New BS Build: r40932 09-07-2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
bdg2 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
bdg2 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
bdg2 wrote:
Hackintosh wrote:
It seems to get the full experience for the interface when updating you should reset your settings.

And yet dd-wrt is still has ZERO features to help you do this. Evil or Very Mad

constant resetting isnt even needed.. but those who want to..

u have a clear option in administration --> factory defaults, or on the upgrade tab, select "after flashing, reset to"... Rolling Eyes

The old saved settings are not even slightly human readable.

what does that mean?

The file (e.g. nvrambak_r40009_DD-WRT_Netgear WNDR3700 V4.bin) is just a non human readable binary blob.

do u not know how to use nvram backups..? its not supposed to be a plain english .txt file.. administration tab --> backup --> select the nvram save file --> click restore. or simply dont erase during/after every update is the same thing as (100% POINTLESS) resetting after updating, then restoring settings after that

No the whole point is that sometimes it's not the same because something in the internal format changes but nobody twlls you when! Sometimes there is a rumor sometimes people like you now deny it.

But when every single build crashes at various points such as https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6722 I am forced to manually reenter my settings to see if that fixes it and I am also continually experimenting with my settings. And yes I have also bought a second router to rule out hardware problems.
Sponsor
Hackintosh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be fair, I had kept my settings 'as is' since the end of 2017. Not so long ago I had upgraded my 2018 copy to the more current 2019 build. So I do not upgrade as often as most (or perhaps as often as you should).

I do not believe it is required that you reset in most cases. So there really is no need to be mad about this. That said, to each their own.
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seldom reset because of the effort involved to reconfigure everything. However, I have found a way to easily make a full backup of the GUI interface including all the options, check-boxes, keys and custom scripts.

Check out HTTrack Website Copier. http://www.httrack.com I use the Windows version with a GUI. But there are also command line, Linux, and OSX versions.

I use it almost straight-out-of-the-box, with only one option set: Change the scan rules to
Quote:
-* +*.asp +*.htm

This will grab a functioning snap-shot of your current dd-WRT set-up (The user interface will respond, no changes are made to router).

Makes a side-by-side comparison of new and old very easy. My one complaint is that the mirror copy it makes is too exact. Sometimes I get confused which one I am looking at. Confused

I have no connection to HTTrack but have found it useful and thought I would share.

[Edit for clarification]
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
bdg2 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
bdg2 wrote:
I mean there is nothing to help me correctly re-enter my 27 static DHCP allocations, DNSMasq commands to stop dd-wrt using my ISP's DNS servers, various settings and ceritificates for the OpenVPN server etc. etc.

The old saved settings are not even slightly human readable.
what does that mean?
The file (e.g. nvrambak_r40009_DD-WRT_Netgear WNDR3700 V4.bin) is just a non human readable binary blob.
You can either:
    nvram show | grep -ie {dhcp} -e {dns} -e {cert} -e {vpn} -e {ssl}
and whatever other parameters you need to restore, or...
    nvram show [| sort] > nvram.txt //don't recall if DD has `sort`
...and then go thru the list and find what you need, then you can make a script that does a:
    nvram set {parameter}={value};[...];nvram commit && reboot
I recall forum posts about doing this kind of thing, with example scripts (and the Useful Scripts wiki). A bit of work on the front end, but then you're golden. Wink Or at least a bronze patina... Razz
Or just don't reset. Cool

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't reset unless I see a specific commit that is going to possibly cause an issue if I don't reset. And it has to be a commit to the webUI server or page(s). Another good tip is to clear your browser cache when you're flashing and configuring. I've had the best luck with Firefox ESR. Every other browser has given me some kind of issues with the webUI. I will probably do a reset on the next build I flash because the serial console is reporting one thing and the webUI page is reporting another IRT nvram size Shocked Confused Exclamation
cursemex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
since we're on the topic of resets, does nvram erase via telnet damage the hardware overtime? Say, over 5 years with nvram usually after upgrades?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
cursemex wrote:
since we're on the topic of resets, does nvram erase via telnet damage the hardware overtime? Say, over 5 years with nvram usually after upgrades?

try 15 years, doing it every single day, maybe. so "no". cause nvram is so tiny, and most if not all nand flash used in consumer routers are SLC, tough stuff (meanwhile modern SSDs in computers get worse with QLC, die faster, slower writes lol...)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Honestly, I wish the 'reset to defaults after flash' function worked 100% of the time without soft-bricking or other hoodoo voodoo. I haven't tested it in a while, though.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: