GPL Request - Missing Sources for Atheros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ATHDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:38    Post subject: GPL Request - Missing Sources for Atheros Reply with quote
Currently there is no way to compile any firmware for atheros devices due to missing wireless sourcecode.

Please publish wireless source code for atheros devices.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
*scratches head* You're either blind or my eyes deceive me.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:10    Post subject: Atheros vs Broadcom Reply with quote
Atheros is mostly open-source. Broadcom isn't. They use large sections of binary blobs. Ex: Atheros's version of software NAT acceleration (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) is open-source, Broadcom's (Cut-Through Forwarding) is not.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me clarify: All of the Atheros source code and drivers are in the kernel source trees on the public repository. Firmware files, I am not 100% sure on, but the source code is there for the drivers and SoC boards.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ath10k fw is publicly available. see "ath10k fw github" on google

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

ATHDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Let me clarify: All of the Atheros source code and drivers are in the kernel source trees on the public repository. Firmware files, I am not 100% sure on, but the source code is there for the drivers and SoC boards.

This is not true. In Makefile.pb42 and others, make -f Makefile.pb42 ath9k is called. Under rules/all.mk ath9k points to a private directory include $(TOP)/private/ath9k-rules/ath9k.mk, see

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/rules/all.mk

Just placing public available ath9 code there is not working.

Also there is no code in the public repository for wireless tools such as iw etc. thus most likely not only ath9k code is contained in this private directory.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're going to kick your own ass when you figure it out.
ATHDude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You're going to kick your own ass when you figure it out.

I already figured it out, in:

configs-checkout:
rm -rf $(TOP)/private
svn co svn://svn.dd-wrt.com/private $(TOP)/private
$(TOP)/private/symlinks.sh $(TOP) $(LINUXDIR) $(ARCHITECTURE)

This missing directory is pulled from a non public repository, see:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/rules/configs.mk

So it is clear now, that wireless code for ath and missing tools like iw reside in this repository.

Again I kindly asked for clarification from a dd-wrt developer.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then email BrainSlayer and see how far you get....
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHDude wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

This is not true. In Makefile.pb42 and others, make -f Makefile.pb42 ath9k is called. Under rules/all.mk ath9k points to a private directory include $(TOP)/private/ath9k-rules/ath9k.mk, see

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/rules/all.mk

Just placing public available ath9 code there is not working.

Also there is no code in the public repository for wireless tools such as iw etc. thus most likely not only ath9k code is contained in this private directory.

yes its tricky. basicly you can integrate your own mac80211/ath9k etc variant based on compat wireless. but it requires some work. i now added my mac80211 tree to the svn repository (you may need to change the path to get it working) with all local modifications i did. ath9k and ath10k is still excluded but you can integrate it from the official repository. i excluded it for a good reason since it contains code to unlock somewhat "curious" channels which are violating the fcc and etsi rules which should not be missused. i added also my building rules to the svn which helps with external builders

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ This was a given and something I already knew before I destroyed my local code repo. It is very tedious to figure out what is and isn't in the public repo for whatever reason, but what was there before those commits could be made to work if you looked hard enough. One could even implement their own packages, kernels, etc. outside of the DD-WRT base code if one were so inclined. They could even completely build a source tree that is organized differently, if they wanted and make it work -- but that would make pulling updates from the public repository a bit difficult Wink Cool
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
^ This was a given and something I already knew before I destroyed my local code repo. It is very tedious to figure out what is and isn't in the public repo for whatever reason, but what was there before those commits could be made to work if you looked hard enough. One could even implement their own packages, kernels, etc. outside of the DD-WRT base code if one were so inclined. They could even completely build a source tree that is organized differently, if they wanted and make it work -- but that would make pulling updates from the public repository a bit difficult Wink Cool

its not as hard at least like in the early days of development. sometimes you have troubles with bad libraries in the local operating system. personally i only work with opensuse (latest leap right now). but i also managed todo with with ubuntu. all in utf8 localisation and english os language. if you have a difference character set than utf8 or compatible you may have problems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't used SuSE in years -- 16 or so years, to be exact. That machine was running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but is now running Debian 10. Not 'hard', just time-consuming -- tedious. Most factory GPL source code organization is different, so following the bouncing ball is a little different, but not impossible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: