Need help: Client Bridge -> Lan internet disconnect frequ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41    Post subject: Need help: Client Bridge -> Lan internet disconnect frequ Reply with quote
I hope there is someone who understands networking out there that can help me with this one. I've googled for solutions with no luck.

My Problem: Internet disconnects over lan after a few seconds.
Notes:
** When i restart my pc, internet works for maybe 15 seconds then it doesn't respond.

**i go into internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> and change the ip, subnet, and gateway and validate upon exit, the troubleshooting says; DHCP is not enabled for "Local Area Connection" Fixed. The internet then works fine for about 15-30 seconds then stops working.
** i have had this same setup working flawlessly in the past, since then i have upgraded from win 7 to 10 and have a new main router.
** wifi adapter on my pc is disabled to avoid any conflicts
** Intel (R) 82578V Gigabit network connection (driver updateD)

My Specs/ Setup:
Win 10
Netgear wndr 4300 with DD-WRT Installed

This is a link to what i am doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1mr-TXUPo

If there is any more info i can provide please let me know.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:27    Post subject: Re: Need help: Client Bridge -> Lan internet disconnect f Reply with quote
bleegion wrote:
.... disconnects over lan after a few seconds.
Notes:
**... 15 seconds then it doesn't respond.
**... ip, subnet, and gateway and validate upon exit, the troubleshooting says; DHCP is not enabled for "Local Area Connection"...
** ...and have a new main router.

Your dd-wrt router should be 'client bridged (routed)' and a current build such as 27506.
DHCP disabled
Wireless mode should be same as main router ..NG-mixed, N-only, G-only
Wireless security should be same and both should be using WPA2 AES

Your PC should be auto DHCP and getting IP from main router.

see >> http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Qualcomm_Atheros
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so i had a really outdated firmware on DD-WRT, i updated to the newest build properly.

I followed the instructions exactly as laid out in the Repeater bridge subsection qualcomm atheros and did nothing else. no luck getting it to work.

Any ideas?

All i want is to have my pc wired through ethernet cable to my second router.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the bridged router show in the dd-wrt status section?

Does your PC get DHCP if connected directly to the main router?

Reboot the PC -

Are you bridging with the 5GHz?
I have had issuse with the 5GHz dropping connection in bridge mode on the wndr3700v4 -- (it's about the same as the wndr4300v1)
-- try the 2.4 radio
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Reboot the PC -

I have had issuse with the 5GHz dropping connection in bridge mode on the wndr3700v4 -- (it's about the same as the wndr4300v1)
-- try the 2.4 radio

My netgear 4300 does show in the status yes.

I havent tried connecting it to the main router yet. ill unhook it right now and move it in the house to test.

I added both the 2.4HGZ and the 5GHz under wireless basic settings. Is only one of these supposed to be activated?
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
bleegion wrote:
mrjcd wrote:

Reboot the PC -

-- try the 2.4 radio

My netgear 4300 does show in the status yes.

I havent tried connecting it to the main router yet. ill unhook it right now and move it in the house to test.

I added both the 2.4HGZ and the 5GHz under wireless basic settings. Is only one of these supposed to be activated?

EDIT: I have my pc hooked up to the main router. DHCP is working fine internet is fine.

Okay so i have my main gateway router which gives regular internet access through wifi/lan then i have another router which is the netgear wdnr4300 which i am trying to bridge wirelessly to my verizon router. The goal is to have my PC connected via ethernet to my second router (netgear)

I am pretty sure i have my second router configured properly. I updated to the lastest dd-wrt firmware,, and read tons of guides, watched videos, and followed instructions properly.

The weird thing is that when i boot my pc the internet works from anywhere from 15-30 seconds before it "goes out". When the internet goes out it shows that the lan is still connected. I get no red sign over the lan connection or and yellow warning sign.

Messing with my PC's static ip then hitting diagnose, which reenables dhcp and erases the static ip, also gets the internet to work for a few seconds. then it goes out.

i currently have my pc hooked up to my Main router and it gets dhcp fine.

what the heck is going on here
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't have to disable the 5 Ghz just give it a different SSID.
You should bridge with only one radio. I think both have been tried in the past with no good results.

Use the 2.4 radio and double check your settings are all correct give it a reboot and you should be good.
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
You don't have to disable the 5 Ghz just give it a different SSID.
You should bridge with only one radio. I think both have been tried in the past with no good results.

Use the 2.4 radio and double check your settings are all correct give it a reboot and you should be good.

Just to be clear. DD-WRT is at its default settings, so i only follow the directions on the Repeater Bridge wiki on the subsection Qualcomm Atheros?

The method i was doing was the client bridge which had me change stuff like gateway to router mode, and ip settings, disabling fire wall and stuff. Do i not mess with this at all when following the repeater instructions?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea use the link I provided.
Use client bridge (routed) that will keep you on same subnet as main router.....
Be sure you give the ddwrt router a LAN IP that is not being used by any device on your network.

Edit: in wireless basic settings.... dhcp use manual mode and put in IP of your main router... I forgot about that but just remembered mine didn't work last bridge I made until I did that... some new something that I have no idea why is really needed.

See... http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=980113#980113

Good luck
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay so i am getting the same results. It doesn't matter if i set up a Client bridge, client mode, or repeater bridge.

The bridges set up "successfully" but the internet lasts a few seconds. Across all setups, messing with the adapter settings so that it renews the Dhcp makes the internet work for a few seconds and then stop working.

Any fresh ideas of what is going on here guys?
cmsigler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
bleegion wrote:
The bridges set up "successfully" but the internet lasts a few seconds.

I had a weird problem recently that was caused by my main router (Cisco/Linksys, a few years old) running stock firmware. Can connect an Atheros router (same manufacturer, very similar model) to it using Client Bridged mode. Wireless connection is rock solid. However, WAN access is always sporadic and intermittent. It doesn't work most of the time. Can't even ping the main router's external IP address 95% of the time. It'll work for 10 or 15 seconds. Then it'll stop for several minutes, dead as a doornail. Then work again for some seconds.

I subbed in another old router running dd-wrt and connected to that one with all other settings identical. Everything worked fine.

I suspect my main router's stock firmware is flaky/buggy, and maybe ARP is the problem??? But I haven't gotten my hands dirty trying to diagnose.

HTH.

Clemmitt
bleegion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
cmsigler wrote:
bleegion wrote:
The bridges set up "successfully" but the internet lasts a few seconds.

It'll work for 10 or 15 seconds. Then it'll stop for several minutes, dead as a doornail. Then work again for some seconds.

Sounds similar, except once my internet disconnects it never reconnects unless i reboot or manually enter an ip then his diagnose so it fixes the DHCP is no enabled for "Local area connection" with windows diagnostics. But that "fix" only last for a few seconds
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
'bleegion', I know this doesn't help you --- but--
I've been playing with Client Bridge on the WRT160NL (27506) bridged to the broadcom WNDR3700v3 (27745)
and I can see why the atheros bridge might make a factory FW router go crazy .. but I am far from understanding it.

The 160NL wireless MAC is 00:23:69:FE:BF:2E ---pic below is from main router (WNDR3700v3)
The 160NL IP 192.168.15.60 (not shown) shows up sometimes when one or the other goes away -- they alternate every so often it seems

The 160NL bridged router's MAC is showing a generic IP + the 1.1.1.1 (and that comes and goes)
That MAC also carries the IP of my comper that is wired to it -- that's understandable -- but it's true MAC is
still picked up in amongst things because it has a static lease and it has always come back true thru all my changes.
Can get DHCP but cannot pass traffic if Default GW Mode is Auto(DHCP) - build 27506
Works fine if Manual gateway is set.
Been using this for couple hours without any wireless drops or delays -- it's been very steady... still using it.
Code:
<6>[   10.190000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
<6>[   10.190000] br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
<6>[   10.200000] br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
<6>[   11.250000] ath0: authenticate with 2c:b0:5d:42:bb:8b
<6>[   11.280000] ath0: send auth to 2c:b0:5d:42:bb:8b (try 1/3)
<6>[   11.300000] ath0: authenticated
<6>[   11.310000] ath0: associate with 2c:b0:5d:42:bb:8b (try 1/3)
<6>[   11.310000] ath0: RX AssocResp from 2c:b0:5d:42:bb:8b (capab=0x1431 status=0 aid=4)
<6>[   11.320000] ath0: associated
<6>[   12.200000] br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
<6>[   15.670000] nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.
---
root@160NL:~# ifconfig
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:69:FE:BF:2E 
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:286293 errors:0 dropped:181 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:137619 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:303364213 (289.3 MiB)  TX bytes:12458535 (11.8 MiB)

br0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:69:FE:BF:2E 
          inet addr:192.168.15.60  Bcast:192.168.15.63  Mask:255.255.255.192
          RX packets:72665 errors:0 dropped:27 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:502394 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:4129946 (3.9 MiB)  TX bytes:596404903 (568.7 MiB)

br0:0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:69:FE:BF:2E 
          inet addr:169.254.255.1  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:69:FE:BF:2E 
          RX packets:72682 errors:0 dropped:2 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:225492 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:5149680 (4.9 MiB)  TX bytes:302833634 (288.8 MiB)
          Interrupt:4

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:69:FE:BF:2F 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:5

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:208 (208.0 B)  TX bytes:208 (208.0 B)

Older build 25974 works fine with Default GW Mode at Auto(DHCP) but it still shows same weird IP associated with the bridge's MAC.

I think I read this is just a hack anyways ---
But bridges on broadcom's don't do this Cool
rayne6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26    Post subject: disconnecting after 15 seconds Reply with quote
i had this disconnection problem myself. my main router is on stock firmware from the internet provider and i swapped my tplink repeater for dd-wrt. i solved the issue going onto my main router and disabling the firewall there. it was the firewall which was blocking access. after doing this it works fine.
Kashif@WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:50    Post subject: shortcut forwarding engine successfully stopped Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

Following is my scenario.

Client Bridge : WNDR 2200v4, build 40559.

access to gateway IP of main router (Huawei from ISP), was never disrupted, and pingable all the time, but pinging to public IP (8.8.8.8 in my case) caused irregular disconnections, as faced by all. Surprisingly just after unplug and re plugging the LAN cable to my notebook, resolved it immediately, so that was the evidence there must not be any configuration or firewall kind issue.

Though i tried the manual assignment of Default GW Mode in wireless basic settings, but it didn't resolved the issue.

I reverted it back on DHCP mode and without disabling firewall I just enabled the syslogd from services and enabled all radios of Log Management under Security----->Firewall---->Log Management setting.

surprisingly it worked and my connection is stable since 60+ minutes with only less than 1% losses, which is quite normal and acceptable in wireless bridges.

After applying these setting, i notices the syslog message
"shortcut forwarding engine successfully stopped"
and I can relate this with Netgear built in feature of DDoS attack, since I have seen regular log messeges in Netgear stock firmware about the regular several DDoS attacks from multiple IPs from both internal and external. Else I dont see these messages in models other than Netgear.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: