SOLVED: DD-WRT Truncating ta.key in OpenVPN setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 14:15    Post subject: SOLVED: DD-WRT Truncating ta.key in OpenVPN setup Reply with quote
Router: TP Link WDR4300v1
DD-WRT Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r36330 std (07/16/18)

On a working OpenVPN server configuration I am attempting to enable TLS Authentication to further harden the connection. I have followed instructions at the very good blog post found at https://www.outoftolerance.com/2016/09/25/hardened-openvpn-with-dd-wrt/ to generate and enable TLS authentication.

I paste the contents of the ta.key as follows:

-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
**2048-bit easy-rsa generated ta.key redacted**
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----

After clicking apply, when I check syslog, I get the following error in the log:

daemon.err openvpn[2437]: Insufficient key material or header text not found in file '/tmp/openvpn/ta.key' (120/128/256 bytes found/min/max)

Then I go back to check the configuration and sure enough dd-wrt has truncated the file so its missing over half of the key.

I've done a lot of searching and can't find anyone else with this same problem or a solution

EDIT: I upgraded the firmware to 41468 and still get the same problem.

EDIT 2: OK, this seems to be browser specific. I did not encounter the problem using Internet Explorer on Windows 10 Professional, but I do encounter the problem using Firefox. Someone might want to look into why the GUI is truncating the key with Firefox.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: