This site can't be reached

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45    Post subject: This site can't be reached Reply with quote
WRT54GV8 Serial #CDFG1G813349 FCC#Q87-WRT54G8 used the bin file on the page for my router after the vxworkskillerGv8-v3 bin file and all went well I got to the webgui where I was asked to change my password. Webgui info Firmware:dd-wrt v24-sp2(08/12/10)micro I am attempting to use this as client bridge and set this up to wirelessly connect to the primary router. Initially I used the Youtube video and got 'This site can't be reached'. Hard reset 30-30-30 to get back to webgui and tried again to set parameters as instructed on the 'Client Bridged' dd-wrt page and when finished watched the page come up where you have the progress bar and you are waiting for the changes to take effect and then same thing I set my browser to the secondary router's address and get 'This site can't be reached'. So close to having it work. My primary router IP Address has the bullet on 'Get Dynamically from ISP' could that be screwing with me? I used the address info in the 'Use Static IP Address' field is that how I'm screwing this up?

Primaryrouter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.23 KB
 Viewed:  6132 Time(s)

Primaryrouter.jpg

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the 14929 build thread from 2010:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=474282#474282

You should consider upgrading to at least 33772 for KRACK vulnerability fixes, but that is entirely up to you. Someone may chime in on what is the newest/latest known good build for the WRT54s.
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would you guess it might solve my inability to see the secondary router after configuration? Or no way to know unless I try?
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading through the posts on your link, it seems they have a working device and the build is an improvement. Mine is not even working yet.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you read the linked thread post and what it said about "save" and "apply" ... I'm sure you followed the wiki to the letter:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Are you sure you are configuring bridged mode and not just client mode? You can only see other computers in bridged mode.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
And why would you be connecting to the WAN of the primary router with your browser??
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, selected 'Save' then 'Apply' as instructed.

Yes, 'Client Bridge' selected under Basic Settings page, 'Wireless Mode'.

The instructions on 'Client Bridged' page say to match the primary router settings so had a computer with wifi to see the primary router. Not the computer I had connected to the WRT54GV8 router. I have once again performed a hard reset 30-30-30 and I'm at the dd-wrt GUI asking I change my username and password. I was gonna look and see if I can select 'Get Dynamically From ISP' like my primary router has selected.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use DHCP on the WAN side or LAN side in Client Bridge mode per the wiki....
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you kernel-panic69 was going to give up and you pushed.
OK, I have finally logged into the WRT54GV8 after inputting all the info. My mistake was looking at the IP address on my primary router and seeing 192.168.88.254 and trying to work with that. This last time I used what the Client Bridged page said as a suggested router Local IP address 192.168.1.6 and Gateway IP as 192.168.1.1 and it worked. So I was creating my own issue by using the address I saw on my primary. So many hours on this...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome for the help. Glad you got it figured out Very Happy Cool
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
perfomed steps 21 thru 27 and waited to see if I could get internet and it shows up as an unidentified network on my laptop computer I have been using to do this. I guess I will do a hard reset and retry inputting everything and see if I get it functional on the next try.

Finalsteps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.71 KB
 Viewed:  6026 Time(s)

Finalsteps.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this showing up under ethernet? You won't be able to use wi-fi on your WRT54 without creating a virtual wireless interface (Guest Wi-Fi). It's probably one of those wonderful Windows things that i love to hate Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing
groovyfingers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG IT'S WORKING!!! Very Happy I'm pretty slow on the uptake, hours and hours of my own making trying to see this through and finally I have an internet connection!!! Holy fuck I am one happy camper! I'll see how this works and maybe consider a different build later. No gaming with this it's for a smog machine that needs an internet connection so not a massive amount of info passing on this connection. If it's reliable probably leave well enough alone. Thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to hear. Sometimes, two brains or two sets of eyes helps Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: