PPPoE & VPN connectivity

cripto2020
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 16:03    Post subject: PPPoE & VPN connectivity Reply with quote
HI guys

After having spend so many hours reading this forum, i am finally going to write my first post as i wasnt able to find any answers to what i am trying to achieve.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41892 std (01/05/20)
Linksys WRT1900ACS
Marvell Armada 385
Apple MAC user

I have a fiber ISP. The ISP provides the modem/router to which i connect my router.
The modem provided by the ISP is behind another modem.

Objectives:

To cut the long story short, what i am trying to achieve is to connect to my home network when outside for work. I also have a synology NAS already plugged in which works fine if i connect through Synology Servers (Https) but i cannot connect to it directly (port forwarding).

I contracted the ISP provided and they suggested / told me that they would be able to give me an public IP address but i would need to connect via PPPoE.

The questions i have are:

1) I see that DD-WRT could handle PPPeE fiber connectivity but i read that it doesnt not seem to be stable. In many forums, the suggestion was to still use a Modem and let the modem do all the PPPE stuff. Can anyone opine on this point?

2) Port forwarding from the ISP provider modem/router to my WRT does not work, because the ISP provider cannot really do anything on the other router. I guess that if i want to access my NAS (and my home network) I have no other than going for the PPPOE right (5000, 5001 (synology's port ) are blocked). Any suggestion here?

3) I extensively explored the possibility to use a VPN server to bypass the double modem situation described about but to no avail. PPTP protocol does not seem to be very safe and also apple removed it with Catalina.
I tried to install the Open VPN server but this seems to be very difficult, at least for a novice like myself. There are many forum on how to do that, but it is beyond my comprehension, is there some sort of plug and play option?
what about Sofether. I saw that it is an option, but again seems nothing simple.

thanks so much for any advice
Sponsor
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually the first box behind a fibre connection does "change the fibre into copper" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device#Optical_network_terminals)

The second box you mentioned seems to be the router provided by your ISP.

The WRT1900 is a 2nd router behind a first router.

As my WRT1900ACS v2 is able to use PPPoE to do a dial in (tested it a few weeks ago) it should be possible to set the ISP provided device into Bridge mode and use PPPoE on your WRT1900 to also dial in and receive a public IP.

You need to do the readup somewhere in the knowledgebase of your ISP, how to set its device into Bridge mode / how to insert your PPPoE Data.

If you prefer a VPN solution, have a closer look into Wireguard: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322206
(you need to be logged in) Download the excellent Wireguard Guide written by egc.
The goal of Wireguard is to establish a easy to configure VPN solution. It is still work in progress but in my opinion a lot easier to maintan and understand than OpenVPN.

Most recent release (04/20/2020 - r42954) of DD-WRT firmware is able to connect to another Endpoint and also route traffic through the endpoints WAN interface.
Currently I use it to connect my devices to a small server and access my home devices from anywhere.
cripto2020
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
many thanks for your reply - very helpful to clarify few points.

i guess the key takeaways for me are:

- upgrade to latest version for the Endpoint connectivity (not sure what exactly is) but i guess i will find it in the forum unless you would be able to shed some light?

- have a look at the VPN connectivity in the link you posted

thanks again!
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The most current release is r43012:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324544

It looks like someone with your WRT1900 tested this device as functioning.

In the linked post have a closer look into ftp / http download folders.
If a new folder is created this means a new release is available.
Usually the same day Build threads are created by active dd-wrt users to gather feedback.

Give this release a few days and if no one mentions malfunctions, go ahead and update your device Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The downloads are not there for 43012 currently due to issues that are being resolved. You will have to wait until the new images are uploaded.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
cripto2020
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The downloads are not there for 43012 currently due to issues that are being resolved. You will have to wait until the new images are uploaded.

i guess they have being taken down in the last couple of hours because earlier this morning i was able to download it and flash it. It seems to be working ok but i will keep an eye on the folder so that i can get the newer release - thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just making sure you knew in case you checked and wondered why the downloads were missing.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
cripto2020
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zyxx wrote:

Usually the same day Build threads are created by active dd-wrt users to gather feedback.

Give this release a few days and if no one mentions malfunctions, go ahead and update your device Smile

thanks - i took and flashed it and it seems to be working ok . I also found the new tunneling that you mentioned in your earlier post.

you mentioned that you managed to get the PPPoE working with your WRT router. I understand your comment about using the ISP modem (they call it "the cube") in a bridge mode, but my doubt is if I need it at all. Meaning, can my 1900 ACS WRT router do the PPPOE stuff or do I need to have the modem anyway?
cripto2020
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I was just making sure you knew in case you checked and wondered why the downloads were missing.

thanks - i actually did check it again and couldnt find it Smile
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
cripto2020 wrote:
Zyxx wrote:

thanks - i took and flashed it and it seems to be working ok . I also found the new tunneling that you mentioned in your earlier post.

you mentioned that you managed to get the PPPoE working with your WRT router. I understand your comment about using the ISP modem (they call it "the cube") in a bridge mode, but my doubt is if I need it at all. Meaning, can my 1900 ACS WRT router do the PPPOE stuff or do I need to have the modem anyway?

Your WRT19000 can "speak" PPPoE over its Copper based WAN Ethernet Interface.
There is still a device needed, which somehow provides "fibre to copper" conversion.

I have no idea how your provider handles this, I'd recommend getting in touch with a technician of theirs, or (if available) read the knowledgebase of your ISP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: