Recommendations for a new router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 0:41    Post subject: Recommendations for a new router? Reply with quote
I currently have a WRT1900AC version 1. It's starting to show its age after all of these years. Would getting an ACS be a good idea or would there be something better?
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a new router? Reply with quote
Kamakzie wrote:
I currently have a WRT1900AC version 1. It's starting to show its age after all of these years. Would getting an ACS be a good idea or would there be something better?

If you intend sticking with DD-WRT and Linksys, then I'd go with the WRT32X, as it represents the best VFM, or at least it did when I bought mine last December. I found that it gave a marked performance improvement over the WRT1900AC v1.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 15:48    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a new router? Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Kamakzie wrote:

If you intend sticking with DD-WRT and Linksys, then I'd go with the WRT32X, as it represents the best VFM, or at least it did when I bought mine last December. I found that it gave a marked performance improvement over the WRT1900AC v1.

Yes DD-WRT for me. Is the WRT-32X better than the 3200ACM?
illuminati_tri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe they are the exact same hardware, they just ship with different stock firmware. I'd just go with whichever you can get cheaper (normally the WRT32X).

Edit: Also the colors are different if you care about that. 32X is black and 3200ACM is the normal blue.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the boxes shows an Xbox One model WRT32XB. Is that the same hardware/firmware?
illuminati_tri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be the same! As far as I can tell, all they did is give XBOX traffic higher priority. Don't have firsthand knowledge of it though, so I'd try to confirm the 32X firmware still works with it before you purchase.

Edit:
Found this thread: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312139&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

One user claims to have flashed 32X firmware on 32XB and said it works. Read up on it though.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
illuminati_tri wrote:
I believe they are the exact same hardware, they just ship with different stock firmware. I'd just go with whichever you can get cheaper (normally the WRT32X).

Edit: Also the colors are different if you care about that. 32X is black and 3200ACM is the normal blue.

Not strictly correct, as they have different flash chips, which affects the installation process. There are separate builds for these routers.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
illuminati_tri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:

Not strictly correct, as they have different flash chips, which affects the installation process. There are separate builds for these routers.

I stand corrected! In terms of actual capabilities, though, would it be correct to say that they are nearly identical? I'm aware that the 3200ACM and 32X have different builds, I don't see a separate build for the 32XB and 32X though.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I could get the 32X "renewed" on Amazon for $99 not too bad. I assume I would be able to update that firmware quite often when new releases are put out? The AC version 1 is kind of hard to update because it was so old they don't put many updates out anymore.
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went ahead and ordered the WRT32X renewed version on Amazon. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to just use the small firmware first to flash it to DD WRT and then use the larger one after that? It looks like the initial one is 11 MB and then the real one is 30 some megs? I'm hoping the USB 3.0 port works better on this because it was a little bit slow with my USB drive and the AC 1.0 router.
illuminati_tri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamakzie wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the WRT32X renewed version on Amazon. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to just use the small firmware first to flash it to DD WRT and then use the larger one after that? It looks like the initial one is 11 MB and then the real one is 30 some megs? I'm hoping the USB 3.0 port works better on this because it was a little bit slow with my USB drive and the AC 1.0 router.

Just follow the instructions here! Smile
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569
You do need to flash the smaller image first, and then flash the "real" one from the GUI if you want to.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
illuminati_tri wrote:
Kamakzie wrote:

Just follow the instructions here! Smile
You do need to flash the smaller image first, and then flash the "real" one from the GUI if you want to.

Looks like a fairly simple straightforward process.
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the router tonight and I tried to do the upgrade through the GUI and I get an invalid firmware message. Not sure what to do.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamakzie wrote:
I got the router tonight and I tried to do the upgrade through the GUI and I get an invalid firmware message. Not sure what to do.

May have to downgrade the firmware to get DD-WRT to take. Nothing new.
Kamakzie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Kamakzie wrote:

May have to downgrade the firmware to get DD-WRT to take. Nothing new.

I was able to get open WRT on this router. Could I just upgrade to the full DD WRT from there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: