High Bufferbloat on R7000P

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 0:58    Post subject: High Bufferbloat on R7000P Reply with quote
Running firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r39345M (04/03/19)

It was really bad playing CS:GO and turning on QOS completely alleviated the issue however I’ve never had this issue with DD-WRT on any router.

I did an "erase nvram && reboot" to eliminate any potential weird settings that might be interfering... nope, problem persisted. WiFi and Ethernet both. Problem is I only have QOS for CS:GO. I don’t want a million QOS rules. I’ve never had these issues before. I’m starting to suspect DNS issues.

Should I disable Static DNS, or DNSMasq? I am unsure what DNSMasq does.
Sponsor
Dr_K
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please do pay attention....This is not new information...

Builds after around 4/2018 now require

nvram erase

reboot

Using Telnet or SSHd only

Not saying that it will fix all your problems.... but surly is a better start. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WRT160Nv3 DD-WRT ?v3?.0-r35531 mini (03/26/18 ) Access Point
WRT54GSv5 DD-WRT v24-r33555_micro_generic (10/20/17) Repeater
Location 2
R7800- DD-WRT v3.0-r51855 (02/25/23) Gateway
R6300v2- DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 (10-26-22) Access Point
WNDR3700v2 DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/18 ) Access Point
E1200 v2 DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 mega-nv64k (03/26/18 ) Gateway(for trivial reasons)
RBWAPG-5HACT2HND-BE RouterOS-v6.46.4 (2/21/20) Outdoor Access Point
2x RBSXTG-5HPACD RouterOS-v6.46.4 (2/21/20) PTP Bridge 866.6Mbps-1GbpsLAN
Location 3
2x R7000- DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 (10/26/22) Access Points
2x RBWAPG-60AD RouterOS-v6.45.9 (04/30/20) PTP Bridge 2.3Gbps-1GbpsLAN
2x RBSXTsqG-5acD RouterOS-v6.49.7 (10/14/22) PTP Bridge 866.6Mbps-1GbpsLAN

Thank You BrainSlayer for ALL that you do & have done, also to "most" everyone here that shares their knowledge
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do we know what the router setting are, wi fi and ect...
Usually games are high udp users, (well few of them i know)
so either check what they need and set the correct settings..or update and try again..
to start with it, give us a pic with some settings, like wifi, and dnsmasq , QoS ect.,
you can hide the sensitive data...

so to diagnose the problem ISP quality, modem settings, router settings and variety of clients are important too...
the last thing to blame is router as routers are simple devices...
at last, it could be anything....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Do we know what the router setting are, wi fi and ect...
Usually games are high udp users, (well few of them i know)
so either check what they need and set the correct settings..or update and try again..
to start with it, give us a pic with some settings, like wifi, and dnsmasq , QoS ect.,
you can hide the sensitive data...

so to diagnose the problem ISP quality, modem settings, router settings and variety of clients are important too...
the last thing to blame is router as routers are simple devices...
at last, it could be anything....

I could say a whole lot here, but it would be pointless.
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr_k;
thanks I will keep that in mind.

Alozaros,
that’s why I mentioned I did a fresh install. Only changed some basic settings and wireless settings.

Nothing else has been touched. Like I said it presents over Wireless and Ethernet, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I’m quite sure it’s something in the router.

I will try the proper reset tonight.

kernal-panic69
Please don’t assume I’m some sort of ding dong who can’t tell his head from his ass.
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect your only issue is specifying 650000 (650mbps) for the downlink.

I don't own the R7000P, but my R7000 is only capable of reliably running QoS at 200mbps (it can run higher, but bufferbloat management degrades above that).

If the R7000P is more capable than I expect, ensure you're testing with a client whose link speed easily exceeds the QOS downlink value (i.e. Gigabit Ethernet).
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, few things i can see here...
SFE is not good with QoS, at least there are claims,that on the recent builds is fixed,
but i suspect it needs more work...so do not use it together
and yes R7000p has the same CPU amd does the same with WAN performance as R7000 around 300-400MBit WAN speed
without SFE and may be 500-600Mbit with SFE but doubtful...
Also i dont know, why you need STP?.. if you don't need it, you can fairly turn it off on WAN..as it takes down some performance...

another mistake the takes down wi-fi performance is
do not leave wireless channel to AUTO set fixed channels...
for 2,4 I use channel 11 + lower i don't use 5Ghz so no advise there but, you can find the best settings i guess.. use short GI, short Preamble...for max power select country domain Canada...personally i dont use those beamforming things too...
for NTP time use google NTP add only the IP address 216.239.35.4
cant see your DNSmasq settings, but one of the standard stuff there is
no-resolv
server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

replace xxx with your desired DNS settings, in this case DNSmsaq will use only those DNS servers,
instead of any others set in the basic settings menu or those fetched by the ISP

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
tinkeruntilitworks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by tinkeruntilitworks on Mon Nov 18, 2019 16:50; edited 2 times in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smaller pictures please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fried Chicken wrote:

kernal-panic69
Please don’t assume I’m some sort of ding dong who can’t tell his head from his ass.

I wasn't talking to or about you, there bud. I didn't quote your post. But anyway, I'll take my marbles and go elsewhere Mr. Green

BTW, Dnsmasq is your local dns proxy and dhcp server per your settings. If you disable using it for dhcp, then it uses udhcpd in that build. That build is pre-udhcpd removal from busybox configuration in DD-WRT. I don't know if <Kong>s last build was after that or not off the top of my head, but you may also wish to bump up to his latest build before CloneVince possibly takes down his mirror.
tinkeruntilitworks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

BTW, Dnsmasq is your local dns proxy and dhcp server per your settings. If you disable using it for dhcp, then it uses udhcpd in that build. That build is pre-udhcpd removal from busybox configuration in DD-WRT. I don't know if <Kong>s last build was after that or not off the top of my head, but you may also wish to bump up to his latest build before CloneVince possibly takes down his mirror.

are you familiar with unbound? would i want to disable the dhcp or does everything automatically get handed off to unbound when you tick it? would forced redirection be necessary? it wouldn't have a choice would it? feel free to ignore lol
trying to optimize and learn
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
flyzipper wrote:
I suspect your only issue is specifying 650000 (650mbps) for the downlink.

I don't own the R7000P, but my R7000 is only capable of reliably running QoS at 200mbps (it can run higher, but bufferbloat management degrades above that).

If the R7000P is more capable than I expect, ensure you're testing with a client whose link speed easily exceeds the QOS downlink value (i.e. Gigabit Ethernet).

This is what I suspect might be happening. I can connect via gigabit ethernet, my internet speed gives me up to 850 mb down 50 up. 50 up is reliable, 850 down not so much. The issue presents on computers connected via gigabit ethernet.

Should QOS be set for the client speeds or total speed? It seems like an extremely inelegant solution since I will have clients connected from 50 mbps to 1gbps.

Alozaros, I left SFE and STP on because I forgot which one is hardware acceleration for my gigabit internet.

Regarding Auto on the channels, I live in a congestion free zone. Regardless, this issue is not with WiFi.

Why should I go with google for my time server and not the official time of the federal government? I hate google, and I pay taxes.

Can someone explain to me what DNSMasq is and how this relates to the DHCP server on the router?

[edit]

It looks like Kong’s builds are no longer hosted here:
https://www.desipro.de/dd-wrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Please tell me someone has a backup so I can at least get running on the latest builds? It’s super sad that Kong is no longer with DD-WRT. I don’t think he knows how much he’s done for everyone
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
tinkeruntilitworks wrote:

are you familiar with unbound? would i want to disable the dhcp or does everything automatically get handed off to unbound when you tick it? would forced redirection be necessary? it wouldn't have a choice would it? feel free to ignore lol
trying to optimize and learn

Not all devices have unbound. I don't own one of them large flash, high-dollar R7000Ps yet. And I'm not entirely sure how unbound factors in, what dhcp server is used on the lan if unbound is the dns proxy, udhcpd? Hmm. I guess I gotta look at things a little deeper.

@FriedChicken, I could probably walk you through dnsmasq and whatnot, if you like.
As far as the other, the top numbers are your wan speed at around 85-90% of what your speedtest results are with QoS off, or if you are directly connected to your modem, whichever it is. You can limit per user bandwidth at the bottom of the page. I just don't mess with QoS on DD-WRT all that much because I don't sit around for hours playing Quake anymore Wink

BTW, http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr is still up last I checked. Plenty of Kong's Broadcom builds going back a ways are still there. Like back to Feb. 2015.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm unless i dont have any other option, i rather use DNSmasq for DNS and DHCP instead of anything else...
all the DNSmasq magic is here http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

i believe, your issues are coming around of using QoS, in conjunction with SFE ( speed accelerator), try disabling it or turn off QoS instead...
Just to let you know, in my case i never used QoS and my R7800 is a main router, to a student accommodation and its full of various clients, so far about lack of bandwidth or speed glitching i never had a single complain ...

To those talking about unbound... 'to work as a stand alone and replace DNSmasq'... i guess this is impossible, as unbound relies on DNSmasq to work or im wrong...or i didnt understand your intentions...
On high grade routers like R7000 and R7800, i've seen unbound as a recursive resolver...and its sluggish and interferes with adblocking and ect...so you have to use the unbound from Entware package, instead for recursive resolver, you can use a stubby, and it delivers DoT, witch i find useful, but this requires Entware, USB and ect. and complicates the set and the update...

Fried Chicken - i hate GGL too, but i dont mind of using it's NTP time, if so you can use any other, just bear in mind, to use IP instead of name...
finally i do have some Kong back up but im not sure if R7000P is using the standard ARM builds or there was a particular one for it...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
tinkeruntilitworks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by tinkeruntilitworks on Mon Nov 18, 2019 22:33; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: