Wifi signal freeze / drop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
andy-andy-andy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:14    Post subject: Wifi signal freeze / drop Reply with quote
I have my main router in front of my house. It is a Linksys EA3500.

In the middle of my house, I basically have a giant wall of metal from pipes, a/c, etc. The signal from the front router never makes it to the back no matter how close I have tried to get it to the back of the house.

As such, I added an old router I own as a remote access point. It is a Linksys WRT400N I had lying around. I added DD-WRT to it & ran a cat7 cable from the main router to this one. To the best of my knowledge, it is set up properly per the instructions here to act as a wired access point.

The wifi signal in the back of the house is working now from the extended access point. To make it easier to access without having to switch routers back & forth, I have both using the same SSID.

The problem I am facing that I cannot workout is that there is now a space between the two routers that they both reach. Wifi connections in that space tend to freeze. I suspect it is because of a confusion of the two SSIDs. I have tried tweaking multiple settings to fix it, but cannot seem to find the solution.

I am competent enough to provide any settings I have and change anything that is needed, but not quite enough to understand the nuanced settings that I likely need to tweak to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 16:57    Post subject: WIki article Reply with quote
Hello,
Have you read the following wiki article: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

In particular this section: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point#Roaming_access

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.

Atheros:
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
Linksys WRT400N - bricked
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - not used
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
TP-Link 1043nd v1, inactive, unstable hardware
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - Gateway, DHCP, QoS
student13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. I think you should run the second wifi router unit , as a separate wifi router with its own dhcp server with its own adresss range , as opposed to putting it in an --access point mode--- where the ip adresses are given out by by the EA 8500.

I do realize you may have to slect "AP" in the wireless settings, despite this being counter intuitve to run the router as a spearate wifi router.

2. Make sure that the address range on your wifi extender router are different than our EA8500. IE if ea8500 is on 192.168.1.1, then externder should be accessed through the 192.168.2.1 range. IE you have to set the web client access address as 192.168.2.1 , that will make the router force a different range of ips.

3. MOST IMPORTANT. Run the SSID, on a different name and channel from the EA8500.

By doing these steps, you should be able to at least tease out teh problem.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
student13,

He said --
andy-andy-andy wrote:
I have my main router in front of my house. It is a Linksys EA3500.

If was an EA8500 he wouldn't be having that issue in first place Razz
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Linksys EA3500 is a Marvell. Just wanted to toss that in the mix.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_EA3500
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: