R6300v2 Cannot Update From r28444

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
beeric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:15    Post subject: R6300v2 Cannot Update From r28444 Reply with quote
Hello!

I have a R6300v2 already running DD-WRT (r28444). I have discovered via multiple threads that this version has an upgrade bug that prevents upgrade via the UI.

The rest of the version is completely functional, so I have telnet enabled, and working without issue. I'm looking for alternative ways to get off of this current firmware. I have tried TFTP and tftp2.exe methods, which I'll describe below. I hoped to find a telnet upgrade method, but the thread on this in DDWRT wiki said in the first line "DO NOT DO THIS, IT WILL BRICK YOUR ROUTER". As I have a working router, I'd like to avoid breaking it, if at all possible.

I believe my TFTP methods likely didn't work because the router is not broken at the moment. I have restarted the router while running "ping -t -w 2 192.168.1.1". As soon as I get TTL=100, I run TFTP or TFTP2. Both say they failed, and eventually the router boots as expected, with the same old firmware.

Do I have any other upgrade options here, or do I have to run a command like "mtd erase linux" to first break my router in order to fix it?

I've found a few telnet upgrade posts, but they were from nearly 13 years ago, so I'd like to confirm my options first.

Thanks!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash <-- This might help you out. Click on the link 'releases' for binaries if you are on Windows or Mac. There are required other things that need to be installed for it to work. This seems to be the go-to method to use. You may have to flash back to stock firmware first, then back to DD-WRT, but this will fix you up. You should've posted this in the Broadcom forum Cool https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R6300v2
beeric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies. This page (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R6300v2) said it was an ARM device, so I posted here. If an admin feels like moving or deleting this thread, go for it.

I'll take a look at that tool. The options suggest using an ".img" file, but Netgear only supplies a .chk file. I will do some research and see if it's compatible.

Thank you for the reply!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you go further down the wiki on hardware details, you will see that it's Broadcom, but it's an honest mistake. Many people have reported that this utility works on Netgear devices without fail, it seems Netgear and the normal tftp method aren't very friendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: