New BS Beta Build 10-24-2019 (r41379)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 18:15    Post subject: Re: broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 Reply with quote
parco wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
mali843 wrote:
was wondering when would someone use broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 vs using broadcom_K3X also i got a WNDR4000, been using K3X would the mipsel32r1 build be better?(notice the K3X is about a 32kb larger than mipsel32r1 build)

I have no details on what those experimental builds are for, but your router is a MIPSR2, so using that build may not be a good idea.

Router/Version: Cisco-Linksys EA2700
File: dd-wrt-41379-ea2700.trx
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41379 giga (10/24/19)
Kernel: Linux 3.10.108-d8 #30 Thu Oct 24 17:26:48 +04 2019 mips
CPU: Broadcom BCM5357 chip rev 2 (BCM47186)
CPU Features: MIPS32r1 MIPS32r2 MIPS16 DSP DSP2
CPU Frequency: 480 MHz (some said 500MHz)
Mode: Gateway/AP
TCP Congestion Control: Westwood
Status: transport layer (UDP/TCP) hangs or disconnections in wireless LAN

I can't find "HONG KONG" in Regulatory Domain of Wireless setting page in webGUI anymore. So what should I choose now? Wifi standard in Hong Kong is different from the mainland China after all...
And the problem of the "Apply Settings" button is still existed. Pressing "Apply Settings" button in the Wireless Security page with any random configs or even just keeping default "no security", does always brick my router until unplugging power and re-plug the power again (hard power restart). Sometimes just pressing "Reboot Router" button does brick my router as well, until unplugging power and re-plug the power again, too. This bug should be fixed as soon as possible. The ticket for this bug was created before already: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6721

Several recent builds are much better than the ancient builds already, less TCP/UDP hangs and shorter hang/recovery time. Great job!
Seems like improving things like nl80211, mac80211, cfg80211 or ndpi-netfilter has improved wifi so much. Good job and keep on!
But nothing helps anymore whatever even use WPA2 only and AES only, Group Key Renewal Interval set to 0 and default English WebGUI language, nothing improved and nothing different with all above.
use WPA2 only and AES only? nothing different.
Group Key Renewal Interval set to 0? nothing different.
Keep default English WebGUI language? nothing different as well.

Beside, I use these scripts as startup scripts, seem to make my router much smoother and further less hangs:
Code:
sleep 10

echo 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
echo 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max
echo 4096   87380   67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
echo 4096   87380   67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
echo 1383   1847   16384 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem
echo 8192 > /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize

You see they just loosen the max. memory size limitations of TCP/UDP/socket connections. But any scripts modifying any queue sizes (e.g. netdev_max_backlog, tcp_max_syn_backlog) only make things worse.
67108864 = 64MB = Total physical RAM size of EA2700. Thought that might eat up much more memory than before, but finally overall not much difference than before, and only a few MB more junping up and down sometimes.
16384 pages mean 64MB Total physical RAM size as well, 4096 page size supposed.
IP filter maximum ports 65536 / 8 = 8192 hash size, which is a standard way.

Now I'm quite sure those TCP/UDP hangs in Wifi are related to the congestion control or something related around. There should be something conflicted or crashed/deadlocks inside somewhere of the congestion control working place or something related around.

Hangs usually happen when:
1. Suddenly huge amount of connections created at the same moment, whatever TCP or UDP or mixed, whatever how less amount of data each connection is actually transferring.
2. Any wifi devices newly connected (in link layer) to the AP or disconnected from the AP or shutdown.
3. Any wifi devices are woken up from a long-time sleep mode (e.g. turning on the screen of a phone) or wifi link speed changed (slower or faster than before, default auto Transmission Fixed Rate in DD-WRT)
4. Multiple wifi devices streaming videos or downloading large files at the same time.

I've tested about this for several weeks already, repeatedly proved that.
Usually images, video and audio connections hang much more than text or command connections.
Router CPU suddenly full of workload for at least half a minute or more. Nearly 100% loads, I have no ideas what was the Broadcom CPU busy for.

Wifi reactions become longer latency, longer response time after devices repeatedly connect and disconnect from the AP for many times. But much less hangs when longer latency, longer response time.
And I can only see some TX errors counted in Wifi AP, but always no any RX errors. Strange!

Conclusion: when the wifi link speed changes or busy transportations which trigger the congestion control take places, transport layer (TCP/UDP) hangs occur in wifi.

Hope this problem would be fixed completely soon.

P.S. 5GHz wifi radio device inside EA2700 is Broadcom BCM43236

I asked BS about your problem and he answered:

Quote:
Am 26.10.2019 um 09:02 schrieb Hranislav Milenkovic:
Atheros:
for EA8500, R7800 & r7500v2 reports 41380 instead of 41379 but I supose this is intended... also tplink 841N v9 and 841nd V11 still can't be upgraded through GUI...
Broadcon:
has no complains only one observation:

I can't find "HONG KONG" in Regulatory Domain of Wireless setting page in webGUI anymore. So what should I choose now? Wifi standard in Hong Kong is different from the mainland China after all...
i removed invalid country settings from all broadcom devices. most of these country codes worked like shit which was a major reason for wifi problems like missing vht 80 or 160 support etc.

only on qca chipsets you get the full list right now. hong kong might still use uk regulation. so like europe

Several recent builds are much better than the ancient builds already, less TCP/UDP hangs and shorter hang/recovery time. Great job!
Seems like improving things like nl80211, mac80211, cfg80211 or ndpi-netfilter has improved wifi so much. Good job and keep on!
But nothing helps anymore whatever even use WPA2 only and AES only, Group Key Renewal Interval set to 0 and default English WebGUI language, nothing improved and nothing different with all above.
dont know what you want to say. what do you want expect to be better if its already working. so use use wpa2, aes fine. group key renewal of 0 is nothing you should do. default is 1 hour. without renewal timing you get wifi security issues. its basicly insecure to set it to 0

Beside, I use these scripts as startup scripts, seem to make my router much smoother and further less hangs:
Code:
sleep 10

echo 4096 87380 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
echo 4096 87380 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
echo 1383 1847 16384 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem

You see they just loosen the max. memory size limitations of TCP/UDP/socket connections. But any scripts modifying any queue sizes (e.g. netdev_max_backlog, tcp_max_syn_backlog) only make things worse.
67108864 = 64MB = Total physical RAM size of EA2700. Thought that might eat up much more memory than before, but finally overall not much difference than before, and only a few MB more junping up and down sometimes.
the hash size is auto calculated to max / 8. you dont need to set it unless you want a different value from that math

Now I'm quite sure those TCP/UDP hangs in Wifi are related to the congestion control. There should be something conflicted or crashed/deadlocks inside somewhere of the congestion control working place.
i dont know about tcp/udp hangs. udp cannot hang. its a stateless protocol. tcp may hang but has timeouts and retransmission. so its wifi. if its poor. make it better and if you dont want it poor, stop buying broadcom hardware

1. Suddenly huge amount of connections created at the same moment, whatever TCP or UDP or mixed, whatever how less amount of data each connection is actually transferring.
2. Any wifi devices newly connected (in link layer) to the AP or disconnected from the AP or shutdown.
3. Any wifi devices are woken up from a long-time sleep mode (e.g. turning on the screen of a phone) or wifi link speed changed (slower or faster than before, default auto Transmission Fixed Rate in DD-WRT)
4. Multiple wifi devices streaming videos or downloading large files at the same time.

Usually images, video and audio connections hang much more than text or command connections.
Wifi reactions become longer latency, longer response time after devices repeatedly connect and disconnect from the AP for many times. But much less hangs when longer latency, longer response time.

Conclusion: when the wifi link speed changes or busy transportations which trigger the congestion control take places, transport layer (TCP/UDP) hangs occur in wifi.

yea. broadcom. correct. still broadcom. i cannot change that you have broadcom. the driver must be used as is. its not fixable if there is a issue. broadcom doesnt fix bugs. they do not ship updates. they dont care
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 18:47    Post subject: Re: broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 Reply with quote
I figured I would delineate what BS actually replied by quotes, because your post was @#$%^&*! painful to decipher, Mile-Lile.

Mile-Lile wrote:

I asked BS about your problem and he answered:

Quote:
Am 26.10.2019 um 09:02 schrieb Hranislav Milenkovic:
Atheros:
for EA8500, R7800 & r7500v2 reports 41380 instead of 41379 but I supose this is intended... also tplink 841N v9 and 841nd V11 still can't be upgraded through GUI...
Broadcon:
has no complains only one observation:

BrainSlayer wrote:
i removed invalid country settings from all broadcom devices. most of these country codes worked like shit which was a major reason for wifi problems like missing vht 80 or 160 support etc.

only on qca chipsets you get the full list right now. hong kong might still use uk regulation. so like europe

BrainSlayer wrote:
dont know what you want to say. what do you want expect to be better if its already working. so use use wpa2, aes fine. group key renewal of 0 is nothing you should do. default is 1 hour. without renewal timing you get wifi security issues. its basicly insecure to set it to 0

Code:
sleep 10

echo 4096 87380 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
echo 4096 87380 67108864 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
echo 1383 1847 16384 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem

BrainSlayer wrote:
the hash size is auto calculated to max / 8. you dont need to set it unless you want a different value from that math

Now I'm quite sure those TCP/UDP hangs in Wifi are related to the congestion control. There should be something conflicted or crashed/deadlocks inside somewhere of the congestion control working place.

BrainSlayer wrote:
i dont know about tcp/udp hangs. udp cannot hang. its a stateless protocol. tcp may hang but has timeouts and retransmission. so its wifi. if its poor. make it better and if you dont want it poor, stop buying broadcom hardware

BrainSlayer wrote:

BrainSlayer wrote:
yea. broadcom. correct. still broadcom. i cannot change that you have broadcom. the driver must be used as is. its not fixable if there is a issue. broadcom doesnt fix bugs. they do not ship updates. they dont care

Y'know, I could write a rather lengthy reply to this, but this is what I will say. I don't even know if BS has a dual band Broadcom MIPS device to test with. I just know that eventually, even in recent builds, GTK does and doesn't work. I quit trying to test the default 1 hour setting because it kept causing wi-fi hangs and I would have to disconnect and re-connect, even with DTIM set to 3, Android phone on 2.4 and others on 5GHz band. This is a well-known issue that I got tired of reporting. I am not having this issue with <Kong> 40270M on R7000P, with or without my phone connected to the 5GHz band..... I still don't know if he's figured out all of <Kong>s Broadcom patches, but I know that I don't have ANY issues with the R7000P with over a month of uptime Arrow
ACwifidude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router/Version: Netgear R6250 (two of them)
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41379 std (10/24/19)
Previous: r41174 Sep 26th build
Mode/Status: Gateway / working; AP / working
Reset: no
Issues/Errors: Working great!

Inactive: R6250 X 2 BS DD-WRT
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17    Post subject: Re: broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Y'know, I could write a rather lengthy reply to this, but this is what I will say. I don't even know if BS has a dual band Broadcom MIPS device to test with. I just know that eventually, even in recent builds, GTK does and doesn't work. I quit trying to test the default 1 hour setting because it kept causing wi-fi hangs and I would have to disconnect and re-connect, even with DTIM set to 3, Android phone on 2.4 and others on 5GHz band. This is a well-known issue that I got tired of reporting. I am not having this issue with <Kong> 40270M on R7000P, with or without my phone connected to the 5GHz band..... I still don't know if he's figured out all of <Kong>s Broadcom patches, but I know that I don't have ANY issues with the R7000P with over a month of uptime Arrow

i didnt notice this issue with R7000P running BS build 41218. i have one android phone on 2.4Ghz, multiple iPhones and FireTV on 5Ghz. is it a MIPS only issue or does it affect ARM?
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30    Post subject: Re: broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 Reply with quote
parco wrote:

i recall that the 5GHz radio in the EA2700 is not supported in ddwrt and BS said it won't be, does it work for you now? just wondering as i see you mentioning it.
thommy181
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 13:24    Post subject: New BS Beta Build 10-24-2019 (r41379) Reply with quote
Router/Version: Netgear WNR 3500L v2
File: dd-wrt.v24-41379_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500Lv2.chk
Kernel: Linux 3.10.108-d8 #26 Thu Oct 24 17:21:35 +04 2019 mips
Mode: Internet Gateway and WIFI AP
Uptime: 14 h. 15 min.
Reset: No

Router working without problems after update via ssh from 15 Oct 2019
Veritech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 13:50    Post subject: Re: E1200v2 Reply with quote
Veritech wrote:
Router/Version: E1200v2
File: DD-WRT v3.0-r41379 mega (10/24/19)
Kernel: Linux 3.10.108-d8 #42 Thu Oct 24 17:40:44 +04 2019 mips
Mode: Router with QOS enabled
Uptime: 1hr 25min
Temps: 48.3 °C
Overclock: 400Mhz (300Mhz stock)

Not sure if it was the new build or the overclock (will check) but the CPU usage has dropped using QOS. QOS is applied to the WAN interface with HFSC PIE (cake was highest CPU usage) with a 15Mbps limit.

.:UPDATE:.

I left this router run over the weekend and the webui is non-responsive. I didn't enable syslogging so I'll reboot it and start collection some data once its turned on. The router still passes traffic and is still applying QOS to the WAN interface though.

.:EDIT:.

After I power cycled the router the set username and password is no longer valid. Default login does not work either. So far this build hangs the webui and has caused the set logon creds to become unusable. Can not logon to setup syslog so no new data yet.
scrubymcbubble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 16:42    Post subject: DIR-868l Rev B Reply with quote
Router/Version: DIR-868l Rev B
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41379 std (10/24/19)
Kernel: Linux 4.4.197 #156 SMP Thu Oct 24 11:35:58 +04 2019 armv7l
Previous: r37305
Mode/Status: Bridge, OVPN TAP Server, DDNS, HTTPS / working
Reset: no
Issues/Errors: Rock Solid, No issues connecting multiple clients to VPN server over last 9 days, using GCM ciphers and crypto-TLS successfully.

Uptime: 9 Days
Temperatures: CPU 78.0 °C / WL0 49.3 °C / WL1 48.8 °C

(old firmware r37305 had higher temps and 4kb more nvram utilization with the same configuration) Big improvements.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:14    Post subject: Re: broadcom_K3X_mipsel32r1 Reply with quote
nolimitz wrote:
parco wrote:

i recall that the 5GHz radio in the EA2700 is not supported in ddwrt and BS said it won't be, does it work for you now? just wondering as i see you mentioning it.

Yes, the USB-bus 5GHz radios are not supported, and won't be because he can't figure out how to make the drivers work.

nolimitz wrote:
i didnt notice this issue with R7000P running BS build 41218. i have one android phone on 2.4Ghz, multiple iPhones and FireTV on 5Ghz. is it a MIPS only issue or does it affect ARM?
Maybe the cron fix in 41189 fixed some things related to the radio timer? Did you ever have issues with it on BS builds or did you recently switch over from <Kong> builds?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Rudolfo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 22:54    Post subject: Re: E1200v2 Reply with quote
Veritech wrote:
Veritech wrote:
Router/Version: E1200v2
File: DD-WRT v3.0-r41379 mega (10/24/19)
Kernel: Linux 3.10.108-d8 #42 Thu Oct 24 17:40:44 +04 2019 mips
Mode: Router with QOS enabled
Uptime: 1hr 25min
Temps: 48.3 °C
Overclock: 400Mhz (300Mhz stock)

Not sure if it was the new build or the overclock (will check) but the CPU usage has dropped using QOS. QOS is applied to the WAN interface with HFSC PIE (cake was highest CPU usage) with a 15Mbps limit.

.:UPDATE:.

I left this router run over the weekend and the webui is non-responsive. I didn't enable syslogging so I'll reboot it and start collection some data once its turned on. The router still passes traffic and is still applying QOS to the WAN interface though.

.:EDIT:.

After I power cycled the router the set username and password is no longer valid. Default login does not work either. So far this build hangs the webui and has caused the set logon creds to become unusable. Can not logon to setup syslog so no new data yet.

I also have the same issues. It worked fine during the first few days but now I cannot access the webui. I can ping it however.

My router is an Archer C7 v2
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
A lot of work has been done on the gui and is still been done.
So it might be fixed in the last or coming builds

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: