ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot?

TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 16:13    Post subject: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
Greetings,
So I searched for an answer to this question and only found topics related to USB tethering.

I was wondering if there was a way to use the 4G hotspot on my phone, as the WAN access for the router?

The issue I am having, is I currently have no access to another broadband source. There is no free internet directly around me. The latest Android update seemd to have killed the USB connection on my Droid Turbo 2, and this seems to be a common issue with this phone.

So my only real option, is to use the wireless hotspot on my phone for the internet on the router.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this area and I appreciate the time used to help me.

Gear:

WRT310N V2

Running:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/03/10) mini - build 13832

Thank you.
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 16:28    Post subject: Re: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
TheCyndicate wrote:
Greetings,
So I searched for an answer to this question and only found topics related to USB tethering.

I was wondering if there was a way to use the 4G hotspot on my phone, as the WAN access for the router?

The issue I am having, is I currently have no access to another broadband source. There is no free internet directly around me. The latest Android update seemd to have killed the USB connection on my Droid Turbo 2, and this seems to be a common issue with this phone.

So my only real option, is to use the wireless hotspot on my phone for the internet on the router.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this area and I appreciate the time used to help me.

Gear:

WRT310N V2

Running:

Thank you.

Easy peasy

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 16:31    Post subject: Re: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
TheCyndicate wrote:
Greetings,

Gear:

WRT310N V2

Running:

Thank you.

Easy peasy

Thank you very much, checking it out now.
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 16:37    Post subject: Re: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
TheCyndicate wrote:
Greetings,

Gear:

WRT310N V2

Running:

Thank you.

Easy peasy

What option would you use for my situation?

I want it to act like a normal network, computers and playstation on the network, I just want to use the phone for WAN.

Whats the best option for that, with this firmware?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:08    Post subject: Re: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
TheCyndicate wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:
TheCyndicate wrote:
Greetings,

Gear:

WRT310N V2

Running:

Thank you.

Easy peasy

What option would you use for my situation?

I want it to act like a normal network, computers and playstation on the network, I just want to use the phone for WAN.

Whats the best option for that, with this firmware?

Well, if you read the page it's all explained there. Repeater mode.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:18    Post subject: Re: ℹ️ WAN via Wireless 4G Hotspot? Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Well, if you read the page it's all explained there. Repeater mode.

I did read the page and there are a couple that could work, it was a little vague about the specific desired outcomes.

I am pretty familiar with the terms and workings of networks, my questions are more about how THIS firmware functions and the best options to use based on that, as I am not familiar at all with this firmware.

Again, thank you very much for your help and insight.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure no prob. In most cases repeater bridged would be used but since you're using a phone not a router I wouldn't think it would handle very well all devices connected through second router.
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Sure no prob. In most cases repeater bridged would be used but since you're using a phone not a router I wouldn't think it would handle very well all devices connected through second router.

That very well could be the case.

Its got 8 cores, so I might just have to push it and find out, lol.
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

BTW, it was really simple and worked perfectly.

Thanks for the direction!

👍
TheCyndicate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
It works perfectly fine, I have lost no function, the router is doing the work.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheCyndicate wrote:
It works perfectly fine, I have lost no function, the router is doing the work.

Glad it worked m8

vortex91
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the goal is to use single router and to have all funcionatlity of ddwrt provided he has dual band router the best choice would be client bridge on 1 band. This way he can still enable dhcp etc.. and run all he needs on teh other band.

d0ug wrote:
TheCyndicate wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

BTW, it was really simple and worked perfectly.

Thanks for the direction!

👍

I am not sure what your setup is on your router. Using repeater bridge will work, however you are going to miss out on any advanced routing features you might have been using on your router.

Repeater bridge has basically turned your router into a glorified switch and your phone is now doing all of the routing functions. Another limitation is the WiFi AP in most android devices can only handle routing to a handful of devices. If you attempt to connect more than about 10 devices on your LAN you might run into issues.

If you have anything like port forwards setup on your router, you have probably discovered they are no longer working. This could be caused by two things, the repeater bridge which is basically bypassing all routing functions of the router. Or your cell provider might have all of their internet connectivity NATed.

If your cell provider actually provides you with a real non NATed public IP on the internet and you want to continue to make use of features like port forwards, then the following would probably provide you a setup that is truer to a broadband connection.

You will need another router, or simply an Access point that can be run in WiFi Client mode.

Setup the AP/Router to be a WiFi Client and set it up to connect to your phone. Once you can confirm internet connectivity with a laptop on this AP/Router's LAN port. Take an ethernet cable and run it from the AP/Router Client's LAN port to the WAN port of your normal router.

This setup would give you connectivity on your router's WAN port which looks a lot more like a normal broadband connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: