Secondary router set up as separate network - No Internet

devnull10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55    Post subject: Secondary router set up as separate network - No Internet Reply with quote
Hi,
I have an existing ISP-provided router (A) which I currently use for my networking. It is set up with pretty much default settings, using DHCP etc.
I also have a router (B) which has DD-WRT installed, and I'm trying to set up to act as a completely separate network, but using the internet connection provided by router (A).

To do this, I reset router B to defaults, and then set the operating mode to be Router. I then set the Router IP to be 192.168.10.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I set the DHCP to serve addresses 192.168.10.100+. I then connected the WAN port of router B to a spare LAN port on router A.

So - when I log into Router B and go onto the WAN status page, I can see it has connected to the network provided by router A, and has received an IP address in the range 192.168.5.* - which is the DHCP range of Router A. So all seemingly good up to now.
However if I then connect my laptop to Router B, I get an IP from it in its DHCP range (192.168.10.102 for example) however if I try to go to any internet address from that laptop I get no connection. I have not set up any DNS on router B, I am expecting it to be picked up from the DHCP of router A (which has google DNS's).

If I connect my laptop to router A, I can ping router B.

So - everything looks to be set up correctly, and based on IP's assigned etc, everything also seems to be working as it should up to that point - it's simply that any device connected to my router B is unable to access the internet.

If I tracert to www.google.co.uk it doesn't seem to get out of Router B:

Code:
Tracing route to www.google.co.uk [216.58.211.163]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     4 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.10.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Have I missed something obvious??
Sponsor
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:08    Post subject: Re: Secondary router set up as separate network - No Interne Reply with quote
devnull10 wrote:
Hi,
I have an existing ISP-provided router (A) which I currently use for my networking. It is set up with pretty much default settings, using DHCP etc.
I also have a router (B) which has DD-WRT installed, and I'm trying to set up to act as a completely separate network, but using the internet connection provided by router (A).

To do this, I reset router B to defaults, and then set the operating mode to be Router. I then set the Router IP to be 192.168.10.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I set the DHCP to serve addresses 192.168.10.100+. I then connected the WAN port of router B to a spare LAN port on router A.

So - when I log into Router B and go onto the WAN status page, I can see it has connected to the network provided by router A, and has received an IP address in the range 192.168.5.* - which is the DHCP range of Router A. So all seemingly good up to now.
However if I then connect my laptop to Router B, I get an IP from it in its DHCP range (192.168.10.102 for example) however if I try to go to any internet address from that laptop I get no connection. I have not set up any DNS on router B, I am expecting it to be picked up from the DHCP of router A (which has google DNS's).

Have I missed something obvious??

Change mode from router to AP if you need double NAT

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
devnull10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:36    Post subject: Re: Secondary router set up as separate network - No Interne Reply with quote
h8red wrote:

Change mode from router to AP if you need double NAT

Hi,
I don't have AP as an option. See attachment for what I have. Do I need to flash a different dd-wrt version?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gateway*
devnull10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Gateway*

Ah - sorted thanks! That seems to have done the trick. I must say though - the help in the web GUI is a bit confusing!?

Quote:

Operating Mode:
If the router is hosting your Internet connection, select Gateway mode. If another router exists on your network, select Router mode.

Hence why I chose "Router" originally.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Had you read through all of that, you probably might have saved yourself a headache.
devnull10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did read tons of documentation - however again, it seems a bit confusing?

Quote:

Extend the Wireless access area using more routers, with WIRED connections between routers, or turn a wired port on an existing network into a Wireless Access Point. All computers will be on the same network segment, and will be able to see one another in Windows Network. This works with all devices with LAN ports, and does not require dd-wrt to be installed.

Because in my case, all computers are not on the same network.
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
People nowadays want a solution right here right now. Documentation or wiki in this case does not work. Z generation. The way it is

Sorry. Off topic

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
devnull10 wrote:

Because in my case, all computers are not on the same network.

Make router B in router mode. And make it DHCP forwarder

devnull10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Working fine with Gateway mode now thanks.

I really don't expect "help for nothing" though - I can assure you I read a lot of documentation/wiki/help guides etc. Anyway, sorted now - cheers all!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
And people accuse me of being a grumpy old man, sheesh haha. Yes, you do have the option of router mode, dhcp forwarder in this configuration, and yes, sometimes the wiki is a little 'confusing'. Glad you are up and running, now you can tinker until your heart's content if you like Cool
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
When in router mode, NAT is turned off. You will not get a replay back from Router A because it does not know where network 192.168.10.0 is. You have to enter a static route on router A.

Route to 192.168.10.0/24 gateway 192.168.5.*

where 192.168.5.* is the WAN address of router B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: