EAP-SIM Wifi authentication?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
benevolent_al
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 16:17    Post subject: EAP-SIM Wifi authentication? Reply with quote
Here's the deal: We're in Spain for a couple of months in a place with no wifi included. However, you can get a 12 euro/month cell phone plan* that includes unlimited wifi access from hotspots planted in other customer's cable modems** (this is basically exactly what xfinity does with their xfinitywifi hotspots). However... these hotspots require EAP-SIM authentication. To get around this, I bummed an 8 year old android phone off of a local nephew and have it usb tethered to my laptop (cell data is completely switched off; it's only forwarding wifi). The laptop is then set up as a hotspot.

My question is: Are there any routers that accept a SIM for EAP-SIM verification but don't necessarily have 3g or 4g support?

* Telecable
** Wifi is unlimited and free; cell service is not.
Sponsor
francescogmb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
A the moment there is no router for you.

I found only a cisco 520 Secure Route to use as access point.

I'm ricompiling openwrt for eap-sim anda eap-aka support, but there is a bug in the source

I suggest to you to buy a good and stardard router with an usb port.

Now you can use it for tethering with your smartphone (you will swith-off your laptop) and then in the future you will use only the router with a smart card reader.

The other way is mini pc with linux and support with eap-sim

about your question: for eap-sim you need a router with usb and a smart card reader. (no 3g/4g support is required). Now there only a problem of software or configuration.
benevolent_al
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: