Problem with installing external USB hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
DaveI
DD-WRT User


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 272

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can also try using a different USB enclosure...
About a year and a half ago there was a change to the USB driver. The drive/enclosure which I had been using as a NAS drive (2.5inch drive in Rosewill enclosure) stopped working with the updated DD-WRT. I confirmed it was the DD version. I changed my enclosure to a 3.5 inch drive/enclosure with it's own power supply and the NAS worked again. If you happen to be using a drive enclosure that does not have it's own power supply you could try a different drive/enclosure.

On the latest versions of DD I also made sure to set my UUID for the drive and to repoint all mount points and shares to "jffs". That was only required for me starting with r40400.

_________________
WRT1900ACSv2
Sponsor
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveI wrote:
You can also try using a different USB enclosure...
About a year and a half ago there was a change to the USB driver. The drive/enclosure which I had been using as a NAS drive (2.5inch drive in Rosewill enclosure) stopped working with the updated DD-WRT. I confirmed it was the DD version. I changed my enclosure to a 3.5 inch drive/enclosure with it's own power supply and the NAS worked again. If you happen to be using a drive enclosure that does not have it's own power supply you could try a different drive/enclosure.

On the latest versions of DD I also made sure to set my UUID for the drive and to repoint all mount points and shares to "jffs". That was only required for me starting with r40400.


My USB hard drive has its own power supply.

I'm not buying a new USB hard disk drive. If this dd-wrt nas fails due to my current USB hard drive then this dd-wrt nas may not be fully installed.

My friend will bring me 8 hard drives next week and then I'll start making the FreeNAS server.


The only way I can go so far is with an older DD-WRT version.
DaveI
DD-WRT User


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 272

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a version from about 2 years ago (just as a test).

Regarding FreeNAS...That's a great solution.
I use OpenMediaVault (Forerunner of FreeNAS) as it has much lower hardware requirements. I have my backup server running on a Core2Duo Extreme desktop using OpenMediaVault and I get about 110 to 115MBps transfer speed to and from an i7. Really sped up my backups for my ten network computers.

Good Luck.

_________________
WRT1900ACSv2
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveI wrote:
Try a version from about 2 years ago (just as a test).

Regarding FreeNAS...That's a great solution.
I use OpenMediaVault (Forerunner of FreeNAS) as it has much lower hardware requirements. I have my backup server running on a Core2Duo Extreme desktop using OpenMediaVault and I get about 110 to 115MBps transfer speed to and from an i7. Really sped up my backups for my ten network computers.

Good Luck.


Openmediavault is also good but I would like to use FreeNAS myself.

I have this HP computer that I am going to use as a FreeNAS server: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00712281

You have really fast transfer rates and I expect to get the same speeds myself. FreeNAS on my server.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Posts: 407
Location: Appalachian mountains, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two more ideas that will be easier to try.
First, from https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1171246#1171246 today there is this:
PavelVD wrote:
My Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 successfully works on r40276. The update was performed from r40009 in Part 1. It is known that SAMBA does not start after a reboot from this release. Solution - team in autostart:
sleep 30; stopservice samba3; startservice samba3

Perhaps something similar happens in your release. Try the stop/start of samba 3 in the CLI. (If it complains that there is no such service, try using just samba instead of samba3. I'm not sure how new samba3 is in dd-wrt.)

Second, try formatting a flash drive to ntfs on your windows machine and see if you can set it up as NAS in dd-wrt. If you can, then perhaps your trouble all along has been something about your drive.

You might even want to see, in the CLI, whether anything interesting appears in /var/log/messages or in the output of dmesg when you attempt to set up the share. Those are too long to post in their entirety, but if there are errors, that's where the evidence will appear.

_________________
Six of the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on r38159 (solid), r39144 (very solid), r40009 (solid), and r40784 (trying out). On various:
VLANs, client-mode travel router, two DNSCrypt servers (incl Quad9), multiple VAPs, USB/NAS, QoS, OpenVPN client/PBR (random NordVPN server).
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Some people have had weird NAS trouble with some of the newer releases. A post today (Fri Jul 26, 2019) by ed2019 in thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1171218, for example, describes weird interaction between wifi and the NAS system in a WRT32X running 40400. You might want to try to complete the NAS setup with wifi off just to see if it will work. If it does, then you know for sure that you need an older dd-wrt release.

One other approach is to record all your dd-wrt settings (I use nvram show from the CLI), erase the nvram (30 second push of the recessed red button in back by the power cord or, I believe but have not tried it, nvram erase in the CLI followed by reboot). This should leave you with the same dd-wrt release but with all settings back to default. Then you can set the router password then proceed directly to the USB/NAS setup, ideally while connected to the router over ethernet. If it fails even on this reinitialized system, a bad release seems clearly indicated. If it succeeds, you can start loading your configuration back in, step by step, checking carefully to see which setting causes problems with the NAS functionality.

I'm not fond of the idea of the last paragraph though. It would be a tremendous amount of work if you already have a complex setup. Instead I'd check to see what partition dd-wrt is loaded into. In the CLI (ssh or telnet or putty) do ubootenv get boot_part and look at the last line of its few lines of output. Partition 1 is a little larger than partition 2, and recent dd-wrt builds have not quite fit in partition 2 of the WRT1900ACSv2. Usually attempts to update into the smaller partition cause obvious failure, with the router just booting back into the old firmware. But you might want to be sure your dd-wrt firmware is in partition 1. If it is not, you can load dd-wrt into partition 1 either by "updating" dd-wrt to the same version, from the GUI using the webflash file, or by "updating" instead to an older release.

If you decide to try an older release, I suggest trying the one I am using, 39144 (from March) from the ftp site ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/, of course using the webflash file for the WRT1900ACSv2 specifically. Unless you are trying to set up DNS over TLS (guide at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1166512), you won't really be giving up anything by going back that far. (And this earlier release actually makes using DNSCrypt much easier than the new releases do.) Most important though is that 39144 works for my NAS setup on a WRT1900ACSv2. Further, my experience with it is that 39144 will work fine in either partition.

But if you are going to use a newer release, do be sure it is in the larger partition, just in case. The usual webflash procedure to update from the GUI always loads the new firmware into the opposite partition. To load it instead into the currently used partition (as determined by ubootenv above), see the section entitled Trick to Upgrade DD-WRT Firmware without losing current configuration or the need to return to Stock Firmware in the Cliff Notes at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117. (The Cliff Notes also discuss how to use telnet from Windows, in case this is something you have not done before.)



I did this command in the putty program to see where the dd-wrt software I installed is located.

But I don't think this is the right information or am I wrong? Which partition is my dd-wrt software in?

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Posts: 407
Location: Appalachian mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
In putty do ubootenv get boot_part and look at the last line of output for the partition number.
_________________
Six of the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on r38159 (solid), r39144 (very solid), r40009 (solid), and r40784 (trying out). On various:
VLANs, client-mode travel router, two DNSCrypt servers (incl Quad9), multiple VAPs, USB/NAS, QoS, OpenVPN client/PBR (random NordVPN server).
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
In putty do ubootenv get boot_part and look at the last line of output for the partition number.



It looks like my dd-wrt is installed in the second partition. Am I right?

How do I easily install dd-wrt software in Part One?

Should I try this version? dd-wrt software ?: 39144


SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Posts: 407
Location: Appalachian mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you are running dd-wrt in partition 2 now (as I can see), an ordinary "webflash" will install the new dd-wrt in partition 1 and boot into it. I suggest 39144 from March of this year, just because I have had only good results from it, including using USB/NAS, and if it works you can just stay with it (as I am doing).

I don't know whether you've done an upgrade to a different release before, so I'm going to give you the procedure. The download files for 39144 are at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/03-11-2019-r39144/linksys-wrt1900acsv2/. Download the ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin file to your computer, and back up your router settings in GUI>Administration>Backup. Then connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable, turn off the computer's wifi to ensure it is using the cable connection only, and disconnect all other ethernet cables from the router, even the WAN cable. Unmount the USB drive with the SES button (watching for the flash of the router power light as confirmation) and unplug it as well. There should only be one cable (and power) connected to the router and nothing else. Go to GUI>Administration>FirmwareUpgrade, leave the After flashing, reset to menu item set to Don't reset, browse to the downloaded file in the GUI and click Upgrade. Be patient and don't try to access the GUI or interact with the router in any way for 90 seconds, just to be sure there is plenty of time for it to reboot and set things up. Don't expect your browser to take you back to the GUI on its own. Be sure your computer has reconnected to the "new" router and retype 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is) into the browser. If the update was successful, the new dd-wrt version number will be in the upper right of the screen.

If you want to try an even older release instead, I have done well with 37736 and 38159 on the WRT1900ACSv2 also, in each case with USB/NAS success. But in my mind, if it doesn't work in 39144, the problem isn't the release and it isn't going to work in the others either.

_________________
Six of the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on r38159 (solid), r39144 (very solid), r40009 (solid), and r40784 (trying out). On various:
VLANs, client-mode travel router, two DNSCrypt servers (incl Quad9), multiple VAPs, USB/NAS, QoS, OpenVPN client/PBR (random NordVPN server).
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Since you are running dd-wrt in partition 2 now (as I can see), an ordinary "webflash" will install the new dd-wrt in partition 1 and boot into it. I suggest 39144 from March of this year, just because I have had only good results from it, including using USB/NAS, and if it works you can just stay with it (as I am doing).

I don't know whether you've done an upgrade to a different release before, so I'm going to give you the procedure. The download files for 39144 are at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/03-11-2019-r39144/linksys-wrt1900acsv2/. Download the ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin file to your computer, and back up your router settings in GUI>Administration>Backup. Then connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable, turn off the computer's wifi to ensure it is using the cable connection only, and disconnect all other ethernet cables from the router, even the WAN cable. Unmount the USB drive with the SES button (watching for the flash of the router power light as confirmation) and unplug it as well. There should only be one cable (and power) connected to the router and nothing else. Go to GUI>Administration>FirmwareUpgrade, leave the After flashing, reset to menu item set to Don't reset, browse to the downloaded file in the GUI and click Upgrade. Be patient and don't try to access the GUI or interact with the router in any way for 90 seconds, just to be sure there is plenty of time for it to reboot and set things up. Don't expect your browser to take you back to the GUI on its own. Be sure your computer has reconnected to the "new" router and retype 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is) into the browser. If the update was successful, the new dd-wrt version number will be in the upper right of the screen.

If you want to try an even older release instead, I have done well with 37736 and 38159 on the WRT1900ACSv2 also, in each case with USB/NAS success. But in my mind, if it doesn't work in 39144, the problem isn't the release and it isn't going to work in the others either.



I have successfully installed dd-wrt version 39144

But NAS still doesn't work Sad

The hard drive I named still does not stay in file sharing. When I press save and apply settings, the hard drive I name disappears from file sharing Sad

At least then the bug is not published Sad

What on can I do to make this a success .....

Apparently I can install the latest version of dd-wrt firmware on my router.




Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm starting to get tired of this when I can't do it even though I try what! Sad

Should I forget the whole DD-WRT and try to make it work using OpenWRT? I don't think this is a software bug but when i don't know why i can't do this Sad

I don't know what I'm doing anymore I guess I have to give up and say I'm not successful?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Posts: 407
Location: Appalachian mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really wonder now whether there is something about your USB drive that is a problem for dd-wrt. I expect that if you formatted a flash drive to ntfs and tried it in dd-wrt, it would work fine.

Mazufa wrote:
Apparently I can install the latest version of dd-wrt firmware on my router.

If you want to install recent versions, take note of a couple of important things:

1. Multiple WRT1900ACSv2 users have reported in the new-build threads that nothing after 40134 will fit in partition 2. Since you have 39144 in partition 1, to install another release into partition one, you'll need to precede the installation with ubootenv set boot_part 2 in putty and then install without rebooting first. This is because installation is always into the opposite partition from the one named in that variable. You should confirm you understand the procedure by reading the section
Trick to Upgrade DD-WRT Firmware without losing current configuration
in the Cliff Notes at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117.

2. If you have trouble with partition size anyway (in which case the router will boot into the old dd-wrt version after the attempted update, unless you are trying to flash 40167, in which case you'll be lucky to be able to boot at all), there is a procedure in the first post of 40189 new-build thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320387 to update from the CLI (putty in your case). Supposedly it can handle slightly larger builds without trouble. Be very careful though that you know what partition you'll be updating in that case. I haven't tried that procedure and don't know the details.

Honestly, I'd just stay with 39144 and not risk an upgrade from there. But if you want to go with a newer release, my notes from the new-build threads say 40048 and 40065 have NAS problems, 40134 is the best of recent builds but may have problems with scheduled reboot for some, 40167 has GUI problems and serious flashing problems that are hard to recover from, 40189 requires the flash-from-putty procedure above, 40260 and 40276 also have trouble with partition size and may require the putty procedure, 40352 has NAS trouble in your model router (DaveI), and people have had trouble with the vpn client killing the dns service in 40400 and 40439. The point of giving you this list of problems, which may or may not be perfectly accurate, is to encourage you to stick with something that works, 39144, and not feel like you are missing out by not having the latest. There is nothing automatically good about the latest. You must read the new-build threads to find one that is solid for your router.

In my mind the one possibility for improvement for you with a very recent build is that I believe samba has been significantly updated. The linux kernel has also been updated. If these mattered to me, I'd try 40134, which was posted about a month ago.

_________________
Six of the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on r38159 (solid), r39144 (very solid), r40009 (solid), and r40784 (trying out). On various:
VLANs, client-mode travel router, two DNSCrypt servers (incl Quad9), multiple VAPs, USB/NAS, QoS, OpenVPN client/PBR (random NordVPN server).
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I really wonder now whether there is something about your USB drive that is a problem for dd-wrt. I expect that if you formatted a flash drive to ntfs and tried it in dd-wrt, it would work fine.

Mazufa wrote:
Apparently I can install the latest version of dd-wrt firmware on my router.

If you want to install recent versions, take note of a couple of important things:

1. Multiple WRT1900ACSv2 users have reported in the new-build threads that nothing after 40134 will fit in partition 2. Since you have 39144 in partition 1, to install another release into partition one, you'll need to precede the installation with ubootenv set boot_part 2 in putty and then install without rebooting first. This is because installation is always into the opposite partition from the one named in that variable. You should confirm you understand the procedure by reading the section
Trick to Upgrade DD-WRT Firmware without losing current configuration
in the Cliff Notes at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117.

2. If you have trouble with partition size anyway (in which case the router will boot into the old dd-wrt version after the attempted update, unless you are trying to flash 40167, in which case you'll be lucky to be able to boot at all), there is a procedure in the first post of 40189 new-build thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320387 to update from the CLI (putty in your case). Supposedly it can handle slightly larger builds without trouble. Be very careful though that you know what partition you'll be updating in that case. I haven't tried that procedure and don't know the details.

Honestly, I'd just stay with 39144 and not risk an upgrade from there. But if you want to go with a newer release, my notes from the new-build threads say 40048 and 40065 have NAS problems, 40134 is the best of recent builds but may have problems with scheduled reboot for some, 40167 has GUI problems and serious flashing problems that are hard to recover from, 40189 requires the flash-from-putty procedure above, 40260 and 40276 also have trouble with partition size and may require the putty procedure, 40352 has NAS trouble in your model router (DaveI), and people have had trouble with the vpn client killing the dns service in 40400 and 40439. The point of giving you this list of problems, which may or may not be perfectly accurate, is to encourage you to stick with something that works, 39144, and not feel like you are missing out by not having the latest. There is nothing automatically good about the latest. You must read the new-build threads to find one that is solid for your router.

In my mind the one possibility for improvement for you with a very recent build is that I believe samba has been significantly updated. The linux kernel has also been updated. If these mattered to me, I'd try 40134, which was posted about a month ago.


I have decided that I stay here 39144 dd-wrt publication which I have now installed the section 1.

But I still haven't got the NAS to work here Sad I still have the same problem that the hard drive I named disappears from file sharing when I hit apply settings and save.

I'm really annoyed with this because I am now a week trying to get this to work but does not fail to share my external hard drive so I could get more space ....

Do I just have to say that I did not manage to share the external hard drive and give up?


One alternative would be to overlook DD-WRT and try the OpenWRT firmware.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Posts: 407
Location: Appalachian mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never tried OpenWRT, but my general impression is that using it is more involved than using dd-wrt because you are really building a custom router OS for yourself using a large kit of components. (Anyone?)
_________________
Six of the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on r38159 (solid), r39144 (very solid), r40009 (solid), and r40784 (trying out). On various:
VLANs, client-mode travel router, two DNSCrypt servers (incl Quad9), multiple VAPs, USB/NAS, QoS, OpenVPN client/PBR (random NordVPN server).
Mazufa
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I have never tried OpenWRT, but my general impression is that using it is more involved than using dd-wrt because you are really building a custom router OS for yourself using a large kit of components. (Anyone?)



But why can't I stick to file sharing on my named hard drive? Every time I hit apply settings and save the hard drive I named will disappear .... This has been a problem from the beginning.

Do I just have to say that I did not succeed and give up?

I've had so far satisfied with the DD-WRT software. But this NAS problem has made me nervous this week when I tried to get a shared external hard drive.

Maybe I just have to give up on this?

I build a FreeNAS server and then I have enough space my data.

I have now connected the external USB hard disks normally the computer's USB port.


I'm really annoyed when I couldn't share an external hard drive using DD-WRT software.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum