WT3200ACM - Configuring VLANS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
mvdm85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00    Post subject: WT3200ACM - Configuring VLANS Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm a newby to dd-WRT so please bare with me. I have a WRT3200ACM and I have just flashed it with build 40559.

The background of this is that I have replaced my provider's router with the WRT3200ACM because it was unreliable (Some devices stop working at random, and only way to solve is to cycle power) and the WiFi signal was horrible. I managed to get the WRT3200 configured with the Linksys firmware to provide internet and TV. However some of the TV box's features won't work because of lack of IGMP snooping on the Linksys firmware. I have attached some pictures of my configuration on the Linksys Firmware.

I'm sorry but I just can't figure out how to produce the following configuration on dd-WRT:
WAN Protocol: MAC Encapsulated Routing
WAN1 1p/VLAN ID: 1/34
WAN3 1p/VLAN ID: 5/4
PPPoE passthrough function: Enable
IGMP Snooping: Enable

When I try to do it on the web interface I seem to loose all communication with the router at some stage to the point where I have had to factory reset it several times now. Also Setup > Switch Config (###.###.###.###/Vlan.asp) seems to disappear somewhere along the setup and I don't understand why.

I'm now trying to do it via telnet, but I guess when I'm searching I somehow keep coming across different builds/devices and I just can't get any command to work properly because some commands seem to not exist or are invalid, some paths don't exist and I don't understand this system well enough to really know what I'm doing.

Can someone please point me in the right direction where to start?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in no position to get into the weeds with you here, but by way of general advice, you really need to go slowly with dd-wrt and get one thing working and tested at a time. You can't just click on thirty things and expect everything to work all at once. Start with the simple stuff. Be patient. Getting a complicated setup up and working is not a one-afternoon project.

Of note: vlans are generally not among the simple features. The vlan page you found is quite new to dd-wrt, and no one really knows yet whether it's useful or even compatible with our Linksys/Marvell routers. What is known to work is the approach of the link in my signature below. But do that last. And carefully.

I did notice that you had MAC cloning enabled but without specifying what MAC address to use. If this is not just a typo (clicko?), it sure makes one think that it's best not try to use features you don't understand.

Pictures of Linksys config pages are not going to be particularly interesting to the dd-wrt crowd.

Have you been through the Cliff Notes sticky at the beginning of the Marvell forum along with the links it points to? I'm not trying to be discouraging, but you really aren't going to get a lot of volunteers stepping up to help if you seem to be asking for others to configure your system for you with all the features you want. A lot of these folks are going to want to see evidence that you've done your homework and know the basics already.

Good luck to you...

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
mvdm85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I have been at it all day, trying to make heads and tails of it. I understand that maybe I need to do something easier. But without at least configuring the VLAN 34/1 I cannot access the internet with this router, which pretty much makes it a paper weight.

The basic things I can do and wanted to do I have done already. Configure the DHCP server, setting the host name, configuring the Wi-Fi, configuring the login. But I have not been able to make the router do what it was primarily intended to do, which is to be a gateway to the internet.

The reason I posted the pictures of the Linksys configuration is to show that I have been able to configure that my self at the very least, and that I have some clue of what is going on. I believe that that is better than just posting the required settings and saying that I want to get there. I also think that it shows that I was able to make it work with the provider network.

So far I have figured out how to telnet to the router. I have attempted to configure the internet VLAN by following what posts I could find on this forum but I could so far only find information about performing the NVRAM settings. As far as I understand this only relates to the Broadcom chipsets, but this router has a Marvell chipset. From what I read so far I see I'm supposed to make use of swconfig. But I have yet to find a decent article which explains how to do that, I haven't given up looking yet, but it takes a long time not knowing what I'm looking for.

I made use of MAC cloning to clone my existing router MAC address. I erased it because I didn't want to publish my router's WAN port MAC address.

Everything I have tried to do on to get VLAN34/1 to work so that I can at least get internet has caused the router to be uncontactable via the web interface and telent, which has resulted in me having to factory reset the router.

All I asked for initially is just to be pointed in the right direction, not for someone to do this for me. Would you kindly do that and tell me where to start?

Thanks in advance.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set vid 34
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317199
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi mvdm85... yes, you certainly have given it a go. I don't follow enough of what you need to be much specific help though.

Per... It seems I have had the wrong VLAN link in my signature for awhile! Not sure how that happened, but thanks for rattling my cage a bit. Fixed now.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
mvdm85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Per Yngve Berg & SurprisedItWorks,

Thank you for your pointers. They helped me to understand a bit better how the system works. Although I was unable to get the CLI to make my internet work at all, I somehow managed to use the Web Interface to get it to work. I have been pulling out my hair earlier this morning trying to make it work. Being connected via Wi-Fi to configure the VLANS was a great pointer. I now understand why I had to continuously factory reset my router. I finally decided to try the Web Interface again after restoring dd-wrt again because my WRT3200ACM somehow automatically reverted to the stock firmware. Rolling Eyes

I'm still trying to understand exactly what I did to make the internet work then I have to apply the same settings to make the IPTV work. Then I'll post my findings here once I do. I think I have extra things configured under the network tab that I don't need.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: