D-Link DIR-615 rev E3 latest firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ninjaboylao
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:28    Post subject: D-Link DIR-615 rev E3 latest firmware? Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm back with a less complicated question about the same PoS router as last time.. we've been running it as a repeater, making it broadcast the same SSID as our primary router so that the WiFi network reaches the back of our house. I believe the technical term is as a "repeater bridge". A constant problem with this router is that, running the version of dd-wrt currently on it (r259xxx something, I don't remember off my head and can't check it at the moment), the router will occasionally just straight up stop working.. the network broadcasts but all connected devices lose internet access at the same time. I'm not skilled enough to pinpoint exactly what's happening, but if I was to guess I would chalk it up to "some small problem in that specific build of dd-wrt on that specific router".

I want to know, what is the latest confirmed working and stable build of dd-wrt is for this hardware? The newest forum post about this is from 2015, so it's a bit dated as is.. I don't want to try and troubleshoot exactly what's going wrong, the last time I messed with it I was at it for hours. I'd like to just know what the latest stable version is and see if upgrading to that build of dd-wrt fixes it, since as i recall all the settings were as they were supposed to be. Any help is greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I'm posting against the rules in some way.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is your host/main router and it's settings?

As far as buiilds... I would run 41218 on both routers as a starting point.
make sure to completely reset both routers and enter all your settings anew.... you're on such an old build and so much has changed that you'll likely spawn gremlins if you don't reset your settings.

That's a good place to start too.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321066&highlight=dir615

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 17:53    Post subject: Upgrade via Command line Reply with quote
Also, in addition to the above recommendations. I would suggest upgrading via Command line for these units. The DIR-615 is notorious for having some bad GUI issues (that will never be fixed).

Reset to factory defaults, do not restore from a back-up file.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

cd /tmp
wget (Link to firmware download)
write (filename) linux
erase nvram;nvram erase
reboot

Run each command a line at a time, waiting for the NL/CR to appear to say the last command is finished.

PS: I have several DIR-615 E3 and C1, none of which are currently in use. Very stable wifi on these though. Not fast but stable. Way better then most of my routers.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 20:28    Post subject: Re: Upgrade via Command line Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Also, in addition to the above recommendations. I would suggest upgrading via Command line for these units. The DIR-615 is notorious for having some bad GUI issues (that will never be fixed).

Reset to factory defaults, do not restore from a back-up file.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

cd /tmp
wget (Link to firmware download)
write (filename) linux
erase nvram;nvram erase
reboot

Run each command a line at a time, waiting for the NL/CR to appear to say the last command is finished.

PS: I have several DIR-615 E3 and C1, none of which are currently in use. Very stable wifi on these though. Not fast but stable. Way better then most of my routers.

I would not upgrade to the 41xxx builds, because many of them have GUI issues on older CPU and 4M flash devices.

There was a post around for a DIR-615 D rev with a working r3929x build (Ralink Chipset instead of Atheros) but same flash and memory size

I don't own such a device, but comparing to similar equipped devices I would flash the r39927 or r39944 build that seem to have less issues with these chipsets, maybe ian is able to check one of these builds on one of his unused "DIR-615 paperweight"

Last edited by servicetech on Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36; edited 1 time in total
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 22:48    Post subject: Re: Upgrade via Command line Reply with quote
servicetech wrote:

I would not upgrade to the 41xxx builds, because many of them have GUI issues on older CPU and 4M flash devices.

Completely agree!!! 41027 had a problem with http and since I reset to factory, there was no way to access. After going through serial I think something else was wrong, but I just gave up and decomissioned/got rid of it. Sad was a good work horse for many many years
ninjaboylao
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Re: Upgrade via Command line Reply with quote
servicetech wrote:

There was a post around for a DIR-615 D rev with a working r3929x build (Ralink Chipset instead of Atheros) but same flash and memory size

I don't own such a device, but comparing to similar equipped devices I would flash the r39927 or r39944 build that seem to have less issues with these chipsets, maybe ian is able to check one of these builds on one of his unused "DIR-615 paperweight"

my device is an Atheros chipset, are the 4MB boards considered small now? The wiki refers to it as a "4 MB board, so no need to use "micro" DD-WRT builds.".

I'm away from home traveling a little at the moment, just checked in on this thread as the other members of the house were asking if I had made any headway.

Ian5142, I'll definitely do it like that when I get back tomorrow. I'll update this when I do as well and let y'all know how it went. Apologies for the late reply as well.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38    Post subject: GUI Upgrade fails Reply with quote
The GUI upgrade process has been broken on these devices for a while. I have been upgrading mine via SSH for a while now. Telnet is enabled by default, SSH is not.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Jonathan_foster@hotmail.c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:17    Post subject: My D-Link Won't Update For Nothing Reply with quote
Specs
Name: D-Link
Model: DIR-615
Hardware: E3
Firmware: 5.10

The Firmware Update: dir615_revE_FW_510NA.bin

I have a D-Link DIR-615 that wont boot-up. I've tried the 30/30/30, hard reset, soft reset, and anything i tried everything, the power light just continues to flash orange. tried every hardware/firmware update (Always..."Incorrect Hardware ID) when at the Hardware ID firmware update page. https://support.dlink.ca/emulators/dir615_revE/510/tools_firmw.htm
This is what my router looks like. this is an emulator. If see at the top it tells you the hardware and firmware (2X). Don't know why its there.

Mod edit 10.18.23 kp69 (fixed broken url tags)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This isn't necessarily a DD-WRT question if you are trying to flash stock firmware, but if you are trying to flash DD-WRT, you may need to flash a specific initial flash version.

Jonathan_foster@hotmail.c wrote:
Specs
Name: D-Link
Model: DIR-615
Hardware: E3
Firmware: 5.10

The Firmware Update: dir615_revE_FW_510NA.bin

I have a D-Link DIR-615 that wont boot-up. I've tried the 30/30/30, hard reset, soft reset, and anything i tried everything, the power light just continues to flash orange. tried every hardware/firmware update (Always..."Incorrect Hardware ID) when at the Hardware ID firmware update page. https://support.dlink.ca/emulators/dir615_revE/510/tools_firmw.htm
This is what my router looks like. this is an emulator. If see at the top it tells you the hardware and firmware (2X). Don't know why its there.

You have to use IE (I don't think Edge in IE compatibility mode will work) or Firefox portable v13.x.x or older, usually. Device wiki for E3 is somewhat unmaintained.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44909.0

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_E3

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Devices (CTRL+F "DIR-615")

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: