D-link DIR-878 assistance and development status

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Lilrock
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 15:52    Post subject: D-link DIR-878 assistance and development status Reply with quote
Greetings,

I'm using a D-link DIR-878 router that only has BETA release for its firmware. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right location and I would like to help support the development of this firmware by sending my notes, experiences and logs.
The main reason I'm posting is because of the router "failing" my network in terms of Internet access and WiFi dropping.

Please let me know where I should be posting, what information that you would like from me (including where I might be able to access it) and if this information might help contribute to the development for a more stable version.

Backstory: I purchased this router in hopes of a reliable and steady LAN/WiFi connection with proper security. I have a little square that currently assists with WiFi for my Wife until this new router can fully support my at home setup.

The downside part about the default firmware that came with the DIR-878 was the fact that MAC address filtering was non-existant and I have lots of experiences with people hacking into my WiFi network. MAC Filtering is the best chance I have. I complained at D-link and they said that I couldn't do anything about changing to a different firmware.

Note: It does have MAC Filtering, but it's the case of constantly monitoring a list 24/7 and hope they show up to permanently kick them out of your router. For them to "show up" on the list is only if they're connecting to your router by WiFi and are using DHCP.

The two issues I've been having are WiFi dropping and Network drop. The only reason I could see this is if the router overheats and shuts down or can't handle the massive work all at once. I've had a router that did that and we were out of Internet for a good 5 minutes.

The symptoms are:
- A pulse of WiFi internet every 3-9 minutes for only a minute
- If my device overloads WiFi data when initially connecting, I lose Internet right away
- After I have WiFi for an undetermined set of time or processing power, the WiFi signal disappears
- At times during WiFi signal disappearing, the LAN network slows down

Thanks for including me into the community and I hope I can be of help!
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
This belongs in the Ralink forum which I’ve moved it to.
All the firmware is beta. Don’t use the router database use this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

If you look through this forum, you can see which build works and which doesn’t.

Navigation

Jump to: