Seperate VLAN for Guest Wifi

bougey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:39    Post subject: Seperate VLAN for Guest Wifi Reply with quote
Dear DD WRT community

I have been experimenting with dd-wrt the last few days. I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r40900 std (09/04/19) on an ASUS RT-AC68U router.

My network setup is the following:
DSL Modem -> pfSense Firewall (APU2) -> dd-wrt as access point (ASUS RT-AC68U)

I have configured the router as a wireless access point using the instructions at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Then, I configured 3 different SSIDs: WiFi-Home, WiFi-Guest and WiFi-IoT. Now, I would like to create a different VLAN for the WiFi-Guest network. To achieve this I have taken the following steps:

On the pfSense firewall, I have created the required VLAN (with tag 4 for the guest vlan), the interface and enabled DHCP. On DD-WRT I have configured a VLAN using telnet and the nvram instructions:
Code:
nvram set vlan1ports="1 2 3 4 5*"
nvram set vlan4ports="1t 5"
nvram set port1vlans="1 4"
nvram set vlan4hwname=et0

The ethernet cable is plugged in the Assus router port 1. I have created a new bridge br1 which is assigned to vlan4 and w0.2 (the wireless connection corresponding to the WiFi-Guest SSID).

When I try to connect to the WiFi-Guest network, I simply receive an error message "Can't connect to WiFi". Does anyone have a clue what I might still be missing?

Please note that without the vlan4/br1 configuration, the WiFi-Guest network, works as desired.

Besides hours of trial/error and reading on Google, I am fairly new to DD-WRT. If you have any pointers on how I might debug this, they are really welcome!

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Regards
bougey
Sponsor
bougey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys

Based on https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321381 I have added the below listed command as a startup command via Administration > Commands:

Code:
sleep 20; stopservice nas; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

VAPs that cannot be assigned to VLANs are a recurring issue on the forums. I hope other users can benefit from my search.

I still have issues with my pfSense configuration though. It seems that my pfSense firewall is not correctly assigning an IP via DHCP. However, at least I can connect to the Guest wifi now.

Regards
bougey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: