TP-Link Archer C7 (v4) AC-wifi speed drops w/ security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
chewyfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:37    Post subject: TP-Link Archer C7 (v4) AC-wifi speed drops w/ security Reply with quote
I was successful with installing DD-WRT. I reset the router to default settings and if I connect to the WiFi while unsecured I get full expected throughput of the AC wireless (1300 I believe?). Once I add on WPA2 security the speed drops. I can't get anything better than Wifi G speeds with it. My devices are right next to the router, so it isn't a distance thing.

As mentioned above, everything is set to default. I've tried playing around with the settings, manually selecting channel (153), settling the wifi mode to only N/AC Mixed, setting the channel width to 80 MHz, etc. Nothing works except removing security.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I enabled AES transmission for the security. This seems to have fixed it. Sorry for the wasted post Razz
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 23:38    Post subject: Recommended Settings Reply with quote
Read the Recommended Settings here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

This is the reason why most users don't get AC/N speeds. Channel width, security, Short GI, Short Preamble, clear channel selected (don't use Auto).

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
when any kind of n/ac modes OTHER than regular "mixed" is selected, it should grey out invalid security options, like wpa1/wep/tkip

just my 2 cents..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

chewyfood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 14:54    Post subject: Re: Recommended Settings Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Read the Recommended Settings here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

This is the reason why most users don't get AC/N speeds. Channel width, security, Short GI, Short Preamble, clear channel selected (don't use Auto).

So, when I select the default 20 MHz channel width, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 289 mbps. My laptop (Surface Pro 3) is able to get the max speedtest results for my connection (100/100), but network transfer speeds don't go higher than 120 mbps.

If I select the HT40 40 Mhz option, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 600 mbps. My laptop is able to get the max speedtest results and network transfer rates are around 300 mbps.

If I select the VHT80 80 MHz option, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 1300 mbps. My laptop does no where near proper transfer rates. Speedtest results are like 40/9 and network transfer speeds are below 8 mbps.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Re: Recommended Settings Reply with quote
chewyfood wrote:

So, when I select the default 20 MHz channel width, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 289 mbps. My laptop (Surface Pro 3) is able to get the max speedtest results for my connection (100/100), but network transfer speeds don't go higher than 120 mbps.

If I select the HT40 40 Mhz option, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 600 mbps. My laptop is able to get the max speedtest results and network transfer rates are around 300 mbps.

If I select the VHT80 80 MHz option, ddwrt reports a transfer rate of 1300 mbps. My laptop does no where near proper transfer rates. Speedtest results are like 40/9 and network transfer speeds are below 8 mbps.

some wifi adapters have issue with 80Mhz if the channel is not set to 36 (to use channel up to 48 ) so you should set the channel to 36 for testing, or do not work with 80 Mhz "fat" channel at all or use a instead of n/ac. And the Marvell chips on the surface are known for bad performance with theoretical max of 866mbps but real word much less
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: