Printer on secondary router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
AlanHK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Printer on secondary router Reply with quote
I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std on a Buffalo WHR-G54S
It's in wireless client mode, and connects to my ISP's wifi router, on 10.0.0.138

The secondary (DD-WRT) router has default IP 192.168.1.1

So with my PC wired to the Buffalo, it gets LAN IP 192.168.1.2
I plug my printer into it too, and set its IP to 192.168.1.8 (Printer only has ethernet port, no wifi.)
Now I can use it from my PC via that IP.

But I also want to print from other devices, eg a laptop that connect to the ISP router and has a LAN IP of 10.0.0.x
It cannot connect to 192.168.1.8.

So I conclude I need to put everything on 10.0.0.x.

I can imagine two approaches, hope someone can advise whether either would work and if both would, which would be preferable.

1) Stick with client mode. Change secondary router IP to 10.0.0.200, have it give out IPs above .200. Set the ISP router to use .1 to .199.
Would devices connected to the primary be able to use a printer on the secondary?

2) Change the secondary to "client bridge" or "repeater bridge" mode.
I presume the primary router will give everything connected to the secondary a 10.0.0.x IP.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The two options I can think of are

1) client bridge mode on DD-WRT so everything is on the same subnet;
2) setup proper port forwards for your printer.

The only other recommendation I have is if you are going to use client/client bridge wireless mode, you may wish to update to at least 33772 build to mitigate KRACk vulnerability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: