[WRT3200ACM] Can't get wireless running correctly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
smk001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 23:08    Post subject: [WRT3200ACM] Can't get wireless running correctly Reply with quote
Hi all! This is my first post on the forum as today I got a used WRT3200ACM to get rid of my crappy router provided by the cable company.

First of all, I tried dd-wrt 40189 (newest listed in the router DB) as well as the newest one on the ftp share (40400). Installation from the stock linksys fw upgrade page went smoothly and everything, except from the wireless connection, seems to be working perfectly. Also, I tested the router thoroughly on newest linksys stock firmware to confirm that absolutely everything works but I need to upgrade since it lacks some features I expect from my router to have.

So, when configuring network adapters I disabled ath2 straight away as per instructions I found, then I proceeded to set up 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz networks (with different SSIDs) and security (WPA2/AES, same on all adapters). However, no matter what I cannot get the 5GHz adapter to even turn on the radio on any channel above 48. Even then I can only connect from my Galaxy A70 with speeds of around 16/30Mbps when sitting about 3 meters away from the router and my WAN speed over wired connection to my PC is a stable 500/30. I guess these speeds come from that fact that this band is already hogged by my two neighbours, with signal strengths of their routers almost matching or sometimes even overpowering my linksys according to Wifi Analyzer app.

Another strange thing is that I cannot connect using my Win 10 laptop (with a fairly new Intel AC8265 wireless NIC) at all if any kind of security is turned on - only open network seems to work with it when on dd-wrt.

But wait! There's more! Seemingly at random the 5 GHz radio is being turned on when I select higher channels (116, 122, etc.) but only if I reduce the channel width down to 20 MHz, although I cannot connect to such network from any device despite the SSID being broadcast.

After wasting couple hours trying to figure that out, I rebooted the router for the nth time hoping it'll finally start working and out of the blue - the SSIDs were not broadcast anymore on both bands (I could seen them appear on Wifi Analyser without an SSID, but couldn't connect)! The only thing that brought back the SSID broadcast was going back to stock linksys firmware and flashing dd-wrt 40400 again, however on newer version all above problems persist.

Then I got an idea to try flashing an older build, namely 31899 and 34411 since I thought that maybe I can't see my problem listed on the forum because many people still didn't update their routers and it's working fine for them. These two however, completely refuse to flash - the router seems to be doing something at least twice as long as during my first attempts, but then reboots back to the first partition containing the stock firmware.

Considering all of the problems one could suspect that the router I got is faulty, but it works perfectly when using stock firmware. I can easily get 200/30 on my mobile, connecting my work laptop takes less than a second and everything overall is stable as a rock.

Did any one of you got similar experiences when switching do dd-wrt or it's just me being extremely unlucky?
Sponsor
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:18    Post subject: WRT3200 WiFi Reply with quote
I see you are in Europe and the channel configurations differ from here in Canada, but overall the 3200 performs well for me with only minor problems with WiFi.

First off refer to the channel availability chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
Beyond that I must mention two possible problems that you may have.
If you are trying to use a channel width greater than 20 you must ensure that you set the extension channels for availability. ie On my master I use channel 100 (UUU+14) as you can reference on the chart. If I choose to run a higher power I must restrict myself to reducing my bandwidth to 80 for channels above 100. You mention using channel 48 and if you look at the chart you must select lower channels for extension. I mention higher power but I realize that you are restricted in this case by TPC or to 25mw on the high end channels.
As for devices not connecting there is numerous posts about this. Linksys uses a proprietary driver not available to the OEM. In my case I have to do work arounds for smart devices based on the ESP8266 chip and in the case of my Lenovo Tab I have to always set my network mode to mixed otherwise I can not get a connect.
There are numerous posts about specific devices being unable to connect with certain parameters, you just need to be specific and get the basic network running first.
Just as a foot note I sometimes do testing on a router in close proximity to my master and I have had it die because of my testing. Not sure if this is due to WLAN interference or something else. There are a lot of users out there most of which only run 20mhz bandwidth to avoid interference, but that is not my case as my nearest neighbour is half a klick away. As I said before be cautious about your channel selection and go from there.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
smk001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply WENED Smile

WENED wrote:
First off refer to the channel availability chart

In Poland I'm allowed to use any channel from 36 up to 140, but anything above 48 needs to use DFS. Maximum allowed TX power is 20 dBm for channels 48-60 and 30 dBm for 100-140 and this is how I set it. I can confirm that's in order by SSHing into the router and running:
Code:
iw ath0 info

WENED wrote:
Linksys uses a proprietary driver not available to the OEM.

I guess that could explain the issues I got when the radio was up, but I couldn't connect. The ESP8266 bug seems to be more of an issue as I'm running several Sonoff switches, three Amazon Echos and couple Yeelight color lightbulbs on my network as well, although I couldn't test it yet, since my main concern was getting the work laptop up and running before my night shift.
Anyway, it really is a bummer, since linksys markets this router as a "DIY hacker friendly" option and it was the main selling point for me to shell out for a better piece of hardware than a basic $39 802.11ac router from [-pick your nearest electronics chain name here-].

WENED wrote:
I sometimes do testing on a router in close proximity to my master

I think it shouldn't be an issue - it's the only router I use on the network and all devices are at least couple meters away (i.e. on the opposite side of the same room)

I'll do some more tests today with 40400 and see if I could get a secured network with all other settings left as default to be available and stable.
smk001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
smk001 wrote:
Thanks for the reply WENED Smile

WENED wrote:
First off refer to the channel availability chart

In Poland I'm allowed to use any channel from 36 up to 140, but anything above 48 needs to use DFS. Maximum allowed TX power is 20 dBm for channels 48-60 and 30 dBm for 100-140 and this is how I set it. I can confirm that's in order by SSHing into the router and running:
Code:
iw ath0 info

WENED wrote:
Linksys uses a proprietary driver not available to the OEM.

I guess that could explain the issues I got when the radio was up, but I couldn't connect. The ESP8266 bug seems to be more of an issue as I'm running several Sonoff switches, three Amazon Echos and couple Yeelight color lightbulbs on my network as well, although I couldn't test it yet, since my main concern was getting the work laptop up and running before my night shift.
Anyway, it really is a bummer, since linksys markets this router as a "DIY hacker friendly" option and it was the main selling point for me to shell out for a better piece of hardware than a basic $39 802.11ac router from [-pick your nearest electronics chain name here-].

WENED wrote:
I sometimes do testing on a router in close proximity to my master

I think it shouldn't be an issue - it's the only router I use on the network and all devices are at least couple meters away (i.e. on the opposite side of the same room)

I'll do some more tests today with 40400 and see if I could get a secured network with all other settings left as default to be available and stable.

Update:
I've just installed a fresh copy of dd-wrt 40400, left all wireless settings (sans the SSID and security) untouched and it looks like with all defaults I'm able to connect with my phone, tablet and work laptop, although with speeds not exceeding 50 Mbps over couple meters due to a narrow channel set by default on 5 GHz band. Below is my iw info output.

Update_2:
As soon as I change Channel Width to Wide HT40 (40 MHz) network disappears from Wifi Analyzer and becomes inaccessible to all my devices, regardless of dd-wrt status saying that radio's on - see gui screencap. As soon as I go back to 20 MHz, as if by magic it springs back to life. I can also set VHT80 and then I can connect from my phone (but not the laptop!) although speeds go down to 18 Mbps DL. Then I tried VHT160 I was able to connect for the first time using this Channel Width, although speed are the same as with a 20 MHz channel (55/30 when I last tested it).
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lots of good info posted so far, but also have a look at the standard reference for wifi settings for routers, like yours, that use atheros wifi chips: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 15:32    Post subject: 3200 Wifi problems Reply with quote
Take a look at my recent post regarding WiFi concerns with wrt's running client mode. It appears there are still some strange effects on the 5Ghz band.

As for your last post,
If you use Channel 100 (UU+6) I believe you will be stable. As for why your speeds don't increase on using wider bandwidth, it is most likely due to the client being connected not having the ability to connect at other than 20mhz bandwidth. Case in point that even when I run 160 my remote routers will only connect at their max, in the case of my remote 3200 it connects at 160 with the speed increase appropriately. I have an older laptop which always connects at the same speed regardless of available channel bandwidth.

As for your 8266 devices, I currently have two 3200's running so I am able to separate the 8266 devices (Sonoff) on one of the 3200's, but I have run with one by creating a VAP on the 2.4ghz with a separate ssid and disabling wmm support on the VAP. Keep in mind that only the 8266 devices will be able to connect to this VAP.

My 5ghz radios are in AC/N or AC only.
My 2.4Ghz radios must be in Mixed mode to allow for any of my devices to connect properly. Any other setting will kill my Lenovo Tab access.

I don't know if I have been of any help to you, but if you continue to post with your problems/concerns there are many others here that are far more knowledgeable than I.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

smk001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@SurprisedItWorks
Thanks for the link - there's a ton of valuable info specific to DD-WRT.

@WENED
I guess I finally got it working. I left the 5 GHz channel on Auto, set 160 MHz channel width et voila - it's happily occupying 100-128 range and works perfectly. Turned out that somebody (i.e. me) should RTFM - the main culprit was me trying to force an "AC Only" wireless mode instead of leaving it on "Mixed". After going back to "Mixed" I suddenly stopped having issues. I also set up 2.4 GHz to use the same SSID, 40 MHz channel width with QAM enabled and all clients (except ESP8266 sonoff switches) can now connect with a decent speed.

I wanted to try your solution of re-purposing the ath2 adapter as a short-range smart home network, but in the end dropped the idea of having an unsecured network in favour of more "savage" solution. I just pulled out an old ASUS RT-AC51U which was sitting in my garbage pile due to only having 100 Mbps WAN/LAN connections and set it up as an access point dedicated for sonoffs Wink

Thanks for the help guys!
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great that you got it working!

FWIW, I run my 5 GHz ath0 wifi as AC/N-Mixed at 80 MHz and have always been happy with it. And do remember that if you should find you have inadequate SNR to get full-speed connections, cutting the bandwidth in half will gain you 3 dB of SNR, which in marginal cases may gain you more speed than you lose. Maximum bandwidth is generally the way to go only if you have great signal strength and no interference.

Also, I have read in the forums that some people recommend not sharing an SSID between bands, and indeed I have never tried it. I'm not sure what the specific issue is with such sharing. Generally I prefer deciding for myself what to connect on what band, depending mostly on range. In my house 5 GHz covers two rooms only, and 2.4 GHz is for everywhere else or if I know I'll be roaming around the house with a particular client.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably misunderstood about my way of getting the esp8266 devices working or you tried one of the many fixes out there.

The best mode of operation for ESP8266 is to have a separate Virtual VAP, not Ath2.
This VAP needs to have a different SSID than your primary and must have wmm disabled.

The setup you have now is great and if you wish to convert to using the VAP method, you should setup the SSID on the extra router with the dedicated SSID you plan to use on the 3200. The trick with using the 3200 VAP is that it is unlikely you will be able to setup the Sonoff devices with wmm disabled since most tablets and phones won't connect. To that end I have always setup my sonoff devices on a separate router using my dedicated ESP8266 SSID then being able to get them on my 3200. Kind of a pain in the butt to jump through hoops but it works. There is also a way it can be done on the 3200 but that is another story.

If you are happy with the setup you have and it's working stick with it. If however you decide to dump the extra router, just drop me a note and I can guide you through. I run four routers most of the time and sometimes more if I have a special requirement, just have to be cautious about cross channel interference.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: