Wireless Repeater Bridge unexpectedly slow (okay on wired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 21:53    Post subject: Wireless Repeater Bridge unexpectedly slow (okay on wired) Reply with quote
Hello DD-WRTrs,

I know you have probably seen this question a lot, but please bear with me. I have tried searching both on the forums and through Google and exhausted all other methods.

After flashing my TP-Link WR841N (rev 10) router with the latest available (beta 3.0 build 40189) version, I tried setting up a wireless repeater bridge. After finding the correct instructions (took me more than I would like to admit) I was having issues connecting to the wireless bridge via WiFi. After some extensive searching, I discovered that this was caused due to the network being set to N-only mode and a weird bug.

So finally having my repeater bridge fully set-up, I connected to it and I'm getting very slow speeds (roughly 8mbps). I am aware the bandwidth connection is halved when using a wireless repeater since the device needs to talk to the router first, however my main connection is 75mbps to the testing servers, and I am getting the expected 30mbps when connected via a wire to the wireless repeater.

As soon as I connect the same computer wirelessly however, the connection drops to the abovementioned 8mbps. This is not a signal issue, the devices are all next to each other in the carried tests.

Unfortunately bridging via a cable is impossible, since the current one connecting the two rooms together is implemented in the wall and went FUBAR. We spent several hours with a technician yesterday trying to diagnose the issue, and 4 of the 8 wires of the cable were somehow shorted.

We were not able to get a connection running through the other four (albeit we were getting some signal passing) and the entire thing was completely inexplicable to us. If you have any suggestions on this, this is a much better solution to me.

Please help me in resolving this, as this turned out from a quite acceptable workaround while I figure out what to do with the wire in my wall, to a connection that is not able to stream properly (the effective speed is 6mbps where the router will actually be located).

Thank you in advance!

Update: I also just noticed that my connection is getting disconnected and reconnected often. The disconnects don't last long, but enough to be noticed and to lose connection etc.

Last edited by engmia on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
what is the other router
what r u connecting from -> to
what are ur wifi settings
is the backbone 2.4 or 5 ghz

you gotta get more info.

my setup is for a 300/20 mb line and i get 200+ mb on the repeater

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply Gallo.

I didn't provide this information as I didn't think it was relevant. My other router is Linksys EA6350 (rev 2). I have tried connecting to the wireless bridge with multiple devices to rule out receiving device issue (albeit all of them already tested and getting full out bandwidth over the main network) -- and it is definitely confirmed that is not the case.

It's a 2.4Ghz network, but the signal is not the issue. As mentioned the 8mbps tests were made with the main router -> repeater -> connecting device right next to each other. When placed far away in separate rooms as they will sit accordingly, it drops to 5-6mbps effective bandwidth. The wireless settings are the default of DD-WRT, with the adjustments for a wireless bridge.

I agree with you that's it is not normal and something must be wrong! I fully see why I can't get the full bandwidth, but if I get at least 20-25mbps I'll quiet down. Tell me if you need anything more.
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch to 40mhz width and make sure your on 1,6, or 11 as should be your main router. You said in the op that a wired connection on the repeater gets pretty decent bw so play with the settings a bit to see if it helps. It is pretty tough for the little guy to do the negotiation with the ap and send out a good signal on the same radio. good luck

edit: a 2 radio setup with one radio dedicated as a backbone would do alot better.

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
My routers don't have 40mhz settings. Do you have any other settings to suggest?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wireless->Status will tell you the connection speed.

Wireless speed is always half duplex. With a 56M G-type, you will not get more than 1/4 of that.
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Wireless->Status will tell you the connection speed.

Wireless speed is always half duplex. With a 56M G-type, you will not get more than 1/4 of that.
The connection rate is 144mbps (I believe this is what you are asking for?). It is NG mixed (N-only is unavailable due to a bug preventing connection to the wireless network) and the main router is on 2.4Ghz N-only. I have tried "mixed" on both routers, and I only get 3-4mbps.

As mentioned, my network bandwidth is 75mbps in full capacity. I get around 30 connected to the repeater via a wire. I only get 8mbps connected wirelessly (not an issue of signal).

This is 1/10th of my full capacity speed, where the expected result is half. Thank you.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
engmia wrote:
The connection rate is 144mbps

Is it saying that on the clients list?

engmia wrote:
I get around 30 connected to the repeater via a wire.

This is the normal speed for a G-type connection.

On the main router, is the repeater connected with HT20 or HT40?
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
engmia wrote:
The connection rate is 144mbps

Is it saying that on the clients list?

engmia wrote:
I get around 30 connected to the repeater via a wire.

This is the normal speed for a G-type connection.

On the main router, is the repeater connected with HT20 or HT40?
It is saying that on Status -> Wireless. The main router is 20mhz as well.

And the expected half-bandwidth of a wireless repeater which I should be getting, and I would be happy with it if I could achieve it when connected wirelessly.

It's also worth nothing that the repeater if set-up as main router will provide full bandwidth (70-75mbps) in mixed mode.
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also just noticed that my connection is disconnecting and reconnecting quite often. The disconnects don't last long, but enough to be noticed and to lose connection etc.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings
Thank you for the suggestions. I have read through both and had already followed all the steps.

The wireless connection is still crippled unfortunately.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:36    Post subject: Re: Wireless Repeater Bridge unexpectedly slow (okay on wire Reply with quote
engmia wrote:
We spent several hours with a technician yesterday trying to diagnose the issue, and 4 of the 8 wires of the cable were somehow shorted.

It depends on if the 4 good wires is 2 pairs or not.
The WR841N is FastEthernet only, so it needs only 2 pairs of wire.
engmia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37    Post subject: Re: Wireless Repeater Bridge unexpectedly slow (okay on wire Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
engmia wrote:
We spent several hours with a technician yesterday trying to diagnose the issue, and 4 of the 8 wires of the cable were somehow shorted.

It depends on if the 4 good wires is 2 pairs or not.
The WR841N is FastEthernet only, so it needs only 2 pairs of wire.
Unfortunately it seems the cable is FUBAR. There are only 3 good wires, all others short out. We tried connecting it to those 3 and treating the 4th as "one large" but it didn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: