New Build: 11-21-2019-r41586

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:
DATABLOCK wrote:
Successful flash, all functions working as expected.

Well.. this is my first comment after 6 years of dd-wrt use and wandering around the forum for a long time... anyways:

Anyone knows if DNSSEC "Cache DNSSEC data" option was fixed? I'm on r40634 and makes me feel that eventually that cache "overflows" and internet stops working for web browsing. At first seems to work fine, but after 2-5 hs, internet is ded.

Validate DNS Replies (DNSSEC) & Check unsigned DNS replies seems to work fine. And tests shows correct functioning.

Also: What about CAKE shaper? Had to use PIE in my build since works pretty fine (went from F to B score) and doesn't spikes connection with the same policies. CAKE supposedly came to fix bufferbloat, but it's too hard/unstable to make it work fine. Had a long time and came to the conclusion to give a try to PIE or fallback to the oldie but goodie FQ_CODEL.

Cheers!

r40634 WRT3200ACM

CAKE is spectacularly broken for me when I've tried to use it on my WRT1900ACS V2. (Including the latest builds).

I haven't tried a factory reset yet, but I will try this when I've some spare time to waste reconfiguring my router.
(I'm using FQ_CODEL_FAST successfully without a full reset).
Sponsor
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttowling wrote:
7heblackwolf wrote:
DATABLOCK wrote:
Successful flash, all functions working as expected.

Well.. this is my first comment after 6 years of dd-wrt use and wandering around the forum for a long time... anyways:

Anyone knows if DNSSEC "Cache DNSSEC data" option was fixed? I'm on r40634 and makes me feel that eventually that cache "overflows" and internet stops working for web browsing. At first seems to work fine, but after 2-5 hs, internet is ded.

Validate DNS Replies (DNSSEC) & Check unsigned DNS replies seems to work fine. And tests shows correct functioning.

Also: What about CAKE shaper? Had to use PIE in my build since works pretty fine (went from F to B score) and doesn't spikes connection with the same policies. CAKE supposedly came to fix bufferbloat, but it's too hard/unstable to make it work fine. Had a long time and came to the conclusion to give a try to PIE or fallback to the oldie but goodie FQ_CODEL.

Cheers!

r40634 WRT3200ACM

CAKE is spectacularly broken for me when I've tried to use it on my WRT1900ACS V2. (Including the latest builds).

I haven't tried a factory reset yet, but I will try this when I've some spare time to waste reconfiguring my router.
(I'm using FQ_CODEL_FAST successfully without a full reset).

Idk why people never talk about PIE. The queen against bufferbloat is CAKE (supposedly) and if doesn’t works, they pick FQ_CODEL. But in my little research, PIE was made to fight bufferbloat, and it does it very well imo based on my tests. No one gives a try with PIE.
jonfr780
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am seeing some drop out on 5Ghz WiFi on my mobile phone and Android TV box. I don't use 2.4Ghz WiFi because that frequency has heavy usage were I live. I have tried to resolve this problem but nothing seems to be working. I am using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std (11/21/19).
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:
Idk why people never talk about PIE. The queen against bufferbloat is CAKE (supposedly) and if doesn’t works, they pick FQ_CODEL. But in my little research, PIE was made to fight bufferbloat, and it does it very well imo based on my tests. No one gives a try with PIE.

Interesting you mentioned this. I tried using QoS a few years ago with no real success. I tried using Cake last week just for fun. I saw a slight benefit but, as with other users, my GUI locked up after a couple of hours so I disabled QoS.

A couple of days ago I tried all combos of QoS with Pie being my final choice for best results. Now using LAN & WAN, HFSC (better results than HTB???), Pie and all five TCP-Packet Priority boxes checked gave me the best results even if not spectacular. I went from an A, F, A+ to an A, C, A+ using this combo. It's been up and running for about 48 hours with no GUI lockups or other issues since enabled. Used the dslreports speedtest to determine the best setup ( https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest ) I mulitplied my upload/download speeds in Mb's by .95 and then multiplied that result by 1000 for the downlink/uplink input.

My router is behind a Zoom DocSIS 3.0 modem with the results being almost no buffer bloat on the upload and with download buffer bloat halved. I'm happy with the Pie setting and will continue to use it for now. I can't really see a difference in streaming but watching the router lights there does seem to be a more constant download with less change in and a more consistant blink rate. I would suggest trying all QoS combos waiting at least 30 seconds or more before re-testing after changing the QoS setup. It took a while to do the testing but it seems to have been worth the effort with Pie working well for me.

Edit: I was surprised that some setting actually reduced my score with FQ_Codel returning a B ,D , A+ and SFQ returning C, F, A+ ??? BTW, I did no further testing of CAKE since it seemed broken to me.
so333
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonfr780 wrote:
I am seeing some drop out on 5Ghz WiFi on my mobile phone and Android TV box. I don't use 2.4Ghz WiFi because that frequency has heavy usage were I live. I have tried to resolve this problem but nothing seems to be working. I am using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std (11/21/19).

Some for me with Oculus Quest on 5Ghz, WRT1900ACSv2.
In addition, again problems with Wireguard after some time, no status display, etc.
FTP also crashes from time to time, especially after streaming through VPN.

I am done with the DD-WRT beta stuff, found a nice Asus in Black Friday Sale with OpenVPN hardware acceleration.
jonfr780
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
so333 wrote:
jonfr780 wrote:

In addition, again problems with Wireguard after some time, no status display, etc.

I am done with the DD-WRT beta stuff, found a nice Asus in Black Friday Sale with OpenVPN hardware acceleration.

I am going to switch to Asus RT-AC88U AC3100 when I can afford it (costs 209,99€). Since I am tired with all the problems with dd-wrt firmware and the fact that Linksys wrt1900ac (v1) is from the year 2014 and I don't think that he can handle 4K streaming that I am start using soon.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonfr780 wrote:

I am going to switch to Asus RT-AC88U AC3100 when I can afford it (costs 209,99€). Since I am tired with all the problems with dd-wrt firmware and the fact that Linksys wrt1900ac (v1) is from the year 2014 and I don't think that he can handle 4K streaming that I am start using soon.

While I can understand people getting tired of dd-wrt never being out of beta, 4k streaming only needs about 25Mb/s speeds.

"Amazon recommends at least 15 megabits per second, while Netflix advises 25 Mbps. But if other devices at home will be occupying your bandwidth, 15 or 25 Mbps alone won’t suffice."

The Linksys can handle that without breaking a sweat. I stream in 4k now with Amazon prime on my wrt1900acs v.1

You could always try Openwrt or Gargoyle firmware which is based on openwrt and gives a much easier interface. I used Gargoyle for a long time on another router and liked it a lot but once I started using QoS, it couldn't match Openwrt or dd-wrt. I then used Openwrt and I think it's much more stable than dd-wrt is. The learning curve to do anything is much steeper though.
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
7heblackwolf wrote:

Interesting you mentioned this. I tried using QoS a few years ago with no real success. I tried using Cake last week just for fun. I saw a slight benefit but, as with other users, my GUI locked up after a couple of hours so I disabled QoS.

A couple of days ago I tried all combos of QoS with Pie being my final choice for best results. Now using LAN & WAN, HFSC (better results than HTB???), Pie and all five TCP-Packet Priority boxes checked gave me the best results even if not spectacular. I went from an A, F, A+ to an A, C, A+ using this combo. It's been up and running for about 48 hours with no GUI lockups or other issues since enabled. Used the dslreports speedtest to determine the best setup ( https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest ) I mulitplied my upload/download speeds in Mb's by .95 and then multiplied that result by 1000 for the downlink/uplink input.

My router is behind a Zoom DocSIS 3.0 modem with the results being almost no buffer bloat on the upload and with download buffer bloat halved. I'm happy with the Pie setting and will continue to use it for now. I can't really see a difference in streaming but watching the router lights there does seem to be a more constant download with less change in and a more consistant blink rate. I would suggest trying all QoS combos waiting at least 30 seconds or more before re-testing after changing the QoS setup. It took a while to do the testing but it seems to have been worth the effort with Pie working well for me.

Edit: I was surprised that some setting actually reduced my score with FQ_Codel returning a B ,D , A+ and SFQ returning C, F, A+ ??? BTW, I did no further testing of CAKE since it seemed broken to me.

Well.. a lot to say in this comment.
First, the wiki is kind of clear about using HTB/HFSC and WAN/LAN&WLAN:
Quote:
Set Port to "WAN". This works for all QoS setups EXCEPT, when using QoS by interface on a BRIDGED interface under "interface priority", UNBRIDGED interfaces work fine with WAN port setting. If you want to use QoS on a BRIDGED interface you must select port as "LAN & WLAN", which also works for all other QoS setups, but with slightly more CPU usage.
Select HTB as your packet scheduler if you have "queuing discipline" listed below it, if not then use HFSC.

So, there's no magic "combo wombo" in here.. just follow what they said.
The same applies to the multiplier: 0.85 is a nice point to start. Some routers can process faster the queue, some queues are too big, my traffic is not the same as yours. Rule of thumb is to fix this initial multiplier, and make a ping test to a DNS and see if ping numbers go crazy between changes.
Ultimate test will be setting policies for services and try to overflow network with streaming or downloads, and play some FPS games or use VOip services. Shaper should shine if everything was set accordingly and clients should see no difference in individual usage.

Last, don't do that:
Quote:
It is highly recommended to have at least, SYN, FIN & RST checked, OR, none at all.

Documentation is your friend unless you already dealt with everything and try to test weird corner cases or usages scenarios Wink
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

--------------------------------
I'll be working in my sign later
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
so333 wrote:
jonfr780 wrote:

Well.. DD-WRT is for users that want to experiment with firmware changes. We do this because we enjoy being part of this. Devs are not paid for their work.

So either you pay devs to make "stable" versions for ya, or go use "stable" (stale) manufacturer software. Rolling Eyes
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:

Well.. DD-WRT is for users that want to experiment with firmware changes. We do this because we enjoy being part of this. Devs are not paid for their work.

So either you pay devs to make "stable" versions for ya, or go use "stable" (stale) manufacturer software. Rolling Eyes

That's true with respect to DD-wrt but other 3rd party firmwares put out milestone builds that are considered "stable". People have complained forever that there's nothing like that with dd-wrt.

Tomato, Open-wrt, Gargoyle all have similar disclaimers about the firmware but they also try to fix bugs for the stable build releases.
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ellick wrote:
7heblackwolf wrote:

That's true with respect to DD-wrt but other 3rd party firmwares put out milestone builds that are considered "stable". People have complained forever that there's nothing like that with dd-wrt.

Tomato, Open-wrt, Gargoyle all have similar disclaimers about the firmware but they also try to fix bugs for the stable build releases.

I'm a C++ developer. I can tell you no "stable" software has 0 bugs. Stable just passes some tests with preconditions and rules.

Here, with dd-wrt some magic occurs: people tend to have weird/custom settings, and that's showtime for bugs.

Users with Linksys/Asus/whatever, tend to use auto/basic settings. So, I'll make you a question: does your dd-wrt works like charm when the first time or when you restore 30/30/30? Exactly, it's an illusion of stability. Go to an asus stock firmware and set QoS with custom policies, VPN, forward ports, set some network disks, VAPs, adblocker server, and tell me how well they can handle all of that. Wink

I'll try to upgrade to this rev and report differences here between my build and the new one (since I consider my build r40634 std (08/14/19) very very stable).
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ 7heblackwolf

You're missing the point I'm making. Other 3rd party firmware tend to set a list of features then work to fix bugs before adding more. Certainly no software is going to be without bugs but they work to get builds that meet a certain standard for a "stable" release. Then they have separate beta or alpha builds people can test as they work towards the next release.

BS does not do that with dd-wrt. He's constantly adding and changing things so you never know from one build to the next what's going to work and what's going to be broken. There's never any builds labeled as a release candidate much less stable. That's why the forum ends up with "Sticky" threads where people debate the best builds for a particular router.

It's just different way of doing it. DD-Wrt is BS's baby so he can do what he wants.

The last build that works best for me is r40009. Since that build, DD-wrt changed to a new linux kernel, added multiple new QoS disciplines and a large amount of code had to cut because builds got too big to flash to partition 2 on Linksys routers. I'm sure there are other things that were changed or added. That's a lot of changes in a short amount of time.
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ellick wrote:
@ 7heblackwolf

You're missing the point I'm making. Other 3rd party firmware tend to set a list of features then work to fix bugs before adding more. Certainly no software is going to be without bugs but they work to get builds that meet a certain standard for a "stable" release. Then they have separate beta or alpha builds people can test as they work towards the next release.

BS does not do that with dd-wrt. He's constantly adding and changing things so you never know from one build to the next what's going to work and what's going to be broken. There's never any builds labeled as a release candidate much less stable. That's why the forum ends up with "Sticky" threads where people debate the best builds for a particular router.

It's just different way of doing it. DD-Wrt is BS's baby so he can do what he wants.

The last build that works best for me is r40009. Since that build, DD-wrt changed to a new linux kernel, added multiple new QoS disciplines and a large amount of code had to cut because builds got too big to flash to partition 2 on Linksys routers. I'm sure there are other things that were changed or added. That's a lot of changes in a short amount of time.

Did you tried Kong builds?
Sounds like you don't like to try "in dev" software, which evades the whole idea of dd-wrt from start (you should know that before getting involved).

Devs do what they can. People here are open to report and help for the cause. If you don't like, you can contact them and make a complain about it. But again, he's the one involved in developing. If you want better software and working metodologies, you can get involved in developing. AFAIK, code is written in C. You can fork to Github/Bitbucket and stablish milestones and follow trillion tickets about issues.

Update: Downloading r41586! Will update and report. Still believing this build is a solid one Very Happy
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
7heblackwolf wrote:

Did you tried Kong builds?
Sounds like you don't like to try "in dev" software, which evades the whole idea of dd-wrt from start (you should know that before getting involved).

LOL 6 posts to the forum you joined less than 2 weeks ago and you think you have it all figured out.

You obviously haven't been following any of the new build threads for the last few months or you'd know better. I'm just going to ignore you.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK (or remember) Kong never developed anything for Marvell when he was still here. How ignorant. But anyway, the part of the haphazard development style of BS is almost on point. I think I'll refrain from personal thoughts for the moment lol
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: