Connecting Nighthawk Router to xfinitywifi hotspot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 20:29    Post subject: Connecting Nighthawk Router to xfinitywifi hotspot Reply with quote
I am having a problem, apparently like many others, trying to get my DD-WRT router to successfully connect to an xfinitywifi hot spot. I have a hotspot next to my office (and yes, I have a legitimate xfinity internet account), and I can log in directly to the hotspot successfully with my laptop. But not every device here in the office can authorize via the hotspot (e.g. my VOIP phone). So I need a routed solution to connect to xfinitywifi and share the connection internally with several devices using DCHP/NAT.

- I have a Nighthawk R7000P (AC2300) router, with Broadcom BCM4708 CPU. This router has two radios: 2.4 GHz at w0 and 5 GHz at w1. It also supports virtual interfaces on both radios.

- I successfully flashed the router with Kong's DD-WRT build v3.0-r39345M. I immediately reset the router to factory settings as instructed.

- Under BASIC SETUP, I have the router set for Automatic Configuration - DHCP. Hostname xfinity, Domain Name xfinity. Shortcut Forwarding Engine and STP both disabled.

Local IP is 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway is left blank, and Local DNS set to 75.75.75.75. Assign WAN Port to Switch is off. DHCP Server is enabled, and within the DHCP server settings, I have three static DNS set: 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76, and 8.8.8.8. DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS are both enabled. DHCP-Authoritative is also enabled. Forced DNS Redirection is off.

- Under SECURITY, SPI Firewall is disabled, and other checkboxes are off.

- Under WIRELESS BASIC SETTINGS, the regulatory domain is United States, Regulatory Mode is off. PTC Mitigation Factor is 0 (off).

Wireless interface w0 set at AP mode, mixed, auto channel, 20 MHz channel width, SSID Broadcast and TurboQAM enabled, other checkboxes disabled and network configuration is Bridged.

Wireless interface w1 set at Client mode, mixed, SSID is xfinitywifi, all other checkboxes disabled and network configuration is Bridged.

Each wireless interface has its own MAC address. I have spoofed these two MAC addresses to my laptop and logged in successfully with the laptop to xfinitywifi, with successful redirection to the the authorization portal. The laptop's original MAC address is now restored.

I can successfully connect to the router using the w0 (2.4) interface.

Under STATUS > WIRELESS, I can see my laptop connected using the w0 interface. Using the pull-down menu above, I can select the w1 (5.0) interface, and the window displays the correct MAC address, Radio is On, Client Mode, Mixed network, SSID is xfinitywifi, channel 36, TX Power is Auto, rate is 2340 Mbps, Encryption is enabled with WPA2-PSK (I forgot to mention I set up wireless security for each interface this way). Connected clients is 0.

Down below, I click on Site Survey, and all of the local wifi networks that support 5GHz pop up just fine. I click on the first xfinitywifi network, click join, and receive the "Successfully jointed the following network as a client: xfinitywifi"

So far, so good. I'm using the 2.4GHz interface for the office devices because not all of them support 5GHz.

However, when I open up a new tab in my browser, and try to visit something simple like www.google.com, nothing happens. The browser thinks about it for a while with no movement, and then returns the message that I am not connected to the Internet. Crying or Very sad

I've tried different xfinitywifi networks (on different broadcast channels), and I've tried disabling the wireless security on the w1 interface, with no luck.

I thought I had followed all of the various online tutorials and instructions, but apparently I'm still missing something and could use some assistance. It might be something very simple I'm overlooking. I'm not a total wizard with this stuff, only know just enough to get by. Cool

Last edited by gdsatty on Mon Aug 05, 2019 22:04; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why is your client radio bridged? What port do you have your WAN assigned to?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Why is your client radio bridged? What port do you have your WAN assigned to?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

It didn't make total sense to me to have it bridged, but that's what the various tutorials instructed. I've now changed the client radio to "unbridged" and clicked on the "Assign WAN Port to Switch" on the Basic Setup page. I should add that Masquerade/NAT is enabled.

I'm not sure I know how to assign the WAN to the w2 interface. I selected the w2 interface in Status>Wireless and used that interface to do the site survey and connect to xfinitywifi. Looks like I'm missing a step here somewhere?
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've also read contradictory information about Client mode vs. Repeater mode. I've read some posts that Client mode only allows wired connections to the router and xfinitywifi, while Repeater mode enhances the Client mode by allowing wireless connections.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I kinda got ahead of myself, sort of. If you are running dhcp on your AP and not allowing the xfinity to serve IP addresses, you want to run in gateway mode, with the client interface (eth2) assigned to WAN (networking tab), unbridged, and assign WAN ethernet port to switch, if so desired. The ethernet ports and remaining AP radio will still remain on br0. At least that is what seems logical to me. Those wikis were written for single-radio WRT54s, seems like. So much has changed since those old things.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
In addition to KP69, as you have been tinkering a lot consider resetting to defaults.

Use client mode for the 5 GHz to connect to XFinity and then you can use the 2,4 GHz for the office

Does XFinity not require a username and password like other hotspots?
If so and you do not land on a login page, have a look at the folowing sticky thread. In one of the last postings I did a recap: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304147
The magic word here is MAC cloning

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would think if he is routing properly to and through the client radio, then his pc would reach the captive portal, if there was one, but that is good to know.
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 20:28    Post subject: At my wit's end Reply with quote
So I have followed the various instructions, and am almost ready to give up.

Yes, I have spoofed several MAC addresses from the router to my laptop (including the w0 MAC and the w1 MAC, which is also the router's MAC), and then connected my laptop directly to xfinitywifi and reached the authentication portal. I authenticated, and was able to browse the web. So xfinity has captured those MAC addresses.

I've also spoofed my laptop and my iPhone MACs to the router, and tried to connect to xfinitywifi. I use the 5 GHz interface (w1) to do the site survey and "join." My WAN is assigned to eth2. br0 includes the eth1, vlan1 and vlan2 interfaces (even though I have not created any virtual interfaces myself).

Each time I receive a message that I have successfully connected, but clearly something is still not right.

I've tried client mode unbridged and repeater mode unbridged. Not sure where else to go from here.

I've attached a few screen shots. I can upload more if it helps.

Last edited by gdsatty on Tue Aug 06, 2019 22:59; edited 1 time in total
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I would think if he is routing properly to and through the client radio, then his pc would reach the captive portal, if there was one, but that is good to know.

Yes, xfinitywifi has a captive portal to authorize the user. If you log in using a MAC address that it doesn't recognize, it directs you to the portal at which point you enter your user name and password, and it captures your MAC address. If you log in using a MAC address that it has previously captured from you, it bypasses the portal and passes you on directly to the web.

I have the WAN assigned to eth2 port, which I understand correlates to the 5 GHz radio (w1 interface). I'm using the 5 GHz radio to do the site survey and then attempt to join xfinitywifi. I get a confirmation message that I have connected successfully, but trying to reach out to the web in a new blank web page, even just to something as simple as google, returns an error that my browser cannot find the server.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not try to just follow the instructions:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Starting with a reset.

You do not have to use the optional settings.

I do not think that there is any unbridging in the instructions nor assigning WAN to eth2 (yes your WAN is assigned to eth2 but DDWRT takes care of this)

It seems you are doing to much, just follow the instructions

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
@egc, those instructions were written for the old wrt54 series devices. Do you think it will work with a dual-band device without un-bridging? Only way I see that happening is not using the dhcp server in DD-WRT.

@gdsatty, could you please re-size and re-attach your images. 800x600 pixels is plenty big.
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
@egc, those instructions were written for the old wrt54 series devices. Do you think it will work with a dual-band device without un-bridging? Only way I see that happening is not using the dhcp server in DD-WRT.

@gdsatty, could you please re-size and re-attach your images. 800x600 pixels is plenty big.

Yes, I'm re-attaching smaller images to this post, but I will use the updated images now that I've followed egg's instructions (without any success).

A couple of points; first, following these instructions results in DD-WRT assigning the WAN port to vlan2, not to eth2. I haven't created any virtual interfaces. I believe that WAN should be set to eth2, corresponding to w1 (the 5 GHz radio). But I've tried connecting both ways, with no luck.

Also, setting the 5 GHz radio interface to client mode defaults to "bridged" option being selected down below. But I want to use my DD-WRT router as the DHCP server, so I have selected "unbridged."

I appreciate your input and hate to be a nuisance, but it's frustrating sometimes when you think something should be so relatively simple to do and then it doesn't work properly. And then trying to figure out where I've gone wrong.. .ugh.

--G

NetworkingRev1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.32 KB
 Viewed:  6998 Time(s)

NetworkingRev1.jpg

WirelessSettingsRev1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.87 KB

WirelessSettingsRev1.jpg

BasicSetupRev1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.95 KB

BasicSetupRev1.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a sneaking suspicion that Client mode only works on the 2.4 band. I will have to grab one of my spare test routers and tinker with this to see if I can figure it out. What you may have to do (idea as I am thinking while typing) is assign eth2 to vlan2 via cli if the web page (Switch Config or Vlans) doesn't work. Just keep in mind that the CPU's port always has to be connected to the each vlan.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

EDIT: Looking at my suggestion, I don't think that will work. Looks like you may have to just use the xfinity for dhcp and leave everything bridged.
gdsatty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that Client mode only works on the 2.4 band. I will have to grab one of my spare test routers and tinker with this to see if I can figure it out. What you may have to do (idea as I am thinking while typing) is assign eth2 to vlan2 via cli if the web page (Switch Config or Vlans) doesn't work. Just keep in mind that the CPU's port always has to be connected to the each vlan.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

EDIT: Looking at my suggestion, I don't think that will work. Looks like you may have to just use the xfinity for dhcp and leave everything bridged.

So I finally managed to get it working. I had to switch the radio so that the 2.4GHz radio is in client mode, and the 5GHz radio is in access point mode. THEN, I had to go to the VLAN page, and assign the WAN port to vlan 1, leaving all the boxes empty for vlan 2. Now everything is working properly. We'll see how stable it remains.

--G
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The thing that sticks out is gateway mode, removing wan from vlan2, and disabling SPI firewall. Otherwise, you should be able to use either radio as your client, I would think. I think 'Client' must take care of certain necessary underlying settings in DD-WRT for it to work. Learn something new every day. I still want to test something to verify the either or radio theory.

EDIT: Answered my own theory question after re-reading the wiki:

"If using a multi-band router, do not set more than one band to CB. The other radio(s) would normally be set as AP. For example, the 2.4GHz radio can a CB while the 5GHz is an AP, or vice versa."
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: