Can you hide or change producer name and MAC on DD-WRT?

tipjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 13:41    Post subject: Can you hide or change producer name and MAC on DD-WRT? Reply with quote
Is there any way to hide or change my DD-WRT router's name and producer MAC (tp-link) on a LAN? It is now seen as "Tp-link" as Ap or Client?
Thanks
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes you can change your routers name look at basic settings>router name -- this will change the router network name only...!!!

In general radio vendor name is baked in, so it will comes out on Wi-Fi scanners as a TP-link you cannot change that or i dont know how...

yes you can clone your router mac address too...
just have a look at your GUI settings...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The time the vendor name is based on the first 6 hex values of the MAC address. The vendors are given a prefix that is known and the last 6 hex values are the unique id for device itself. Think of it as an IP address for the hardware in which you have the prefix and then the subnet.

This is how nmap can change the "vendor" of the NIC when testing.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
The time the vendor name is based on the first 6 hex values of the MAC address. The vendors are given a prefix that is known and the last 6 hex values are the unique id for device itself. Think of it as an IP address for the hardware in which you have the prefix and then the subnet.

i had that believe too, but with cloned address on Wi-Fi Analizer it was still showing TP-Link...
I always clone/change my MAC addresses to some random shit...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

i had that believe too, but with cloned address on Wi-Fi Analizer it was still showing TP-Link...

Interesting, but now I wonder how it is then... I guess I have never run across that before.
tipjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

So, as far as I understand, it can't be done.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
well if its not a problem try to change your router mac address, i cant do it right now to try it but it may work, as Wildlion suggested i haven't tried it for a long time... and i have a random MAC address on my router the only thing is if i hit the TP link vendors...by mistake.. ill see..

P.S. it turned up my MAC is not cloned any more...
There must have been an issue with MAC cloning as i
don't do a resets and keep my settings..my fault
so changing MAC to scrambled address removes the vendor name unless you scramble the first 6 symbols to something that is not another vendor name...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
tipjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well if its not a problem try to change your router mac address, i cant do it right now to try it but it may work, as Wildlion suggested i haven't tried it for a long time... and i have a random MAC address on my router the only thing is if i hit the TP link vendors...by mistake.. ill see..

P.S. it turned up my MAC is not cloned any more...
There must have been an issue with MAC cloning as i
don't do a resets and keep my settings..my fault
so changing MAC to scrambled address removes the vendor name unless you scramble the first 6 symbols to something that is not another vendor name...

Just to make it clear, do I need to change "Clone WAN MAC" in setup-> MAC Address Clone?
Thanks
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, if its not a problem...

just to clarify, some ISP use your MAC address to fetch you with an a (IP)via DHCP, related to your MAC, in this case you may not have an internet until you call ISP and tell them you have a new MAC address on your router...and so on...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
tipjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yes, if its not a problem...

just to clarify, some ISP use your MAC address to fetch you with an a (IP)via DHCP, related to your MAC, in this case you may not have an internet until you call ISP and tell them you have a new MAC address on your router...and so on...

so, do I need to change my pc MAC address first, then click on "get current PC address?
Thanks
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You do not need to you can just type in what you want in the boxes and hit save and then apply.

A list/mapping of MACs to vendors is (ps there are a lot):

https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=manuf
tipjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
You do not need to you can just type in what you want in the boxes and hit save and then apply.

YES! I just changed the first octet (is it okay?)and it seems to be working! I mean, I can't see the device's product name in the host list anymore, only the new MAC.

Ok, thank you very much
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
lovely, now the paranoia level goes down, down, down...
Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
tipjohn wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

YES! I just changed the first octet (is it okay?)and it seems to be working! I mean, I can't see the device's product name in the host list anymore, only the new MAC.

Ok, thank you very much

Yes just the first octet is okay, because (unless you unfortunately hit another vendor) it will be an unknown vendor/unallocated. Glad to have helped.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some router firmware has this feature that can pick random MAC addresses / clone PC MAC addresses. Would be nice if it was in this firmware.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: