Conflicting RSSI Values

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
AnotherBrickintheWall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:12    Post subject: Conflicting RSSI Values Reply with quote
DD-WRT “Site Survey” identifies an AP named “xfinitywifi” with an “RSSI” value of -68:

[Results from Site Survey showing AP with an RSSI value of -68.]

The RSSI value does sometimes move up or down by one or two points when I request a new “Site Survey,” but stays right around -68. -68 is not great, but it’s unfortunately the best amongst several that are available, so I click the “Join” button to ask DD-WRT to join that network as a client. After joining that network, when I go to:

Status > Wireless > Wireless Nodes (section)

…it shows the AP that I selected (same MAC address), but the “Signal” value is now -93, which is far worse than the “-68” that was advertised in the Site Survey:

[Same Access Point now showing "Signal" value of -93.]

If I watch it for some time I see the “Signal” value move up and down, but it never gets better than around -83; it doesn’t get near the -68 that was advertised in the “Site Survey.”

Questions:

1 – Is the “Signal” value that is shown for the AP synonymous with “RSSI” or do they represent two different things?

2 – If the “Signal” and “RSSI” values are supposed to be the same, then why is the Signal value that is shown for the attached AP much worse than the RSSI value that is advertised in the Site Survey?

3 – The information about the Access Point to which I’m attached also shows a value for “Signal Quality.” How is that calculated?

Thanks much…
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: