Why are we here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 14:44    Post subject: Why are we here? Reply with quote
This project appears to be losing steam. Posting in Contributions uploads is mostly met by crickets.

Is DD-WRT no longer recommended?

Is third-party router firmware still a good option in 2019?

Kong's recent departure for openwrt is a big loss.

Is this just because stock firmware is now good enough for most people? Are other projects filling a need not filled here?

In 2016 I picked dd-wrt to get better usage monitoring over stock. This is still true today especially if yamon is installed.

With entware installed, the features of dd-wrt are almost limitless.

What brought you to dd-wrt?
    What keeps you with dd-wrt?
    What makes you consider leaving dd-wrt?
    What could dd-wrt improve to attract/retain users/devs?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
If everybody would contribute (like you are doing) or donate, it would even be better.

That said the last time I checked netgear firmware some months ago it was still using K2.6 which is EOL.

So yes it is way better and has way more possibilities.

But more developers would be nice Smile

But dying, no way sir !

OpenVPN Server Setup:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318795
Install guide R7800: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614
Wireguard Server setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1183135
Wireguard Client setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624
Wireguard Advanced setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324787
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT supports the most hardware from any 3rd party Firmware. DD-WRT ARM SoC has newer Kernels running on them then OEMs. DD-WRT has many options in the GUI. Brainslyer is constantly fixing and updating code unlike other developers.

DD-WRT Community is the best and the Forums is rich with information from many Great people. I find it next to impossible to getting answers on the Tomoato and Xwrt Forums.

I have tried Tomato & Xwrt-Vortex both are on Kernal 2.6 for an internal router with wifi security fixes it's OK. But anything WAN related I always use DD-WRT. I do have one R7000 on Xwrt-Vortex only because the ISP IPTV Boxes only connect wirelessly via WPS. Once these IPTV Boxes are "primed" from WPS, I use the same wireless settings on a R7000/R7800 with DD-WRT and connect to them.

I haven't tried Kong's OpenWRT since it's limited to a couple of Routers plus I've read the GUI doesn't compare to DD-WRT and very limited options unless you code in openwrt.

DD-WRT isn't perfect but using DD-WRT for over 10 years I've learned to do work around's.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r44406 Std
WRT610Nv1 - Client Bridge - DDWRT r33679 Mega K2.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r44406 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
n0obuser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of what made me come to ddwrt, I wanted a more secure firmware and wanted to be assured that there are no backdoors on my AP. Security is my first priority. I have overlooked ease of usability for enhanced security for several years now.

Also, My router was about to run out of warranty, So Flashing the firmware seemed like the best idea since I would not mind overriding warranty at this point.

Frequent security patches in firmware and new security options is what I like most about dd-wrt. I'm just another average-joe who like having a secure networking environment for his basic day to day life Smile DD-wrt seemed like a right choice for me especially now that warranty was running out and I was free to choose better firmware and with minimum concerns of consequences of bricking the device.

Been using ddwrt for few days now. Loving it so far.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only reason why I came here is because the router that was given to me to use was flashed with DD-WRT and I wasn't all that familiar with it. Now that I am, I only remain here to see if things will ever improve. I don't have the energy to bother trying to re-setup a local dev environment for 20+GB of source code. This project would probably be easier if SVN was dropped in favor of Git, but that ain't gonna happen. Let's obfuscate things by default and be a paranoid god-complex hack. You asked. And I'm being nice.

P.S. We only have one semi-active moderator on the forum. Because it's dying a painfully slow death. There's ways to fix that, but telling me I don't know sh*t ain't one of them.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Let's obfuscate things by default
I also get the impression that gpl is a legal requirement that is reluctantly followed. An obstacle course for would be developer contributors, such as obsolete toolchains, seems to be deliberate.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
yoyoma2 wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Let's obfuscate things by default
I also get the impression that gpl is a legal requirement that is reluctantly followed. An obstacle course for would be developer contributors, such as obsolete toolchains, seems to be deliberate.

But you can't GPL proprietary code unless it's released as GPL. I'm still having issue believing there is an NDA with Broadcom. Looks more like reckless hacks of open source drivers in the upstream kernels is going on to me. Maybe I should do an official request for information. I was also not impressed when I found out that MIPS, ARM, and RHEL were still patching, supporting, and maintaining a 2.6 kernel, when I was vehemently told that it wasn't being touched any longer. Also, going back to something someone once told me, you don't have to compile a new kernel every time one is released unless there is a major security fix. It's been a while, but there was a time that all of my Linux systems had custom kernels precisely configured for hardware, purpose of system, etc., down to the gnat's ass. So, I kinda understand a few things. Like the fact that Broadcom released a bunch of patches to the stuff they released as open-source that ties in with their proprietary code. But, again, what the f*ck do I know.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: