Opinion about Linksys WRT1900ACS v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
roland90
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 20:06    Post subject: Opinion about Linksys WRT1900ACS v2 Reply with quote
I currently have a Linksys WRT1200AC v2 which is good but I would like to buy a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2.
Any opinion, comment appreciated.

Is it good?
If you have this model, don't hesitate to share your experiences about it.
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two of them and have helped friends and family get up another four on dd-wrt. We all love it. Two of the six eventually got squirrely until we added cheap USB fans, which dropped the CPU temp some 15C. And the front-panel LEDs do fade badly with age. Those are the only hardware issues we've had though.

Some say it has less wifi range than the Netgear R7800, etc, but it has plenty for my average-sized house (for the US), and I'm seriously fond of the relative (not absolute... see the new-build thread for 40863) unbrickability that goes with having two partitions. And when I see in the forums how many workarounds are required for that typically recommended Netgear, even to get ordinary functions like multiple VAPs, I'm amazed that it's considered in these forums to be THE router to beat.

I've watched Marvell new-build threads pretty closely for a couple of years, and based on what I see there and my own relatively trouble-free experience, I'm convinced that the WRT1900ACSv2 is the only WRT to have. It's evolved past the early WRT problems but its just old enough to dodge the proprietary-wifi-driver problems of later WRT models. A real sweet spot. Apparently the problems of the other WRTs have poisoned the image of the entire line, but this model just doesn't have the problems.

Builds since 40134 do require loading in the first partition, as they've become too large for the second. And the last build, 40863, got a wee bit larger than the one just previous and sent this model into a boot loop requiring a USB-to-TTL cable and some careful work to unbrick. But when an svn was then posted about it, BS came back (within the last day or two) with an assertion that the size problem is now fixed and will appear in the next release. We shall see.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 21:36    Post subject: Re: Opinion about Linksys WRT1900ACS v2 Reply with quote
roland90 wrote:
I currently have a Linksys WRT1200AC v2 which is good but I would like to buy a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2.
Any opinion, comment appreciated.

Is it good?
If you have this model, don't hesitate to share your experiences about it.

I managed to get a very cheap 1900ACSV2 and it's a solid router. The main issue is the open drivers for Marvell which are a bit flakey. I think that accounts for the not very good latency I get on ACS / 5G (it's 20ms on 2.4 GHz and 45-50ms on 5GHz).

Brainslayer claims the new builds should fit on both partitions.
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue with latency could be related to this customisation made on this open wrt build https://dc502wrt.org/releases/

"Wifi has the AMSDU option disabled. This keeps latency low for the 1200ac/1900acx models. The 3200acm model is unaffected"

I also found this ticket, which could be related
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6007
roland90
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks the comments all of you, I will order this Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: