WDS vs Client Bridge

batmanrobin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 16:43    Post subject: WDS vs Client Bridge Reply with quote
I have been successfully using a WDS setup between my Trendnet TEW-673GRU and D-Link DIR-825. My modem is connected to the Trendnet in the basement and most of the wifi in the house was provided by the D-Link on the main floor. Each router has a wired connection to one PC.

I was able to get a Linksys EA6100 AC1200 which I found provided much better wireless coverage and speeds than the D-Link. Unfortunately, it doesn't support DDWRT or a wireless bridge. As such, I have setup a wired bridge to this modem from the D-Link and everything is technically working ok.

However, the D-Link now has nothing connecting wirelessly to it because the Linksys wifi is much stronger. There is obviously no way to stop the wifi under WDS so I was thinking if it might be better to switch to a Client Bridge and turn off the D-Link wifi to avoid any unnecessary wifi interference (not 100% sure if that is possible). However, this wiki says you should essentially never use a Client Bridge unless there are no other options: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I would appreciate any opinions on which setup would be the best given my situation.

Currently all 3 modems are on the same 2.4G and 5G channels and I could also technically keep the WDS setup and just change the channels on the Linksys to avoid interference as well.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: