VLAN tagging on WAN port with PPPoE, Netgear Nighthawk R7800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Channel11.5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 23:34    Post subject: VLAN tagging on WAN port with PPPoE, Netgear Nighthawk R7800 Reply with quote
After updating to CenturyLink Fiber, I went down the rabbit hole trying to figure out how to get my own dd-wrt router directly connected to their ONT. This required tagging the WAN traffic with vlan id 201, and performing PPPoE to authenticate.

After not being able to figure it out from the web UI or help pages, I went to the forum and read a multitude of posts. Most of the posts were quite old and had large listings of commands to run. Thinking there must be a better way, I persevered to figure out the simplest method and share in case it's helpful:

1) Setup->Networking->VLAN Tagging, Add a VLAN interface for the WAN port with Tag Number 201. On my router 'eth0' is the WAN port and applying this configuration creates an 'eth0.201' port.

2) Setup->Networking->Port Setup, Select 'eth0.201' for the WAN Port Assignment. You may need to refresh the page until the 'eth0.201' port shows up.

I thought I'd be all set at this point. It took a lot of digging to find the last step:

3)
Code:
nvram set pppoe_wan_ifname=eth0.201

This must be run on the console (I did so via SSH login), as I found no UI setting for this.

Netgear Nighthawk R7800
DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat (07/11/19)
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R7800 is a single-band 802.1g router? I don' think there's a vlan0 ....
Channel11.5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R7800 is "802.11ac Dual Band Quad Stream Gigabit":

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct. The default included vlans in DD-WRT for dual-band N and AC routers are vlan1 and vlan2. Vlan0 only applies to single-band B and G routers.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Default_internal_device_networks

Your WAN vlan is 2, and that is what is throwing me by the pictures in your OP.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312045

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is an easy way:

swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set vid 201
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "0t 5"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

Put it in the startup script. Keep WAN on default VLAN2
Channel11.5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Your WAN vlan is 2, and that is what is throwing me by the pictures in your OP.

The VLAN is exactly as is shown in screen shot. Either the UI is displaying the wrong value or you are mistaken, but that is a screen shot after doing the steps I described on a dd-wrt after a fresh reset.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
There is an easy way:

swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set vid 201
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "0t 5"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

The WAN will still be on eth0. There will not be any eth0.201 interface.
4Scarrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 14:57    Post subject: Re: VLAN tagging on WAN port with PPPoE, Netgear Nighthawk R Reply with quote
Channel11.5 wrote:
After updating to CenturyLink Fiber, I went down the rabbit hole trying to figure out how to get my own dd-wrt router directly connected to their ONT. This required tagging the WAN traffic with vlan id 201, and performing PPPoE to authenticate.

After not being able to figure it out from the web UI or help pages, I went to the forum and read a multitude of posts. Most of the posts were quite old and had large listings of commands to run. Thinking there must be a better way, I persevered to figure out the simplest method and share in case it's helpful:

1) Setup->Networking->VLAN Tagging, Add a VLAN interface for the WAN port with Tag Number 201. On my router 'eth0' is the WAN port and applying this configuration creates an 'eth0.201' port.

2) Setup->Networking->Port Setup, Select 'eth0.201' for the WAN Port Assignment. You may need to refresh the page until the 'eth0.201' port shows up.

I thought I'd be all set at this point. It took a lot of digging to find the last step:

3)
Code:

This must be run on the console (I did so via SSH login), as I found no UI setting for this.

Netgear Nighthawk R7800

I tried this and couldn't get PPoE to connect. I found you can run commands in Administration-> commands. Totally stumped on this.
whozurdaddyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Re: VLAN tagging on WAN port with PPPoE, Netgear Nighthawk R Reply with quote
Channel11.5 wrote:

3)
Code:

Netgear Nighthawk R7800

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Channel11.5. I too started down the rabbit hole and luckily during my search I found your thread. These instructions worked for me perfectly. CenturyLink 1 gig service, R7800, and DD-WRT v3.0-r42054 std (01/21/20) firmware.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dmk2003
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 21:47    Post subject: Re: VLAN tagging on WAN port with PPPoE, Netgear Nighthawk R Reply with quote
Hi Channel11.5,
thank you for your post. I found it searching for a solution to a similiar setup from my fiber provider (vlan-id 13 for me). I tried following your instructions, but it did not work. However, i then took a deep look at the Switched Ports Article, especially the "802.1q VLAN trunking" example and implemented the following (beeing on a device with cpu port 5 and wan port 0, the article helps you figure that out):
Code:

nvram set vlan13ports="0t 5"
nvram set vlan13hwname="et0"

The port0vlans variable i augmented with "13 16" (13 for vlan-id 13 and 16 to enable tagging)
The port5vlans variable i augmented with "13" for the vlan-id 13 it is part of now, so that the cpu sees the vlan.

I left the wan interface unchanged (i think it was vlan2) but added
Code:

nvram set pppoe_wan_ifname=vlan13

Now, after setting the vlan13 up on the WAN port with the steps above and explicitly setting the pppoe-wan-device to vlan13 from the cmdline, the pppoe configuration in the gui did work.

Hope this helps someone.

Best regards,
dmk

Channel11.5 wrote:

3)
Code:

Netgear Nighthawk R7800
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is an old thread and no longer valid.
With the current firmware you only need to create a VLAN tag for eth0 in the tab "Networking" and use the VLAN as WAN port (WAN port assignment).
ian611
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:22    Post subject: Help with DDWRT for DIR890l Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
With the current firmware you only need to create a VLAN tag for eth0 in the tab "Networking" and use the VLAN as WAN port (WAN port assignment).

Hey bud, I am trying to set this up like you said for vlan id 35 for WAN.
I first go to switch tab and leave everything the way it is and just click check mark on tagged for WAN. it's under vlan 2 at this time.

Then go to networking tab, I add etho with tag 35 for tagging.

After that I got to WAN port assignment set that to eth0.35

I am unsure what I am doing wrong anymore. Tried different firmware and nothing.[/img]
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry the thread is about the R7800 (Atheros)and PPPoE
Your DIR890l is a completely different router and Broadcom based (so wrong forum) and the DIR probably also has a different switch configuration than the R7800
Some routers have a VLAN based configuration out of the box (unlike the R7800)

(don't know, I don't know the router)

Anyway if you tag VLAN 2 on the switch then the switch also has a tagged VLAN2

I didn't write anything about the tab "switch config"... you shouldn't use it on the R7800 - "switch config" is not really functional on the R7800 and if you pressed 1x Save in the tab you can only restore the default configuration by a reset.

I would recommend you to ask your question again in the Broadcom forum.

however there are basically 3 ways to assign a custom VLAN tag to the WAN port.

1. networking tab
2. switch config tab (if the tab on the router is working correctly)
3. swconfig command line

So 1 or 2 or 3 but no mix of the different variants (I think this is the first problem you have)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
To answer the OP again.
If you use a current firmware build on the R7800. (that is >r49873)

Then the following settings are sufficient to add a PPPoE VLAN tag.
Boassss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

Hello.

Im about to install dd-wrt on my netgear r9000.
My ISP works with PPPoE and VLAN20.
Could i follow your words? Will they work on my router?
I have read a lot of threads about it but all of them are very old so im too confused.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for your help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: