General consensus on switching from Kong to BS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 13:46    Post subject: General consensus on switching from Kong to BS Reply with quote
Now that <Kong> has left DD-WRT, what is the general consensus on switching over to BS builds for the R7800 for a basic (no QOS, VPN or DNS stuff) home router?

Any issues or concerns to be aware of?

I assume a wipe and rebuild of settings is recommended, correct?

Thanks!

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you didn't address is your provision speed from your ISP. If you're going to be running gig speed internet then my suggestion would be to stick to the Kong build because it has lower latency issues than BS builds; and, at that, you should be running his last kernel 3.18 builds because that kernel had much better latency than the newer kernel 4.9 does. If you're not running gig speed and have something like 150 or 200mbps then you'll be fine.

That said, for general home use I would not hesitate to use new brainslayer builds. 41027 has managed to get a lot of the latency issues resolved and it only really matters if you're doing something super critical like competitive gaming where every millisecond of latency matters. For 95%+ of the population it doesn't matter and won't affect you in your day to day use of the internet.I know some of the purest here will complain that things are super bad, but the reality is the difference between Kong builds and brainslayer builds have always been pretty negligible for the average home user who isn't using his extras. The big difference was for the guys that really like to tweak things and use the same packages that kong liked to use. My guess is that you were not using his extra features for day-to-day use. The real big feature of using a kong build in the past was that he always made sure his updates didn't break anything; whereas, brainslayer builds are built for generic cross-platform cross-device use and tend to break things on some routers and not on others. The good news is that brainslayer owns a r7800 and is rather quick to make any fixes for that particular router.

I know that's a pretty convoluted answer but you should have no hesitancy to use the brainslayer builds moving forward.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure that I can say that latency/bufferbloat isue is "resolved" by just running both CPU cores at the highest speed all the time. It's just unhealthy. This "workaround" needs to be reverted ASAP.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
AsX wrote:
Not sure that I can say that latency/bufferbloat isue is "resolved" by just running both CPU cores at the highest speed all the time. It's just unhealthy. This "workaround" needs to be reverted ASAP.

You can revert to "on demand" with this command:
Code:
for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ; done

I have one 7800 running 40270M and one running 41027 today.
I have have been switching back and forth for a couple months now testing new BS builds.

The "ultimate gaming" setup is not necessary for me at all.

Std BS builds work great for me just as does the <Kong>.
It's pretty obvious BS has been working hard on QOS and will probably continue that. And updates are going to keep coming Very Happy Not so much for <Kong>.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
with qos off, bs builds are mostly fine i guess..but wifi throughput is still very bad unless cpu is at max freq.. another k4.x ipq issue luckily that one has an easy workaround

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: