WiFi drops internet every so often wired works 100% [SOLVED]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 21:06    Post subject: WiFi drops internet every so often wired works 100% [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Router: WRT3200ACM
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36410 std (07/28/18)

I tried a newer version but it caused all kinds of WiFi issues and I had to revert back.

I tried v40559 and v40527 before jumping all the way back to this version. Willing to try a newer version if someone had a similar issue and can tell me the newer versions are better.

The symptom: Any WiFi device will connect properly. Be it 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz. This connection works for a while then randomly the internet stops working. The WiFi connection is still strong.

This happens from my Linux machine, Windows machine and all of our phones.

All devices directly connected by wire do not have this issue ever.

Because it happens on every wifi device I am ruling out the devices. Especially since every one of them worked perfectly prior to switching routers and dd-wrt versions.

I have tried selecting specific radio channels (not running in auto mode) and the problem continues.

Turning the wifi off and back on for any given device solves the issue until it happens again.

Also, it doesn't happen to every wifi device at the same time making this even more strange.

The phones have been setup to auto switch so they will flip to 4G for a moment and then come back to WiFi without any human interaction and that keeps them on WiFi most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by schworak on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
NBA Jam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting your key refresh interval to 86400, then reboot. This effectively solved it for me.
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am assuming "Key Renewal Interval (in seconds)" is the same thing. I set that last night just after your message came in. So far it seems to be working.

It was set at 3600, so one hour. Changing it to 86400 sets it to 24 hours. I'll let this ride for a couple days looking for the issue to raise its head again.

Thanks for that tip
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you got radar detection on? Do you live next to an airport (etc)?
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is "radar detection"?

Yes, I live near a small airport. But I never had this issue before and I have been here for 12 years. I just recently upgraded my router from a Linksys 1200AC to Linksys 3200ACM because the old router died.

I got everything on the new one working but this one issue of the internet connection stopping on WiFi every so often. So far (less than 24 hours) changing the time worked but it feels like a bad idea and not the right solution. I get the idea that what ever the real cause is, will just happen less frequently but will still happen by changing the time interval.
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
WELL HECK!

Just lost the internet again!!!!!

Scrolling though Facebook and everything stopped loading. Ping stopped working. WiFi is connected and strong...

Hit the hotkey to turn WiFi off and back on and all is working again. So changing the renewal interval had nothing to do with it. It hasn't even expired since the time I set it last night.

Any other suggestions?
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
schworak wrote:
What is "radar detection"?

Yes, I live near a small airport. But I never had this issue before and I have been here for 12 years. I just recently upgraded my router from a Linksys 1200AC to Linksys 3200ACM because the old router died.

I got everything on the new one working but this one issue of the internet connection stopping on WiFi every so often. So far (less than 24 hours) changing the time worked but it feels like a bad idea and not the right solution. I get the idea that what ever the real cause is, will just happen less frequently but will still happen by changing the time interval.

Radar detection detects radar, as you might expect, preventing your beefy router from causing air traffic accidents. Might be cutting out for this reason. Probably best not to turn it off, and check what channel you are using on 5GHz - and which bands are affected by radar.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've occasionally seen reports of issues with N-Only. Try AC/N-Mixed for ath0.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only going to worry about the 5Ghz settings for now since all of my devices live there and only guests are on 2.4Ghz any more.

I switched back to AUTO on the channel. I have previously tried every single channel one at a time and got the same results with every one. So I don't see how this makes any difference. But I may revisit this later.

Attached is a picture of my current settings after applying suggestions. I expanded the ADVANCED options in case something in there catches someone's eye.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

REVISED: Just spotted "Radar Detection" in the advanced features... It is marked DISABLED in the picture but I am switching it on right now to try it out.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's what has worked on all of my routers for 5 GHz wifi:

AP, AC/N-Mixed, VHT80, fixed channel (36UU or 149UU if in the US), Radar Detection disabled. On the 3200, be sure to disable the third radio. Only use ath0 and ath1, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi.

You might want to consider using a build that is known to be super solid for all WRT routers: 40009. It's only a few months old, and once you are working there, you can experiment with newer builds. (I am doing OK with 40784 also, as long as QoS is disabled.)

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Version 40559 caused a number of really bad issues making the router nearly useless to me. So I backed up a few. The versions you mentioned are not available to me.

I'll try moving up a couple versions and see what that does for me.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Anyone know how long it might be before a newer version is out? Especially since you mentioned 40784.

I take it all versions are not available for all routers... There is no 40009 in my list.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
schworak wrote:
There is no 40009 in my list.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/
schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
But are they safe to install if they don't show up in the database for my router?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
schworak wrote:
But are they safe to install if they don't show up in the database for my router?

Well, let me put it this way: I haven't used that database for over 10 years.

Follow the "new build" threads in this Marvell forum and you will get a better idea of user experiences with a particular build.

That said, SurprisedItWorks knows what he is talking about, see his signature.

r38159, r39144 and r40009 are all good.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
schworak wrote:

The router database is basically deprecated and has been for years. It should be ignored. The "beta" builds at the links just offered are the main item now, though you need to look over the new-build thread for a given build before flashing it. It is a mistake to assume the latest is the best. Some builds are great and give people few problems, but some are utter disasters. We had one recently for the Linksys/Marvell WRT… routers that locked up routers so badly that the arcane serial-cable recovery procedure was the only alternative to writing off those routers as "bricked." Those who read the new-build thread first avoided the problem.

Most major routers have an associated forum post that functions as basic training material for setting them up with dd-wrt. For the WRT… routers it is the Cliff Notes sticky post near the top of the Marvell forum. Trying to set up one of these routers without that background is very likely to leave you tangled in a world of pain. There is a link in that post to a guide to setting up wifi in routers like these that use Atheros wifi chips. Following that guide is a must.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: