems these are triggered by devices connected via ethernet that were power cycled.

Keen to hear anyone's experience with the latest BS builds on this hardware. I imagine will have to re-enter the settings manually?

Cheers
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If nobody's reported anything in the build threads on your hardware, guess what? Happy flashing and finding out. Unless someone can chime in here, of course. Then I may scold them for not reporting in the build threads like good community members Rolling Eyes Cool
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
sideup66
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've wondered this myself. I have an r6300v2 on long from July. The biggest external things I've got running on it from a wan perspective is openvpn server and drop bear. Around September I did see a patch to it from BS, but no new build for openvpn since the July build....dropbear and Ash did get an update but they looked like super minor bugfixes that I didn't seem affected by. I'm using a simple rule of thumb with vulns that after about 6mos to a year, I consider the build suspect for wan use and may update. When you folks flashed over, did you do a nvram reset/erase with the flash or did you flash dirty straight to BS? Ive been using Kong without nvram resets for probably over a year now, with no major issues, hence the ask.
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
sideup66 wrote:
I've wondered this myself. I have an r6300v2 on long from July. The biggest external things I've got running on it from a wan perspective is openvpn server and drop bear. Around September I did see a patch to it from BS, but no new build for openvpn since the July build....dropbear and Ash did get an update but they looked like super minor bugfixes that I didn't seem affected by. I'm using a simple rule of thumb with vulns that after about 6mos to a year, I consider the build suspect for wan use and may update. When you folks flashed over, did you do a nvram reset/erase with the flash or did you flash dirty straight to BS? Ive been using Kong without nvram resets for probably over a year now, with no major issues, hence the ask.

I reset the nvram to defaults on all three of my R7000 units when I moved from the Kong builds over to BS builds. Afaik, they have slightly different setups of nvram, and not doing so would likely cause issues (once again, afaik. Not certain, but moving from one to the other, it would be a good idea to refresh the nvram just to 'be safe').

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7800 - 1x build 46979
- Gateway (USB /w Entware, CAKE QoS)
Netgear R7000 - 3x build 46979
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: