RT-AC5300 router LED showing red, not white

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
greenrocks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:02    Post subject: RT-AC5300 router LED showing red, not white Reply with quote
On router, first 3 leds show white, only one showed red on 4th (under icon global earth = Internet) however the internet is clearly working. Connected to Wi-Fi and ethernet, Internet is good, no problem. Tested on tablet, iphone and desktop. Can access the router settings (DD-WRT webgui) via Wi-Fi and ethernet.

Why am I able to acess the router settings on 2 ip addresses? 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1

Before I flashed DD-WRT, it was just 192.168.2.1 only. 192.168.1.1 was the router's IP.
192.168.2.1 was the gatway for router behind AT&T U-verse 192.168.1.254

Under Advanced Routing tab,
Operating Mode is set to Gateway. When I tried to set it to router, I didn't get internet. So I'm afraid to do this again?

I already did soft reboot (2 minutes, then wait few minutes until the computer reconnected and the internet is working but the red led is still there, it's annoying me!

Here is the snapshot.
Is there something I am configuring wrong? Please let me know, thanks!

? mark - is that right? I'm unsure.

Inkedasus-ac5300-led_LI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  701.77 KB
 Viewed:  11918 Time(s)

Inkedasus-ac5300-led_LI.jpg

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.5 KB
 Viewed:  11920 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not know about the lights maybe someone with your router knows, it could just be that it is a quirk of DDWRT Smile.

Gateway and Local DNS should be kept at its default 0.0.0.0

You can get to your router via its WAN address (192.168.1.1) and of course via its Local IP address (192.168.2.1)

That is normal as NAT loopback is on by default

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sucks that no one answered you. I have this also and was searching for the reason I am having drops on my 2.4ghz channel. I also loose the WAN ip sometimes. WHat version of DDWRT do you have? I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M kongac (06/08/19)

This version really is wacky and I need better 2.4ghz so I am looking for a more stable version.
greenrocks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
madhits45 wrote:
It sucks that no one answered you. I have this also and was searching for the reason I am having drops on my 2.4ghz channel. I also loose the WAN ip sometimes. WHat version of DDWRT do you have? I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M kongac (06/08/19)

This version really is wacky and I need better 2.4ghz so I am looking for a more stable version.

Ah, I should mention firmware version.

I am using the latest from DD-WRT database...
- DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'm now on that version and it has the same issues. So Im looking for an older more stable release. This router is amazing but without a good version of DDWRT it really sucks
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 16:23    Post subject: Re: RT-AC5300 router LED showing red, not white Reply with quote
greenrocks wrote:
Operating Mode is set to Gateway. When I tried to set it to router, I didn't get internet.

When you set it to "router", you turn off NAT. As the U-verse router does not know where network 192.168.2.0/24 is located, you get no response back from Internet. In this case a static route is needed on the U-verse

Route to 192.168.2.0/24 gateway 192.168.1.1
tbrautaset
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Re: RT-AC5300 router LED showing red, not white Reply with quote
greenrocks wrote:
On router, first 3 leds show white, only one showed red on 4th (under icon global earth = Internet) however the internet is clearly working. Connected to Wi-Fi and ethernet, Internet is good, no problem. Tested on tablet, iphone and desktop. Can access the router settings (DD-WRT webgui) via Wi-Fi and ethernet.

Why am I able to acess the router settings on 2 ip addresses? 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1

Before I flashed DD-WRT, it was just 192.168.2.1 only. 192.168.1.1 was the router's IP.
192.168.2.1 was the gatway for router behind AT&T U-verse 192.168.1.254

Operating Mode is set to Gateway. When I tried to set it to router, I didn't get internet. So I'm afraid to do this again?

I already did soft reboot (2 minutes, then wait few minutes until the computer reconnected and the internet is working but the red led is still there, it's annoying me!

Here is the snapshot.
Is there something I am configuring wrong? Please let me know, thanks!

? mark - is that right? I'm unsure.

For red LED, try pasting: gpio disable 5 in your startup script and reboot

ASUS Tri-Band Gigabit (RT-AC5300 H/W Ver R1.31 & F/W Ver 384), BCM4709C0_1.4 GHz ARM® Cortex™-A9 dual-core, 512MB of DDR 3 RAM,
128MiB of flash storage, and 128kB nvram. Eight detachable antennas, (4T4R) MU-MIMO
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its GPIO 4, not 5. EIther way that does not address the 2.4ghz issues and pppoe connection issues. Is there a fix for either of those problems? the red led issue is a symptom of a bigger problem as I see it.

UPDATE: Let me add some additional details here. Ive noticed some particularly interesting issues.

1. on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz some of the devices are actually causing a crash, its not just 2.4ghz going down, its also 5ghz with these clients. I'm not sure why these clients would cause this issue, as some are LOT devices. I have 2 client bridges setup on my network and 1 creates a second guest network. When I connect to that network it seems that the 2.4 & 5 networks stay up and it does not cause the router to crash. I have yet to try this for an extended period. It may not be these clients and it maybe that the router is getting overwhelmed or something. I'm going to reset and redo all settings again and see what that does. Kong only has 2 builds I can get to it seems. Thats 40270m & 39960m. It seems his page does not link to older versions like brainslayers. Ive never had issues with kong builds before so honestly this is a shock to me. Ive got his builds on both my R7000 and my WRT1900ACS has another kong build and both are really stable. Any suggestions, would a log help?

Update 2. THis topics talks about the same issue: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1165888

Not sure why im seeing it in newer versions of kong though?

Last edited by madhits45 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 20:06; edited 1 time in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
A client bridge shall only be configured at one band, not on 2.4 and 5 Ghz simultaneously. That will cause a bridge loop.
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
A client bridge shall only be configured at one band, not on 2.4 and 5 Ghz simultaneously. That will cause a bridge loop.

Yeah I have a client bridge only using 5ghz, I try to have all my devices go through 2.4 and keep 5 ghz for the client pcs that have wired to the bridges so they get best throughput. I do have a 2.4ghz separate SSID that I use for guests, are you saying that will cause a bridge loop? This issue with 2.4ghz happens when I directly connect, when I go through the 2.4 ssid from my client bridge I dont have the issue, which indicates to me its just a few LOT clients & 2 PC's & there wifi cards that cause the router to crash somehow.

THis topic references the same issue it seems: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1165888
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn off MU-MIMO in wifi configuration.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Turn off MU-MIMO in wifi configuration.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

I don't see this in the config, does it go by another name? Is it WMM Support? Is it Explicit Beamforming
& Implicit Beamforming

I was using explicit beamforming.. so I now turned that off. Ill see if its better now..
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
same results with beamforming turned off. THis is so frustrating.
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to post an update to this topic after I believe I figured out the issue with this router. I went over to look at a guide for merlin best settings for the AC5300. See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac5300-performance-security-guide.45710/

I went to look at the wireless settings and made some of the changes listed below. I think changing to preamble short, and or disabling WMM support seemed to make the difference. I dont know which. Im still testing to see if the router crashes around 5-7pm which it seems to do daily.

Wireless
Smart Connect Enabled - Actually Pretty Good With Some Minor Tweak's
I usually only use my 5GHz network for band as all my client's are AC client's and my apartment is covered with a signal throughout. So, I disable my 2.4GHz band, using it only for AP Isolation and older device's or security cam's
Hide SSID, up to you, will stop a casual user, but your SSID is broadcasted in plain text in your wireless packet's, so if someone used a sniffer, Hiding your SSID wouldn't stop them.
Authentication Method - WPA2 Personal
set a strong Wireless password
The other setting's can be set to auto
Protected Management Frames - Capable (protects against dissociation attacks) *note however that required broke IoT devices, only smartphone, Console, and PC responded; on capable the smart TV and IP cam finally connected
In Wireless MAC Filter, will be up to you to use it or not, spoofing MAC's are trivial today
In the Professional Tab - We will change a couple of the default's the rest are ok

For the 2.4GHz professional setting's
enable radio, my personal say is no if you don't have old client's or don't need the distance
enable wireless scheduler, again depends on you. But, if your radio's aren't broadcasting, then their is no WI-FI to hack
Multicast Rate - choose OFDM 6 (good low settings for VoIP, adjust higher if experiencing issues)
Preamble Type - choose Short... choose long slower and older devices)
Beacon Interval - set to 1000 - decreases the amount of times a client receives the wireless beacon
DTIM Interval - 3 or below, set higher for better performance if you have a strong router, otherwise it may crash.
TX Burst - if higher than 4 device's disable, can cause network lag
WMM APSD - disable if your mobile devices experience disconnect or crashes, otherwise leave enabled
Optimize AMPDU Aggregation - Enable: High error environment or multiple devices. Slower performance.
Disable: Low error environment with less devices. Faster performance.
Airtime Fairness - disable, enable only for older devices
MU-MIMO - disable if your client's don't support this feature, otherwise keep enabled
Universal Beamforming - disable was made before explicit beamforming. use this instead
Explicit Beamforming - all AC enabled devices support this feature, disable if you don't have AC client's
Modulation Scheme is set to their highest MCS 11
TX Power Adjustment - Slide to Performance
IGMP Snooping - Disabled
AP Isloation - Yes or no depending on your need's

For the 5GHz professional setting's
Everything the same as above
Note Explict Beamforming will be 802.11ac beamforming in the 5GHz setting's
leave other default's alone

In the WPS Tab - disable this on all radio band's, I only needed this once due to having a 64 character password, and my smart TV wouldn't connect until I added it via WPS, which I immediately turned off after the Smart TV connected
madhits45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 18:13    Post subject: Further update. Reply with quote
I had the 2.4gh channel drop off again last night after making these changes, but the whole router did not go down like it did before and its been a lot more stable overall. So I am going to give it another night and see if 2.4ghz dies tonight. I have also heard this router suffers from overheating so I got better airflow to it which maybe the issue.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: