How do I configure dd-wrt to work with pihole

stx10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 19:45    Post subject: How do I configure dd-wrt to work with pihole Reply with quote
Hello,

I am not an experienced user at all. and I would like to get the pihole to work on my network.

I have the following network setup:

Modem-->DD-WRT Router--> Wireless Clients
|
--> Pihole ( wired into DD-wrt)

DHCP server: enabled

router IP address is 192.168.11.11

Static DNS1: 192.168.11.75 ( this is the pihole ip address)

Static DNS2: 9.9.9.9

Static DNS3: 1.1.1.1

Use DNSMasq for DNS: enabled

DHCP-Authoritative: enabld

Forced DNS redirection: enabled

Under the SERVICES tab:

I have Dnsmasq enabled

No DNS Rebind enabled

Query DNSin strict order enabled

Additional Dnsmasq Options: dhcp-option=6,192.168.11.75

I do not have any complicated settings or requirement needed on my network. All what I am trying to achieve is this:

1. Have all connected devices on my network to strictly go through the pihole for DNS requests. I do not want any request to go through my ISP DNS at all.

2. Have the pihole list all connected clients individually so I can see the traffic/requests from each device separately. Would be great if i can get it to show the hostnames.

3. Finally, I would like to use a third party DNS for my upstream but the third party DNS is not listed as one of the default “Upstream DNS Servers” on the pihole’s Web Interface under DNS tab so it is a custom DNS address. For example, OpenNIC.

I have been trying to get it to work this way for the last week but unfortunately without any luck.

The pihole does not list connected clients individually and instead it just lists the routers IP address. Or, my custom DNS gets ignored and the ISP DNS is used. or DNS resolving for a webpage is extremely slow and sometimes it errors out.

I tried resetting DD-WRT but I am not even sure if I am doing it right Sad

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me. I just need the settings/configs on BASIC SETUP and SERVICES pages of DD-WRT GUI in order for the above to work and that's all ( at least this is where I think the needed settings are located). I don't need any fancy setup.

Thanks in advance.

8djhfxou6xe31.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.45 KB
 Viewed:  979 Time(s)

8djhfxou6xe31.png

sxtyds407xe31.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.38 KB

sxtyds407xe31.png

dsfjwhdd7xe31.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.53 KB

dsfjwhdd7xe31.png

Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: