R7800 running Kong fw fiber ISP 1 Gig, slower down speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Poormonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49    Post subject: R7800 running Kong fw fiber ISP 1 Gig, slower down speeds Reply with quote
I recently changed over from Comcast to Metronet fiber. I have 1 Gig service. I am seeing slower then expected download speeds on my r7800 router.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat
Operating mode set to Gateway
Static IP address assigned by Metronet
WiFi run 2.4 ghz(ath1) ssid and 5 ghz (ath0)
Virtual interface ath1.1 guest wifi
SPI Firewall is enabled.
Current bridging table bro STP NO - ath0 ath1 eth1
No VPN or QOS running.
CPU load average 3-4%

Other then these settings the setup is pretty basic.

I have done several speedtest over a 1 week period on dslreports with Hi-Res Bufferbloat enabled, I only see speeds avg between 550-600 mbs. Down and 850-900 mbs up when running on the r7800 router.

I did some investigating and when I hook up the router metronet provided, ZyXEL EMG3425, and do the same speed test I get between 850-920 mbs down and 880-950 mbs up. So, I know that the fiber signal to the fiber modem is all good. It appears that something within the R7800 firmware is slowing down the speeds.

I am not an Ethernet expert by any means and I have tried reading through the forum for the last few nights (many of hours spent) trying to figure out what I can do to improve the down speed. I have tossed in the towel and I am looking if anyone can give me some advice/guidance?

Is there any parameters I need to change with the current firmware? Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of Kong firmware for the R7800 that plays better with the gig ISP? If so, what version of firmware should I go with? Do I use Metronet router and put the R7800 in bridge operation mode?

If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
look at output of "top" command in telnet/ssh when doing a speedtest, tell me the load of sirq.

im assuming this is on ethernet cat 5e or better?
is sfe enabled or disabled?
windows pc? if so is interrupt moderation on or off?

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Poormonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
look at output of "top" command in telnet/ssh when doing a speedtest, tell me the load of sirq.

The highest I saw the sirq was 41.8% during the speedtest.

- I am running Cat5e
- SFE is enabled
- Running test on Windows 10 PC
- Interrupt moderation is Enabled
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Poormonkey wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

The highest I saw the sirq was 41.8% during the speedtest.

- I am running Cat5e
- SFE is enabled
- Running test on Windows 10 PC
- Interrupt moderation is Enabled

Three of those 4 are possible culprits.
You should be using cat6A if possible. Look up CableMatters on amazon...

SFE- At your 1gig speeds...not sure if this will make a difference or not, but I would disable it. Also, you should look at my signature for tips on QoS and setting prioritues. They're from Tatsuya46

Turn off Iterrupt Moderation for you NIC.

Then report back...btw Cat5e should not make a difference but if it's really cheap cable...it's really cheap cable and can impact scores.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
isnt using qos, if it was on it would have no chance for gigabit.

cause qos is off, try the latest BS build.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

So what is the theoretical limit for Q.O.S. right now?
I know Cake is only good to about 200 mbps.... BS just tweaked FQ_Codel to introduce FQ_Codel_Fast... though he buggered it so we need to wait for next official release to test... https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1174049#1174049

I assume HTB is still better tweaked than HFSC which seems to bugger up some routers....

I guess we wait for Kong to release something dd-wrt vs. openwrt.... He hasn't built an R9000 in ages...guess I can PM him and see...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

So what is the theoretical limit for Q.O.S. right now?
I know Cake is only good to about 200 mbps.... BS just tweaked FQ_Codel to introduce FQ_Codel_Fast... though he buggered it so we need to wait for next official release to test... https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1174049#1174049

I assume HTB is still better tweaked than HFSC which seems to bugger up some routers....

I guess we wait for Kong to release something dd-wrt vs. openwrt.... He hasn't built an R9000 in ages...guess I can PM him and see...

with kong build looks like about 500mbps or so with htb fq_codel, with htb pie which is the fastest across all routers, about 550 maybe. with hfsc subtract about 20-60mbps from those. with bs builds dont know, too broken to use. but id guess easily over 100mbps less, and thats with jitter too, not stable

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Poormonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

SFE- At your 1gig speeds...not sure if this will make a difference or not, but I would disable it. Also, you should look at my signature for tips on QoS and setting prioritues. They're from Tatsuya46

Then report back...btw Cat5e should not make a difference but if it's really cheap cable...it's really cheap cable and can impact scores.

I did all of the following and I didn't see any increase in download speeds.

- disabled SFE
- disabled interupt moderation on NIC
- I ran Cat6 cable on the floor from the fiber modem to the r7000 (our house is 13 years old and builder only put cat 5e in the walls Sad )

One thing that did increase the speed was I downloaded the latest RealTek PCIe GbE driver. I am seeing around 820-870 mbs down now after the driver update. My old driver was from 2016 :-0 Windows 10 kept saying I had the latest drive, which apparently I didn't.

Perhaps I will have to deal with the download speeds I am seeing now for awhile, until I have some time to try perhaps BS build.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Poormonkey wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

I did all of the following and I didn't see any increase in download speeds.

- disabled SFE
- disabled interupt moderation on NIC
- I ran Cat6 cable on the floor from the fiber modem to the r7000 (our house is 13 years old and builder only put cat 5e in the walls Sad )

One thing that did increase the speed was I downloaded the latest RealTek PCIe GbE driver. I am seeing around 820-870 mbs down now after the driver update. My old driver was from 2016 :-0 Windows 10 kept saying I had the latest drive, which apparently I didn't.

Perhaps I will have to deal with the download speeds I am seeing now for awhile, until I have some time to try perhaps BS build.

I'm going to have to say you're not going to be able to eek out much more from a NIC built into the mobo....shared resources and all, plus not the best/efficient driver stack. Very CPU dependant....I would say you should be pretty pleased with the results 870/940= 92.5% of possible speed... share some more info about your network card properties and what parameters you can edit under the "advanced" tab of you NIC properties. Also what's the CPU/Mobo?

the best place to find the latest drivers is station drivers:
http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&view=containers&id=5&sort_order=0&Itemid=353&lang=en

[R7800] resting
Poormonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

I'm going to have to say you're not going to be able to eek out much more from a NIC built into the mobo....shared resources and all, plus not the best/efficient driver stack. Very CPU dependant....I would say you should be pretty pleased with the results 870/940= 92.5% of possible speed... share some more info about your network card properties and what parameters you can edit under the "advanced" tab of you NIC properties. Also what's the CPU/Mobo?

http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&view=containers&id=5&sort_order=0&Itemid=353&lang=en

You are correct, I am pretty happy with the results of where it is at now.

PC doing all the testing is Dell XPS I7-3770 CPU 3.4GHZ Win 10 64 bit NIC Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller (I haven't been able to find out the exact NIC adapter that is built in) I use this computer for running BlueIris and Acronis for automatic backups.

Network card parameters I can adjust:
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Poormonkey wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

You are correct, I am pretty happy with the results of where it is at now.

PC doing all the testing is Dell XPS I7-3770 CPU 3.4GHZ Win 10 64 bit NIC Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller (I haven't been able to find out the exact NIC adapter that is built in) I use this computer for running BlueIris and Acronis for automatic backups.

Network card parameters I can adjust:

For a 6+yr old PC, you're doing good on speeds...You might be able to tweak a few things and slightly gain...but I doubt anything will change much- From hours of playing with the settings below.... but it's still best to change to the values I recommend below...

For Advanced NIC settings- Firstly- anything that is power management or "green" or Wake....disable it all....we want the NIC to be fully on and running balls to the wall....screw energy saving on a desktop.... Unless you use W.o.L...then keep things alive

ARP Offload- Disabled
Auto Disable gigabit- disabled or off
Flow Control- I have yet to find evidence this setting matters, but turn on RX&TX...
Interupt Moderation- Turn it off
IPV4 Offload- RX&TX ON
Jumbo Frame/Packet- Off (only use this in a controlled env)
Both LSO- Enabled
Rss queues- Choose 2, if available.
NS offload- leave alone/default
Priority & Vlan- disable all
Receive buffers- See what the max is for your NIC and set at 50% of max. I have yet to find evidence this impact bufferbloat.
RSS- set to enabled
Speed & Duplex- auto
Both TCP Checksum Offload- RX&TX enabled
Transmit buffers- Same rule as receive buffers above
Both UDP offload- RX&TX enabled

[R7800] resting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: