Help needed. cfe.bin for DIR-895L router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
yeek
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 19:23    Post subject: Help needed. cfe.bin for DIR-895L router Reply with quote
I bricked my DIR-895L. Hope someone can make a backup "CFE.BIN" of DIR-895L and share and I can JTAG my router to fix it. Really appreciate!!!

The router was stuck in boot loop. I managed to connect thru serial cable, and run "nvram erase" and tried flash different firmwares thru tftp. Could not fix it.

The router has 4 different flashes, I tried flash each of them, but could not fix the boot loop. Eventually I accidentally flashed "flash0", overwrote the cfe partition, the router became total brick. There is no display on serial window. And router stuck with a solid white LED light.

Things I tried before brick the routers:
nvram erase && reboot
nvram erase && nvram erase && nvram erase && reboot

flash -noheader 192.168.0.2:firm.bin flash0.trx
nvram erase && reboot

flash -noheader 192.168.0.2:firm.bin flash1.trx
nvram erase && reboot

flash -noheader 192.168.0.2:firm.bin nflash0.trx
nvram erase && reboot

flash -noheader 192.168.0.2:firm.bin nflash1.trx
nvram erase && reboot

And finally this below command bricked the router:
flash -noheader 192.168.0.2:115-firm.bin flash0

If you happen to have a DIR-895L router runs DD-WRT firmware, please kindly made a backup of the cfe.bin bootloader file and share with me. The cfe.bin can be backup thru the web gui: http://{router IP address}/backup/cfe.bin

Thanks a million!!!!


Last edited by yeek on Mon Aug 12, 2019 15:20; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
ksmreddy
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 09 Aug 2019
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03    Post subject: Help needed. cfe.bin for DIR-895L router Reply with quote
Hi,

Please help me how I can backup CFE.BIN?
I can share a copy if I can backup.

You seem to have some experience in the subject. May be you could also help with the below:

I have one D-Link DIR-895L A2 model.
I have a different problem.
I previously had the v1.13b stock FW. I successfully flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.bin and the to dir895-webflash-bin of v3.0 Build 40559.

Everything seemed to be working fine for about 5-6 hrs. Router rebooted due to some config changes while enabling more functionality and from this point router wont boot DD-WRT firmware. Installing stock FW from the Recovery Boot menu works fine.

Uploading the DD-WRT FW either from stock FW GUI or from Recovery Boot menu shows upload successful but wont boot into DD-WRT and reverts back to Recovery Boot.

I am able to upgrade and also revert to older versions of the stock FW, with no hassles at all.

I am now stuck with the stock FW only and NO way to load the DD-WRT FW.

Please let me know if there is any way to successfully boot DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-895L A2.
yeek
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21    Post subject: Re: Help needed. cfe.bin for DIR-895L router Reply with quote
ksmreddy wrote:
Hi,

Please help me how I can backup CFE.BIN?
I can share a copy if I can backup.

You seem to have some experience in the subject. May be you could also help with the below:

I have one D-Link DIR-895L A2 model.
I have a different problem.
I previously had the v1.13b stock FW. I successfully flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.bin and the to dir895-webflash-bin of v3.0 Build 40559.

Everything seemed to be working fine for about 5-6 hrs. Router rebooted due to some config changes while enabling more functionality and from this point router wont boot DD-WRT firmware. Installing stock FW from the Recovery Boot menu works fine.

Uploading the DD-WRT FW either from stock FW GUI or from Recovery Boot menu shows upload successful but wont boot into DD-WRT and reverts back to Recovery Boot.

I am able to upgrade and also revert to older versions of the stock FW, with no hassles at all.

I am now stuck with the stock FW only and NO way to load the DD-WRT FW.

Please let me know if there is any way to successfully boot DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-895L A2.


Thank you very much,

Sorry I didn't read you post in detail when I replied on my phone.

For D-LINK DIR-895L, if you are on firmware 1.13, I believe you need to first upgrade to their Intermediary/Transitional firmware (1.15) before you can upgrade to any later version of firmwares like 1.20 or 1.25.

DD-WRT build 40559 is very new, likely it's using kernel of from D-LINK 1.25, I assume you have to upgrade your router to 1.15 first. Before you can install the latest DD-WRT firmware from D-LINK's emergency recovery GUI.

Hope this work for you.

Thanks again for willing to take the effort to share your cfe.bin backup.



Thanks a million,


Last edited by yeek on Mon Aug 12, 2019 15:50; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google would've saved you both a ton of headache.
yeek
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Google would've saved you both a ton of headache.


Unfortunately google could not save me this time, I am putting my last hope on DD-WRT forum before I through away the brick.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, what I meant was, had you googled the correct firmware, you wouldn't have bricked. I can't seem to find a bootloader anywhere for that one. Shocked

Not sure if either of these apply, I am looking up information on un-bricking on the fly here.

https://klseet.com/242-tomato/tomato-d-link/338-d-link-dir-868l-a1-brick-unbrick-rescue

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72693.0
yeek
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information.

I actually did try every single version of firmware I could find before I broke the cfe boot loader. Official firmware from version 1.02 all the way to 1.25. And DD-WRT build 36247 to 40559 both factory-to-ddwrt and webflash. With official firmware, it always was complains "Invalid Boot Block on disk" and then repeats rebooting. With DD-WRT firmware, it will just stuck on loading with an orange LED.

Also tried to do "nvram erase" with every firmware I flashed, but didn't help. After many different attempts flashing different flash partitions, I was less careful and end up hard-bricking the router Smile

I will still try to fix the router if I can get a copy of cfe.bin backup (I WAS STUPID NOT TO DO IT WHEN I HAD CHANCE). Now I have bought another 2 ASUS routers, fixing the DIR-895L is more for fun and experiment purpose.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
No, what I meant was, had you googled the correct firmware, you wouldn't have bricked. I can't seem to find a bootloader anywhere for that one. Shocked

Not sure if either of these apply, I am looking up information on un-bricking on the fly here.

https://klseet.com/242-tomato/tomato-d-link/338-d-link-dir-868l-a1-brick-unbrick-rescue

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72693.0
deslatha
DD-WRT User


Joined: 12 Jul 2016
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeek wrote:
Thanks for the information.

I actually did try every single version of firmware I could find before I broke the cfe boot loader. Official firmware from version 1.02 all the way to 1.25. And DD-WRT build 36247 to 40559 both factory-to-ddwrt and webflash. With official firmware, it always was complains "Invalid Boot Block on disk" and then repeats rebooting. With DD-WRT firmware, it will just stuck on loading with an orange LED.

Also tried to do "nvram erase" with every firmware I flashed, but didn't help. After many different attempts flashing different flash partitions, I was less careful and end up hard-bricking the router Smile

I will still try to fix the router if I can get a copy of cfe.bin backup (I WAS STUPID NOT TO DO IT WHEN I HAD CHANCE). Now I have bought another 2 ASUS routers, fixing the DIR-895L is more for fun and experiment purpose.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
No, what I meant was, had you googled the correct firmware, you wouldn't have bricked. I can't seem to find a bootloader anywhere for that one. Shocked

Not sure if either of these apply, I am looking up information on un-bricking on the fly here.

https://klseet.com/242-tomato/tomato-d-link/338-d-link-dir-868l-a1-brick-unbrick-rescue

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=72693.0


well, as last chance, you can load cfe from RT-AC3200 with hardware compatible with dlink 895L. since cfe was mess, you may need opening router. According to pcb board there is 25l256=256mb=32MB. if you take off, there may be 8 pin leading internal SOIC. good luck.



Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 1.40.09 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.38 KB
 Viewed:  2620 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 1.40.09 PM.png


Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User


Joined: 19 Sep 2015
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:


well, as last chance, you can load cfe from RT-AC3200 with hardware compatible with dlink 895L. since cfe was mess, you may need opening router. According to pcb board there is 25l256=256mb=32MB. if you take off, there may be 8 pin leading internal SOIC. good luck.

DIR-895L is NOT compatible with any AC3200. It's not the same hardware at all. The 895L is closer to (but not the same as) RT-AC5300.

_________________

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:
DIR-895L is NOT compatible with any AC3200. It's not the same hardware at all. The 895L is closer to (but not the same as) RT-AC5300.


Almost identical, except maybe for the flash chip capacities. I usually ignore deslatha because I can't understand his bad english, anyway. If WikiDevi is correct:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-895L_rev_A1

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC3200

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC5300

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R8500

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-885L_rev_A1 <-- closest match
yeek
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:
DIR-895L is NOT compatible with any AC3200. It's not the same hardware at all. The 895L is closer to (but not the same as) RT-AC5300.


Almost identical, except maybe for the flash chip capacities. I usually ignore deslatha because I can't understand his bad english, anyway. If WikiDevi is correct:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-895L_rev_A1

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC3200

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC5300

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R8500

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-885L_rev_A1 <-- closest match


Thanks for the info, I try to find find a cfe.bin backup from one of these routers.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum